[PC] Dead Space 2

Hey, you guys are putting me off buying it :( ! I found the demo boring but I guessed the whole game might feel like a complete experience after the rave reviews it got ! Should I get the first one instead?
Or is it like Re5 which also wasn't a horror game at all but a shooter and thus the rave reviews.

I think the first Dead Space is probably best and I definitely suggest you start there. Overall the gameplay is quite similar to Re4/5. I think Dead Space 1 has decent horror ambiance to it but it's no Penumbra. They are very linear, obviously scripted third person shooters in a cool gothic / hard scifi setting. The first game has a System Shock 2 vibe.

Yes play the first one before the second. I still liked the sequel, but my expectations were quite high for it. I really liked the first one.

I wrote this in 2008 in the Dead Space console thread when I was playing it

I'm about 10h in and this is pretty close to being a game of the year... Absolutely incredible, I can't think of anything wrong with it and usually I'm able to nitpick atleast on something. The controls and button layout are perfect, it looks good, the athmospere is great, the story is interesting and the way it's being told works really well.

The weapons are really good, unique and different than in any other game. The user interface and upgrading system leave nothing to wish for more.

It's kind of like Bioshock in space expect everything is better. I LOVE IT!

I probably liked it more than most people, but definitely start there :)
And it's dirt cheap to get them both these days.

OK after hearing from you guys looks like I'll take a pass on Dead Space 2 as I found the first one horribly boring and not scary in the least. Initial control issues before people knew to cap the framerate also made a dreadful game even worse, but at least introduced a bit of horror of its own as you fought with the controls to try to get your weapon aimed at anything. :D.

Hey, you guys are putting me off buying it :( ! I found the demo boring but I guessed the whole game might feel like a complete experience after the rave reviews it got ! Should I get the first one instead?
Or is it like Re5 which also wasn't a horror game at all but a shooter and thus the rave reviews.

It's a basic FPS game with some interesting weapon concepts along with the ability to upgrade your weapons.

It's a horror game if you think that splashing blood everywhere = horror. In some ways it tries for a System Shock 2 type of horror atmosphere but it fails miserably at it.

This is all the first one as I haven't even touched the second one yet. I do have to give it props for some of the interesting weapons as well as the dismemberment, but that isn't enough to prop up an otherwise very average FPS, IMO. For 5 dollars it probably isn't bad. For the full price I paid however, it was horribly overpriced (for me).

Hell for 5 dollars, take a chance. At worst you got just another FPS. At best you might like it as much as Dr Evil and some others here.

Regards,
SB

There's also animated movies which tell the story up until the start of the games. They help you get into the vibe of the game. Don't expect anything groundbreaking as far as gameplay goes from it and you should enjoy it.

I didn't really care for it all that much. I just thought it got more and more unfair the further you progressed into the campaign. It was also way to predictable to ever become remotely scary. Enter the next room, watch as it gets flooded with the same 3 or 4 types of necromorph, hope you don't get blind-sided, repeat approximately 900 times, the end.
There was one really enjoyable level which I don't want to spoil. Not only was it unexpected, it was also just about the only level where the developers allowed the game to build some tension. On the whole the game also lacked the sense of urgency that was ever prevalent in the first game. Not only did Isaac have to deal with all the nasties, he also had to make sure the Ishimura didn't melt down in the process.
The big hook in DS2 on the other hand (i.e. Isaacs deteriorating mental condition), was laughable at best. It was handled with the grace and subtlety of a sledgehammer, and I never bought into it for a second.
The team most likely saw plenty of horror movies. Unfortunately they either skipped all the really good ones or didn't quite get what made them effective.

I just thought it got more and more unfair the further you progressed into the campaign.

Oh yes, the game played a cut scene that introduced a new monster, one that reanimated new bodies.
I get off the train an low and behold a room with about a dozen dead bodies (being an experienced gamer I knew what was going to happen next)
so i cut up the bodies and threw all the pieces onto the railway track. I exit the room to do something plot related, and have to return to the room. I think to myself "I wonder what the reanimate monster is going to do when it enters the room and there are no dead bodies there" guess what the game put all the bodies back.

Back