[PC] Dead Space 2

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
DRM notes (2xDVD release):
"Release Date Verification"
Internet Activation (right click on icon to deauthorize)
EA.com account sign-in on game startup

Graphics: clear step up from the original game and vsync isn't capping me to 30fps. Unfortunately it is still a D3D9 engine and it has no AA support, and their new shadowing system kills NV's AA hack. Their shader-based edge blur AA is again nearly worthless. Would probably run well on a first gen PC SM3 card (oh gosh I wonder why!!).

Gameplay is basically the same but new settings and some fun enhancements to old tricks. Isaac talks and swears a lot though (maybe supposed to be cool), unlike his fitting eerie mute-ness in the original.

I'm just getting started.

didnt the original ?

I quess it did, but I played it on Xbox and after seeing how ME didn't have pad support I was afraid this wouldn't either. Dead Space 1 is one of my favourite games this side of the millenium and the pad controls were great in the first one, so I'm just very excited to get to play this now on my new PC with a pad. have to wait a bit though. I have to finish some stuff at my college first.

Im replaying through the first one and the game cheated on me
I entered a room with a load of dead bodies and I thought to myself I bet soon one of those creatures will appear that re-animate dead bodies so using telekinesis I removed them all and dumped them onto the train tracks. then later on the creature appeared in the room and the game had put all the bodies back :(

wtf, why? You're required to signup for one of their accounts to play the game?

I had to sign up for that stupid rockstar social club crap just to play gta4 :(

wtf, why? You're required to signup for one of their accounts to play the game?
Yup just like with Mass Effect 2. Just another way to make sure you can't easily share or sell your game.

They also attach DLC to the game this way. It even unlocked some goofy extra just for setting this all up lol. The new way to entice you into DLC by giving you some "free" DLC.

then later on the creature appeared in the room and the game had put all the bodies back :(
I saw a creature appear on the ground out of nowhere once in DS1. The game is usually sneaky and spawns them where you're not looking but I happened to spin around at just the right instant.

Graphics: clear step up from the original game and vsync isn't capping me to 30fps. Unfortunately it is still a D3D9 engine and it has no AA support, and their new shadowing system kills NV's AA hack. Their shader-based edge blur AA is again nearly worthless. Would probably run well on a first gen PC SM3 card (oh gosh I wonder why!!).

That was going to be my first question, thanks.

Damn this is disappointing cause on the PS3 the game looked great to me...but on the PC I wanted more and reading this thread makes me feel like its not worth it.

Don't listen to 'em, I played it on PC and loved it to pieces! Fantastic game, looked gorgeous and played smooth and scary. :)

Going back to retry the first one now that someone taught me how to fix the vsync/lag issue.

It does look good. It is definitely an improvement over the original which was pretty nice already. I just wish AA worked in some fashion.

MLAA should work but SSAA probably isn't doing anything...

MLAA even works on video playback. ;) Very flexible. Looks funny tho.

I got NV AA working like with DS1. Unfortunately it breaks the maximum quality shadow setting and you end up with the shadowing being like DS1 essentially. But MSAA and SGSSAA work again and give the perfect image.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3870857
Not my shot but tis perty.
deadspace22011020117471.jpg

Finally got around to install this game. I haven't had much time to play lately and I have lot's of games on my to do list. This was always the game I'd start first.

Is there anything with regards to settings etc. that I should know before I start playing?

It's pretty straight-forward. I haven't messed much with the settings. I just set everything as high as possible. Don't use their blur filter "anti-aliasing". Haven't experimented with driver-forced AA though (I assume MLAA would make a lot of the in-game UI menus look weird).

Don't use their blur filter "anti-aliasing". Haven't experimented with driver-forced AA though (I assume MLAA would make a lot of the in-game UI menus look weird).

In the settings do you mean the "blur" setting or the "anti-aliasing" setting :)

I'll try to force some AA and stuff from the nVidia control panel, but I'm throwing rocks in the dark with that.

The anti-aliasing setting. :p I think the blur is the motion blur that they sparingly use in certain scenes.

I guess the only thing to watch out for on nV is screwing up the shadowing (as mentioned earlier). Don't know what's going on there. :s

Back