OMAP4 & SGX540

Seems I called it right on the day they made the original announcement. Getting rid of 1,700 R&D jobs in Omap division sounds like a major downsizing to me, and is totally in line with my original assessment that they will purely support those deals they are contractually obligated to do so, and are focusing on new markets that require siginficantly less R&D. Also, you don't fire that many people if there is any chance of someone else buying the division.

I think we can say the chances of Rogue appearing in TI chips that ship in significant volume (10-100 millions) any time soon, have just got dramatically worse.

Add TI to the list of Rogue licencees who's output of a rogue chip seem to get ever further away (include ST and Renesas).

Clear favourite by a mile now is Apple, with mediatek next perhaps with a smartphone chips. Of course who knows about the other 4 unknown licencees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things can change but up to now MediaTek hasn't been particularly aggressive with its roadmaps from what I've seen. I'd rather place my bets on HiSilicon before that.

For TI the supposed Amazon deal (if even true) would had been an interesting option, but I still didn't understand how TI intended to pull something like selling OMAP to them over. It sounded like a complicated affair from the get go and I'm afraid it might not be the only case we'll see in the nearest future that might end up at a dead end because of inter-conflicting interests.

They say USA has 60% of all Android tablets in the world?
I call total, utter, complete bullshit on that.

Good proof of it is their methodology:
We base our studies at Localytics on usage of apps with Localytics installed as an analytics and in-app marketing solution. With insights into over 500 million unique devices, Localytics’ studies provide a unique perspective into mobile and smart user behaviors.

So they're only counting the tablets that use certain apps with certain in-app ads that are connected to the internet.
Guess what? Many people in Europe use tablets offline a lot, to watch series/movies, read pre-downloaded newspapers and comics, etc. Free/carrier hotspots aren't really abundant, so people download the content when they're at home and use it during the day. 3G plans for tablets aren't really popular either, as most seem to prefer paying less for a WiFi tablet and use a data plan in the smartphone.

Those guys are probably just counting the tablets that make heavy use of cloud services like Netflix, Google Play, etc. Those services aren't even available in most of the places where Android tablets are sold.

That study is worth zero. I have no doubts that the Kindle Fire is the most sold Android tablet in the US, but saying that a family of US-only Android tablets accounts for one third of the sales in the whole world is downright naive, IMO.

Back in September, Eric Schmidt was very clear about the tablet that has been responsible for getting the sales up:
Schmidt said that tablet account for 70,000 of those 1.3 million daily activations — in other words, a mere 5.38% of the total. Acknowledging the difference, Schmidt said that the figure is going up — thanks to the success of the Nexus 7.
If the Kindle Fire sales were that much of an aberration, as far as counting 33% of all Android tablets in the world, he wouldn't have said that.

Back in September, Eric Schmidt was very clear about the tablet that has been responsible for getting the sales up:

If the Kindle Fire sales were that much of an aberration, as far as counting 33% of all Android tablets in the world, he wouldn't have said that.
Do Amazon Kindle Fires count toward Google activation numbers since they use a fork and don't use Google's services?

Have they updated the article in the meantime? From that link:

RIM’s new flagship will be the BlackBerry Z10, a device that features a 4.2-inch HD display with 356PPI (pixels per inch), dual-core TI OMAP 4470 1.5GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB of internal storage, an 8-megapixel camera, NFC, LTE support and a 1,800mAh battery.

The BlackBerry Q10 is RIM (or should I say BlackBerry?) first BB10 smartphone with a keyboard, offering a 3.1-inch (720 x 720 pixel) 330PPI display, dual-core TI OMAP 4470 1.5GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage (microSD slot included).

Have they updated the article in the meantime? From that link:

I searched for articles for Q10 and skipped the Z10 bit. A lot of sites are calling the Z10 as Qualcomm, but that site and arstechnica are calling it as omap4470.

So it remains unclear, unless anyone here has definitive news ?

I searched for articles for Q10 and skipped the Z10 bit. A lot of sites are calling the Z10 as Qualcomm, but that site and arstechnica are calling it as omap4470.

So it remains unclear, unless anyone here has definitive news ?

Your guess is as good as mine. I just read the page you linked to.

Back