OK, I switched to Firefox... Early impressions follow.

Guden Oden said:
Then if a plugin can fix so left-clicks on links that lead to external sites don't open a new browser window but rather a new tab (I use a tabbed browser to get AWAY from windows all over the place, dammit! :p) and middle-clicks don't open ANYTHING, but rather just autoscroll, then I'd be much happier. :)

Try here .

Guden Oden said:
I would like to have the genuine Google toolbar back tho. It has many functions the built-in search in FF lacks, direct access to translation is one of those that I tend to use a fair bit of.

Look here

This is all in the default Firefox extensions page when you click on "more extensions", so it's just a question of looking.

i just tried Spell Bound and its one of greatest extensions I have seen, thanks man.

looks like my posts on beyond3d will be much more understandable from now on....heh......

Guden Oden said:
and middle-clicks don't open ANYTHING, but rather just autoscroll, then I'd be much happier. :)

Type about:config into the address bar, then enter "click" in the "browse for" box. Double-click on "browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick" - setting it to false will disable the middle-click new tab action.

As for scrolling, I have "autoscrolling" checked, and "smooth scrolling" unchecked under "advanced settings". It may be worth trying different combinations until you find one you like.

Those of you with HL2, may also be interested in a Steam extension.

I just found out that for a quick startup add -turbo in the shortcut.

Just wanted to share the joy, of really fast loading Firefox. :D

Guden Oden said:
Why does it default to slow-loading? :oops: :LOL:
I think it just hurries up and load the most essential parts of the program first so you can begin for example a search before everything has loaded, but I'm really not sure as I can't tell the slightest difference with the "-turbo". Are you sure it you typed it right Druga Runda?
Anyway Guden Oden I can't imagine how you could not like the "middle click to open in new tap" feature, to me that's one of the best features in Firefox, and I can't imagine how it could possibly cause anyone with rudimentary motor skills any trouble. It's very simple, click on link open, click anywhere else scroll screen.

Squeak said:
Guden Oden said:
Why does it default to slow-loading? :oops: :LOL:
I think it just hurries up and load the most essential parts of the program first so you can begin for example a search before everything has loaded, but I'm really not sure as I can't tell the slightest difference with the "-turbo". Are you sure it you typed it right Druga Runda?
Anyway Guden Oden I can't imagine how you could not like the "middle click to open in new tap" feature, to me that's one of the best features in Firefox, and I can't imagine how it could possibly cause anyone with rudimentary motor skills any trouble. It's very simple, click on link open, click anywhere else scroll screen.

well normally it takes a few seconds (1-5) to actually load, without any switch, and well it is one of the few things I found slightly annoying with Firefox, IE loaded faster (I mean I still couldn't use IE, as it's really inferior once you get used to Firefox). However with this switch it loads instantly.

As you said it probably preloads earlier on, so to bring up GUI really takes a second. I am really happy with this so there ;)

- I have really no idea why isn't this default? Hopefully it won't start doing something weird over time...

just for the record here is the whole line ;)
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -turbo :D

Druga Runda said:
- I have really no idea why isn't this default? Hopefully it won't start doing something weird over time...

It wasn't set as a default to avoid problems on systems with a small amount of memory.

thegrommit said:
Druga Runda said:

It wasn't set as a default to avoid problems on systems with a small amount of memory.

well good, it makes sense... maybe they should add this as one extra installer option or something. This will be the first thing I do at work tomorrow. I've got an older PIV1.8 and some 40 gig drive there - it can really take forever to load there.

Is it the same as making Firefox the default browser?

?

If refering to the above - surely not, it's just speeding up loading time (if you had ffox closed, that's all, it's a little slow in that department by default settings)

Squeak said:
Anyway Guden Oden I can't imagine how you could not like the "middle click to open in new tap" feature, to me that's one of the best features in Firefox

Best features? :oops:
Why is it even featuring tabs if left-clicks on links to remote sites defaults to opening new windows all over the place? It makes no sense.

, and I can't imagine how it could possibly cause anyone with rudimentary motor skills any trouble. It's very simple, click on link open, click anywhere else scroll screen.

You have no imagination then. Too bad for you.

It's got nothing to do with motor skills, it's a matter of consistency. If middle-click on nothing or on text autoscrolls, why does middle-clicks on links (or linked images) open a new tab? It's completely illogical. Now I have to check my mouse pointer isn't hovering over some fucking adbanner or something when I want to autoscroll. With any other browser that I know of, it's enough the mouse pointer is somewhere inside the window/frame I want to scroll.

Just for shits and giggles, you go over to HardOCP and click on an image on that site, then middle-click on the image itself when it has loaded. Sometimes they have very large images on that site, but as they also use javascript to close the window when it's clicked on, what happens in FF when trying to autoscroll the image is a blank tab is opened instead. That's sheer genius programming, don't you agree?! ;)

well what can I say there.... I nver liked IE autoscrolling, but for someone who likes it, it must be a pain - but I would expect that the feature can be turned off somehow (opening tabs trough middle click)...

(btw.... I love opening tabs that way :D )

Well i love it so far, but it has crashed a few times now and i'm not sure why. This forced me to go back to Explorer, which is good enough most of the time........

london-boy said:
Well i love it so far, but it has crashed a few times now and i'm not sure why. This forced me to go back to Explorer, which is good enough most of the time........

crashed????

what were you doing?

on my systems IE is the one that crashes, FF does not...

Druga Runda said:
london-boy said:

crashed????

what were you doing?

on my systems IE is the one that crashes, FF does not...

I have no idea whatsoever. And when it tried to send the report thing to the website, it wouldn't work... Oh well.

it crashed few times here also...but that would never make me go to IE. :D

i have reporting agent on and i send every report to them so they can work it out....

Back