nVidia's response to Valve

Referring to what I was wondering: Valve has said they do use a really recent fxc and the ps_2_a profile for the "nvfx" path, though it doesn't seem to contribute significant performance gain right now.

DaveBaumann said:
HDR is currently not in the benchmark mode because NVIDIA don't support float buffers at the moment and the benchmark was designed to render equally on all systems.

Hmm, if it's a next gen benchmark that needs PS 2.0 in order to render correctly (in this case for HDR), then surely there is an argument for saying cards that can't render properly should be penalized in the final score? Dare I say it, much in the same way that cards were penalized in 3DMark2003 for not being able to run the more advanced shaders or not being "enough" DX9 to run correctly/quickly enough.

Otherwise, by the same logic, shouldn't the benchmark be reduced down to DX7 levels because a GF4MX can't render equally to the DX9 standards that the game is actually targeted for?

DaveBaumann said:
Hi guys,

OK, I've only just got back home in the UK from Shader day and am beginning to catch up on the aftermath of Gabes statements.

I've not read all this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I see that NVIDIA are suggesting using PS1.4 for many effects and there will be limited visual difference. There is a problem with this though.

Whilst Valve were there they displayed that they had implemented higher dynamic range into the engine. HDR will be available in the game to those that support its requirements, however it is not currently implemented in the benchmark. HDR needs the a higher range, and PS1.4 only has -8, 8 range which is probably not enough - the HDR effects also require float buffers which none of the current NVIDIA drivers support. There is also dramatic visual differences between HDR being enabled and disabled.

HDR is currently not in the benchmark mode because NVIDIA don't support float buffers at the moment and the benchmark was designed to render equally on all systems.
Welcome back Dave, I appreciate the above insite and look forward to more of your take on this....but go get some rest so I can go crash before you 'plain it all and I miss the fun, I mean get some rest and hit it in the morning. ;)

DaveBaumann said:
Hi guys,

OK, I've only just got back home in the UK from Shader day and am beginning to catch up on the aftermath of Gabes statements.

I've not read all this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I see that NVIDIA are suggesting using PS1.4 for many effects and there will be limited visual difference. There is a problem with this though.

Whilst Valve were there they displayed that they had implemented higher dynamic range into the engine. HDR will be available in the game to those that support its requirements, however it is not currently implemented in the benchmark. HDR needs the a higher range, and PS1.4 only has -8, 8 range which is probably not enough - the HDR effects also require float buffers which none of the current NVIDIA drivers support. There is also dramatic visual differences between HDR being enabled and disabled.

Interesting. When you get the opportunity: I'd appreciate if what I bolded is or isn't feasible & if it could be used with DX8.1 cards > if possible. 8)

Take the time to 'catch up' as a lot is being said.

Pardon me, but what should we think about the Half-life 2 benchmarks now, in light of the above?

It seems that an important feature of the final engine has been disabled in the benchmark version. Wouldn't this affect the scores of different video cards? Wouldn't this make any current comparisions between various video cards, especially the NV3x/R3xx line, invalid?

Also, a lot of screenshots have been released from the benchmark version, including the image of the cave + pool of water DX 8/8.1/9 comparision. If HDR is not activated, then the DX9 version can't be what it should. Let me also note that many people reported that they see no big difference between DX8 and 9, so they don't understand what's the big fuss is about...

And Valve has disabled HDR just because NVIDIA has a driver problem (which should not even be there in a WHQL driver) - it is strange that now they decide to favor them...

It seems that an important feature of the final engine has been disabled in the benchmark version. Wouldn't this affect the scores of different video cards?

The point of the DX9 benchmark was to create like for like conditions. The standard DX9 path does this, as both NVIDIA and ATI are doing the same amount of work. HDR is actually a very new addition to the game, however if it were enabled by default in the benchmark then either, due to a lack of float buffers, the FX would fail to post any scores, or this effect would be disabled and there wouldn't an equal comparison.

IT has to be said, though, that I don't think everyone there appreciated this point and with HDR enabled there will be visually dramatic differences between the DX8 and DX9 paths.

DaveBaumann said:
IT has to be said, though, that I don't think everyone there appreciated this point and with HDR enabled there will be visually dramatic differences between the DX8 and DX9 paths.

Dave, any feedback on what kind of performance hit you'll take with this enabled in the game? Say on a Radeon 9700 Pro? ;)

nelg said:
Are you saying that HDR will never be available on the nV3.x ?

This feature all comes down to driver support. Currently Nvidia's drivers do not offer float buffers. It is unknown if/when Nvidia's may support this.

My own opinion on this is if they don't have support for this now, close to a year after DX9 release, then they will never support it on drivers for NV30/NV35 cards. So much for their golden drivers...

Microsoft did mention they might do a point-release of Dx9 to support a new conditional floating point texture/render target formats.

Similar to conditional non-pow2 limitations, it should allow cards that can't do full Dx9 floating point texture enough usage for HDRI etc.

Any idea if HDR will be enabled in the public release?

Actually OUCH that will even be a sore point for Nvidia users... seeing the option greyed out for them :LOL:

Question >

"mshdribl" is a HDR demo that was released earlier this year. GF3 (DX8) users can run the demo. If DX8.1 can't support HDR due to the lack of 'range' > how can the GF3's run that demo? If it is software/CPU emulated, can't that be driver implemented for all DX8.1 & lesser cards? :?:

:arrow: :?

Hmmm, http://www.4gamer.net/specials/hl2int/hl2int_e1.html HDR was discussed @ SIGGRAPH 2003 in July, according to that interview w/Valve. Seems Splinter Cell also uses HDR for DX8. Hmmm.

Edit: correction on the demo & date.

Wasn't mshdribl originally a DX9 only demo then a DX8 compatable demo was released some time after the original release? I'm pretty sure that is the case and I'm pretty sure I remember GFFX 5800 ultra onwer running that DX9 demo... if i'm right then why can the GF FX run this demo and not the HDR in HL2?

Uttar said:
3. The worse is that with all this crap, it seems to me management is actualy believing these e-mails. And that quite simply because, well, they still got to trust their employees... And it's higher-end employees sending e-mails to all employees...
So, what do we have here?
A mess, a complete mess for multiple things, that management is barely aware of.

And no, comparing this to 3DFX ain't original :p
Well, now this has me concerned for nVidia's future. I'm just a gamer with an above average interest in vidcards, yet it appears for most of this year my grasp of the situation has been better than nVidia's. :?

Somebody at nVidia hasn't been earning their salary lately...
Do you think this hl 2 flack will wake them all up? If this doesn't do it, nothing will.

DeanoC said:
Microsoft did mention they might do a point-release of Dx9 to support a new conditional floating point texture/render target formats.

Similar to conditional non-pow2 limitations, it should allow cards that can't do full Dx9 floating point texture enough usage for HDRI etc.
Thanks for that, but could someone please explain what that means to a thicky like me?

Would someone please dumb that down a level for me? I'd really like to understand it. :oops:

Too confusing to judge in there, nelg. Seems like a particularly interesting bench to spread around and let hardware reviewers check out and post about, though.

nelg said:
While on the topic of HDR, here is another program that can be used as a benchmark.
http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/index.html

Some results.... http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18027
Guess which card performs better ;)

I ran this on my Geforce FX 5900 before I requested a return-material authorization for a Radeon 9800 a few weeks ago. There is no need to explicitly run a benchmark - the performance difference is quite evident...

Interestingly enough, the program does not appear to operate correctly on a Geforce FX 5900 (at least not with the 45.23 drivers - depth-of-field does not function, and the glare types do not appear to be applied correctly).

Over 1200 views since I posted my question & no answers? :rolleyes:

Ok then, lets try it this way:

Dave,

Wanna explain why you think HDR needs DX9 & PS2.0 when it evidently doesn't or why you feel the nV drivers don't support HDR when many ppl can run both the ms & rt HDR demos w/nV DX9( :? ) cards & drivers? 8)

Thnx,

Back