Nvidia Turing Speculation thread [2018]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Voxilla, Apr 22, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Everyone is saying that DLSS upsamples a sparse render and therefore increases performance vs rendering the equivalent number of pixels.

Why couldn’t that same tech be used to simply AA an image with no upscaling funny business similar to FXAA?

2. hughJ

Regular

You can also intelligently bias where you're going to focus your packets of rays. A de-noising filter is nice, but it's probably not going to handle the edge cases very well that really exemplify what ray traced global illumination can do that rasterization can not. In particular I'm talking about cases where almost all of the scene is lit indirectly from a small area source (a crack in a doorway into dark room, light through a keyhole, etc.) Markov Chains and "Metropolis Light Transport" are what spring to mind as more classic statistical attempts to help this, and I'd imagine having a DL neural net attack that problem might be a faster hack.

3. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

Infiltrator doesn't use raytracing and it takes advantage of DLSS. It's a super-resolution type of technology, not a denoiser.

4. DavidGraham

Veteran

Epic representatives again repeated the same thing, the demo took 4 Volta GPUs originally, now it took one Turing. There is no conspiracy here. Just more optimizations, DLSS inclusion and RT acceleration on the RT cores.

#504 DavidGraham, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  5. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Just in case you are not being sarcastic: That's just a grossly oversimplified illustration to show how different parts of the calculation can overlap. In fact, RT- and Tensor-Cores are integrated into the individual SMs. Even under the assumption that the chip shot is just an equally oversimplified artists interpretation and not resembling reality at all, it would take large amounts of energy to move all that data around for a single frame. The 24 bright spots in the upper and lower horizontal middel for example are most likely the Raster Backends/ROPs.

Cat Merc, Kej, Alexko and 3 others like this.
  6. giannhs

Newcomer

i learned not to believe anything that nvidia or others affiliated with them say unless i see a poc that fiasco of the 5xxx series was literally the last nail for me when it comes to that company

7. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

You're still mad about the ~15 year old FX series?

8. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

HE CAN'T HEAR YOU. FX5800 MADE SOME DAMAGE !

(I'm joking)

Cat Merc, Alexko, Lightman and 3 others like this.
  9. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Prejudism is allowed to mature too ;)

10. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

The point where I'd disagree for the above is that the difference between G80 and G70 based SKUs went up to 3x times in performance differences in ultra high resolutions of the time, while at the same time the first delivering several significant improvements in terms of image quality. It's not like Pascal or recent former generation GPUs had as crapalicious filtering quality as everything NV4x/G7x based.

11. pharma

Veteran Regular

Cat Merc, Lightman, fellix and 2 others like this.
  12. Voxilla

Regular

Curious we didn't hear yet about another NN possibility, namely Deep Learning Super Slomo.
    Inconveniently this also abbreviates to DLSS. Deep Learning Super Framerate also could do :)
    This would be another one in the series of Deep fakes, but it can look surisingly good.
    The advantage in game rendering would be, you only need to render at 30 FPS, to get fluid 60 FPS.
    It would not reduce the frame latency (or make it even worse) though.

Lightman, CSI PC and OCASM like this.
  13. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

DL super slowmotion looks fantastic and I can see that being picked up for sports very quickly. The NFL should be all over that.

vipa899 likes this.
  14. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

On the countrary, it's always better to actually film @ very high fps in the first place. I'd expect media and other professionals to be able to afford that.

I view DL super slowmotion as instead a fit for hobyist and more importantly, cloud services like Google photos. The latter can just scan through your material and propose ehancements such as slow-motion-ifying portions of your latest holliday videos

BRiT likes this.
  15. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Assuming the block diagram is a 1:1 representation of the port arrangement of the LSUs for each respective architecture, it appears NV has transitioned from a single 4-wide LSU to dual 2-wide units, each connected it's own slightly smaller pool of L1/shared mem and a 2x larger block of L2. Not a GPU architect but I would guess this has to do with the new instruction/core types featured in Turing.

Lightman and pharma like this.
  16. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Since apparently they don't have it already, or not very high fps, then I'd say it would be a lot easier and cheaper to add in a post process at the end of the chain rather than replace a lot of equipment throughout the chain.

17. pharma

Veteran Regular

@vipa899
    Those diagrams are already in the thread.

vipa899 likes this.
  18. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Oh ok.

19. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

I'm not familiar with the market of high fps digital videorecorders, but I'd presume it's recently growing in adoption and variety (so "they don't have it already" is not such a strong argument). The "live" nature of TV sports transmissions would make any post processing steps less apealing, IMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.