Nvidia Licenses Xbox Tech. for Backwards Compatibility

Adding texture filtering was an easy addition, with (presumably) enhanced texture units that were used in exactly the same way but provided interpolation.

Adding filtering or AA to PS2 games on PS3 will likely be a lot harder if not impossible, depending on how the hardware is used (which I'm no expert on). Perhaps anisotropic filtering could be easily added (no shimmer - count me in!).

jvd said:
archie , what features do you believe the nv2a has that the xenos doesn't ?

What about those specific shadow techniques where we see issues on the PC platform for the ported titles? Then again... ATi did add a fix for the hardware soft shadows or something for SC:CT...

er... wait... DST+PCF?

Fafalada said:
The GameMaster said:
The PS2 architecture is just too messy to effectively emulate (heck it is bad enough trying to get PS2 emulation on the PC).
You're assuming that Sony gave the job of their backward compatibility to a bunch of hobbyists with incomplete documentation and no real development tools.
Um, no. Even experts would take a long time emulating the full complexities of the PS2 on the PS3. And I haven't seen that Sony has that many software experts to spend on this problem. Of course, they could subcontract it, but the job will be hard regardless of who performs it.

Back