Nvidia GT300 core: Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you haven't played the game enough to experience that but apparently others have.
Nobody has experienced rats with daedric armor. Bandits, yes. Rats, no.

Anyway, I personally don't know why everybody is so annoyed at this issue. Auto-leveling content is basically a necessary evil for a sandbox game, if said game is actually going to allow the player to do a variety of things. I also never understood how people could say the game doesn't give you a sense of accomplishment. I mean, sure, up to about level 10-12 or so, the game gets consistently harder, but after that it tends to get easier as (at least for my characters), my growth in power significantly outstrips my opponents'. I always understood the low-level ramping up of challenge a consequence of making the low-level game insanely easy to give players a chance to get to learn the game before being thrown challenging opponents.

Finally, sure, they probably should have scaled back a bit on the availability of glass and daedric gear at high levels. Though the way the game mechanics work that would have made all of the bandits at high levels into complete pushovers, just because of the game's mechanics.

As a side comment, I don't recall anybody leveling similar accusations on Mass Effect.

Finally, sure, they probably should have scaled back a bit on the availability of glass and daedric gear at high levels. Though the way the game mechanics work that would have made all of the bandits at high levels into complete pushovers, just because of the game's mechanics.

Yeah but thats part of the fun :D Nothing beats getting stopped by some bandit who tells you to hand over your money or die when you know your gonna absolutely kick his ass :D

I had a custom spell that could kill about 5 bandits simultaneously if they were close enough :devilish:

In fact f*ck this, I'm gonna go and play it now and kick some bandit ass :p

Yeah but thats part of the fun :D Nothing beats getting stopped by some bandit who tells you to hand over your money or die when you know your gonna absolutely kick his ass :D
Haha, well, I always do. It's just that I like for it to be more than just a single "*whack* *dead*" as it was in Morrowind.

I had a custom spell that could kill about 5 bandits simultaneously if they were close enough :devilish:

In fact f*ck this, I'm gonna go and play it now and kick some bandit ass :p
Hehe :) I'm actually working through Morrowind right now....will probably get to Oblivion afterwards!

Actually my beef isn't that there isn't enemies that are too weak. But there aren't really any enemies that can stomp your face in without even taking a deep breath when you go into area's you know are probably too tough for the current level of your character.

Thus giving you some real motivation to work your way up and stomp it. And THAT is a nice feeling of progression. Same goes for beating something you KNOW you probably shouldn't be able to and then getting a piece of armor your character can't possibly wear for X amount of levels or is incredibly overpowered for his current level, allowing him to curb stomp everything his level until he goes to areas that are probably too tough for him again.

As it is, Oblivion's autoleveling is just ho-hum and just makes the game incredibly bland and dull. There's just absolutely Zero challenge to the game.

And even when enemies get easier it isn't the same as going back to easier areas, casting 1 AE and seeing everything on the screen drop like flies.

Perhaps that's why I've almost universally HATED all modern sandbox games. Because they are SOOOO incredibly bland because all enemies are always right around your level. While I absolutely LOVE older sandbox games like Fallout 1 and 2 because while you could go anywhere and do anything...sometimes enemies were just too tough.

I mean just how good would all those Kung Fu movies be if the Hero didn't get his face stomped in and then spend the rest of the movie furiously training up so he could then defeat the bastard who was stronger than him?

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody has experienced rats with daedric armor. Bandits, yes. Rats, no.

Anyway, I personally don't know why everybody is so annoyed at this issue. Auto-leveling content is basically a necessary evil for a sandbox game, if said game is actually going to allow the player to do a variety of things.
It's NOT a necessary evil, that's the thing. If you make the progression such that certain areas are intended for certain levels of play, then auto-leveling isn't a problem. See: World of Warcraft (and many other MMOs), inFamous, GTA,, or...aw screw it, ALMOST EVERY OTHER DECENT OPEN-WORLD GAME EVER.

I also felt that it was kind of weird that the highway bandits were among the strongest enemies in Oblivion, but I still enjoyed playing it.

Having modded Oblivions leveling system I really seen how crappy it was with it's grouping, item tables for the groups etc. To hell with regular city/village people allowed to reach lvl 99, have glass/daedra/etc equipment. Also ridicolous how the creatures around the roads etc got godlike as you levelled up. And to make things worse your level -8 step and any creature base level below that was culled out of game. The item system was crappy to. What was to be found in chests/rewards was according to your leveling instead of intelligent placement based on location difficulty, place, owner etc.

For rewards they should have had a random selection of item quality/strength as reward.

For creatures they should have used their aggressive leveling table for inner deep forest and around roads one that included all creatures minus the ones that are not likely to be found there. ghost, big lizards, giants in the deep forest, simpler ghosts, wolfs, bears near roads.

etc etc etc.

Been there, seen it, changed it. What a mess it was. :eek:

It's NOT a necessary evil, that's the thing. If you make the progression such that certain areas are intended for certain levels of play, then auto-leveling isn't a problem. See: World of Warcraft (and many other MMOs), inFamous, GTA,, or...aw screw it, ALMOST EVERY OTHER DECENT OPEN-WORLD GAME EVER.
But then that makes it a different sort of game. One where you can't go anywhere and do anything. There is some amount of freedom in those games to choose your path, but the lack of auto-leveled content narrows the paths that you can take significantly.

Why does everyone want to play an MMO? This is an RPG as in Role Playing Game, in fact I see it as the truest of the sorts considering it takes into account role playing. This is not a grind fest so you can do your quests level up and go to the next area, that would really be retarded and make for an dull and repetitive feeling game.

Back to the topic of this thread... Are there any bets going on if its going to be released Q4 or Q1 2010? I have Rupees from Zelda I would like to bet.

Back to the topic of this thread... Are there any bets going on if its going to be released Q4 or Q1 2010? I have Rupees from Zelda I would like to bet.
Well, my bet would be Q1 2010, just because information seems to be lax, and delays are really, really common in tech in general (it's just the nature of the beast). I would place my confidence at Q1 2010 (vs. Q4 2009) at about 62% (note: 50% confidence would mean I don't think anything either way).

I doubt there's anyone here that would like to bet a months' salary on GT300 availability this year. A launch, maybe, availability, hardly.

I doubt there's anyone here that would like to bet a months' salary on GT300 availability this year. A launch, maybe, availability, hardly.
Well, whether or not there's availability at launch depends on a wide variety of factors, not all of which are on the manufacturing side. If the part turns out to be fantastic, and thus in high demand, then availability will be low no matter how many nVidia produces.

Though I suppose I should also mention that with us being in what is basically an economic depression right now, it's a mite more likely that they'll have a lack of demand, rather than a lack of supply, even if it is a great part.

Steve Jobs would :D
He's only earning $1.00 a month or so. Not a big deal if he loose.

Seriously though, more and more leaks are pointing to crappy 40nm TSMC process delaying both RV8xx and GT3xx more than anything else.

I just hope to see GT300 preview (paper launch) this year.

Well, whether or not there's availability at launch depends on a wide variety of factors, not all of which are on the manufacturing side. If the part turns out to be fantastic, and thus in high demand, then availability will be low no matter how many nVidia produces.

Though I suppose I should also mention that with us being in what is basically an economic depression right now, it's a mite more likely that they'll have a lack of demand, rather than a lack of supply, even if it is a great part.

Economic slump and suspected competitor parts. G300 started out as "the next $650 or $700 product."

I would suspect that sometime last year the plans were drastically changed when they started on 40nm and saw what happened to price spectrum. postponing it's launch a couple of months to re-engineer (cost-cut) seems a logical step. That's my reasoning behind the 2010 launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back