NV30 to be launched at Fall 2002 Comdex

Anand did, however, visit nVidia this weekend (Friday?) to talk about the NV30.

Yeah, I got a good chuckle out of reading Anand's blurb. He visited ATI months ago with plans to publish an "inside ATI" article soon afterward. Looks like he won't even do THAT, without first doing the same for nVidia. ;)

Oh and as for nVidia launching new products at Comdex....that may be a bad omen.

The last company to make big announcements / launches at Fall Comdex was 3dfx. ;)

Joe DeFuria said:
Anand did, however, visit nVidia this weekend (Friday?) to talk about the NV30.

Yeah, I got a good chuckle out of reading Anand's blurb. He visited ATI months ago with plans to publish an "inside ATI" article soon afterward. Looks like he won't even do THAT, without first doing the same for nVidia. ;)

What I don't get is that he visits nVidia to talk about the NV30. They already made the preview on the CineFX which was kind of a tech preview on the NV30. What more is there to talk about before the paper launch come up anyway?

No, I would just say to nVidia 'call me back when you guys have some working silicon to play with' ;)

"Your ignorance about what news get's posted at nV News is probably a result of not being a frequent visitor."

Your ignorance of my visiting habits is probably a result of you not being a mindreader. Don't PRESUME to know anything about me, Mike.

I visit NVNews plenty, and I don't think I'm wrong in calling the site an Nvidia fansite especially since even YOU do it in this thread... I know you guys post about other things than Nvidia stuff, and that's cool.

What's not so cool is that as soon as an issue with ATIs drivers is discovered, it's IMMEDIATELY that same old tired tune of 'ATI is up to their old scummy tricks again with shitty drivers blah blah blah'. R300 is a new architecture for crying out loud, drivers are first-gen, of course there'll be BUGS. Where's the news here really? Why can't you guys give them a freekin BREAK already?

Did any of you at NVnews bash Nvidia when the GF3 displayed an opaque environment-mapped windshield with a cloud texture on it and not much more in Mercedes Benz Truck Racing for example? The GF3 was ALSO new at that time, with first-gen drivers. What's that supposed to prove, other than that new stuff behave a bit quirky at first. Like I said, give 'em a break, it's getting old beating that 'bad driver ATI' horse.

*G*

PS: And Chalnoth, if it worked with the 21.83 driver but not with 28.xx and 30.xx, it's bloody well NOT the OS's fault, okay? Now please stop this nonsense.

If you look at Rage3D or Driverheaven, there is a distinct difference in the news postings...you will never see posts like i.e "while I was browsing the Nvnews forums, I noticed the 4600 having xyz issues "...
Do a search on the news posting from either site and will not see posts of those nature...

A much more professional way of posting IMO.

Chalnoth said:
You can't necessarily blame certain issues on drivers. There are some that you can obviously blame on drivers, but others that you can't.
A truly profound statement. No, I mean it. :rolleyes:
Other stability issues are not necessarily due to the graphics driver. For example, if a new graphics driver includes some optimizations, logic dictates that they will stress the rest of the system a little bit more. When the rest of the system is stressed a little bit more, something is more likely to break.
Oh I see. nvidia has clearly optimized their full-screen DOS handling in such a way that it breaks other things in the system due to the incredible amount of stress these ultra-fast drivers produce.

Sounds like BS to me, but what do I know.

nvnews posts links to both positive and negative articles on ATI, just as it posts articles on motherboard manufacturers, AMD, and Intel. I think you are guilty of selective reading.

No one is saying that NVNews isn't an NVidia biased site. But to claim that they only link to negative news about ATI is a biased view of the site. They have linked to positive articles about ATI in the past.

You never stop DT. If it's not comparing NVidia hardware, it's comparing NVidia marketing, or NVidia developer support, or NVidia drivers, or NVidia timelines, and now it's comparing NVidia fansites. What's next, comparing penis size between ATI and NVidia fans?

Is your world view so distorted that ATI is a force of all that is good, decent, and excellent in the world, and NVidia and all of its followers are equivalent to Sauron and the Orcs?

DC,

Just stating the obvious, Nvnews has a history of posting issues from competing forums, I think they should spend a little time posting whats going on in their own...especially the mythical driver perfection forum.
Some of it has to do with the people that have news posting ability...

The danger in posting stuff from forums is that "it's Here say", the issue could be a error on the end user...anybody remember 'these pictures were rendered on a NV30" or the Reactorcritical article thats shows the now famous graph of the Nv30 2X faster than a 9700...and its not even here... :LOL:

multigl2 said:
DemoCoder said:
What's next, comparing penis size between ATI and NVidia fans?

this could get real ugly real fast :oops: :oops:

I don't like to brag but...
wink.gif

Grall, I would like to ask you something: is DOS still a supported OS? Either by nVidia, ATi, Microsoft, Bin Laden or God knows who? If it still is, please point me to that link so that the bliss that is my ignorance be utterly destroyed. :LOL: WindowsME doesn`t even include DOS, except for the files that you can take from the emergency repair disk and ressurect this long dead hero. Now that we`ve cleared that, I was wondering which of the rather recent( say 2 years or so) game titles have been built for DOS? I`m not defending nVidia`s drivers, they have inherent flaws, and anybody who claims that drivers from them, ATI or any other competitor are bug free is severely in the dark. But to rain fire because ancient progs that aren`t supported anymore and aren`t all that interesting as a purchase reason don`t work anymore is, how should I put it, exxagerated to say the least. And in all fairness, at home I have some nVidia boards and some drivers including the 40.41 and a subsequent version, and an old DOS title works on them under WinXP ;)

Well he has two complaints...one was Seti and the other was DOS...now this is what he stated..
I just installed the latest set for WinME (30.82, and WHQL certified at that, PAH!), and the damn thing is doing SOMETHING to my system that makes it jerk regularly, PLUS eat all spare CPU cycles so SETI@home gets left with nothing. No, it doesn't show up in a task monitor program, it's some invisible process that does all the eating (probably that which makes the system jerky).

So he installed the latest WHQL on a currently supported OS and he states his CPU cycles are getting used up, switching the driver makes it go away...Seti is not a dos game and runs on XP and ME.

That can be considered an issue worth complaining about. The next step in fixing it would be to post some system specs( if they have already been posted, I apologize). It may be due to a certain hardware configuration accompanied by a "fitting" software one. "Jerky" is a hazy term at best. What do you mean by jerky: a) the system has bad responsivness (it takes forever to open word, excel, photoshop etc.) in general and it eats your CPU cycles even when supposed idle or not fully loaded or b) jerkiness happens in games( can be caused by various things) and CPU cycles are eaten away only when you play, which would be explainable since the focus for the last driver revisions has been performance thus reducing idle time for GPU and CPU in order to produce the speediest possible interaction. Waiting for your answer.

I had several problems with stability and system jerkiness some time ago because of the VIA drivers. For example, America's Army would lock up or crash my computer every few minutes. Different versions of Nvidia's drivers changed how long it took, but didn't prevent it. It appeared to be some issue with AGP and interrupts and how heavy the bus was being used. When I upgraded my AGP 4-in-1 driver to the very newest, it completely went away.

Joe DeFuria said:
Not everyone agrees that when "whatever" issue pops up on an nVidia system, it's NOT due to the drivers, and when "whatever" issue pops up on a non nVidia system, it IS due to the drivers. :rolleyes:

Joe, did I or did I not just give two examples of obvious driver issues on nVidia video cards?

I think the point was pretty simple. When any bug is mentioned regarding ATI hardware, certain people on this forum consistently blame ATI's "poor drivers" as the culprit. OTOH, when an issue is brought up regarding NVIDIA hardware, everything other than NV's drivers are blamed (OS and Via drivers, for example). I think Joe was just pointing this out in case you or others were under the pretense of being anything like neutral.

There are, of course, members that do the exacty reciprocal.

OpenGL guy said:
Bigus Dickus said:
There are, of course, members that do the exacty reciprocal.
Yeah, I think I'll blame nvidia for ATi's bugs ;) :D

Actually people really do this. The argument about how "all games are coded for Nvidia hardware" is essentially blaming Nvidia for ATi's bugs.

DemoCoder said:
nvnews posts links to both positive and negative articles on ATI, just as it posts articles on motherboard manufacturers, AMD, and Intel. I think you are guilty of selective reading.

Well said DemoCoder. We also post links to positive and negative articles concerning NVIDIA and their products.

Grall said:
What's not so cool is that as soon as an issue with ATIs drivers is discovered, it's IMMEDIATELY that same old tired tune of 'ATI is up to their old scummy tricks again with shitty drivers blah blah blah'. R300 is a new architecture for crying out loud, drivers are first-gen, of course there'll be BUGS. Where's the news here really? Why can't you guys give them a freekin BREAK already?

What exacty is it that you find offensive with Scott's post?

"I've been following a thread at Rage3D since yesterday, and it reminds me of the AGP 4X issues that were seen with the original GeForce's. I'm pointing this thread out to anybody who might be considering a Radeon 9700-based product. Read through this thread and check to see if you're going to be OK with your hardware."

Grall said:
Did any of you at NVnews bash Nvidia when the GF3 displayed an opaque environment-mapped windshield with a cloud texture on it and not much more in Mercedes Benz Truck Racing for example? The GF3 was ALSO new at that time, with first-gen drivers. What's that supposed to prove, other than that new stuff behave a bit quirky at first. Like I said, give 'em a break, it's getting old beating that 'bad driver ATI' horse.

Like I said before, we post the good with the bad. All you need to do is search our news posts.

Back