NV30 to be launched at Fall 2002 Comdex

Sorry Chal, I don't believe in blaming DRIVER bugs on the operating system!

Fullscreen dos apps worked fine with the 21.83 driver, was broken in the 28.whatever driver I used previous to this one and it's STILL broken!

So let's put the blame where it belongs, alright?

*G*

I don't care where the blame belongs. Windows ME sucks.

And if those older drivers worked for you, use 'em.

Chal, you make no sense.

Wether ME in your opinion sucks or not is irrelevant. Fact is, driver is buggered. And while I could go back to the 21.83 driver to play Duke, that would break the purty advanced pixel shader in 3dmark 2001 and we can't have that now can we... :)

Actually, I don't NEED fullscreen DOS support that bad, but it would be nice if the damn driver actually could SUPPORT IT the way it's supposed to in case I'd like to play some old DOS-only game or whatever!

It's not as if Nvidia hasn't had time to fix this issue, and yet people keep badgering ATI again and again for their drivers. (Another example of THAT btw was yesterday on the NVNews front page, sigh. Helloo, you're a Nvidia fansite, what do you CARE about ATI's driver quality, or lack thereof? D*mn f*nboys...)

*G*

Grall said:
It's not as if Nvidia hasn't had time to fix this issue, and yet people keep badgering ATI again and again for their drivers. (Another example of THAT btw was yesterday on the NVNews front page, sigh. Helloo, you're a Nvidia fansite, what do you CARE about ATI's driver quality, or lack thereof? D*mn f*nboys...)

*G*

Hrm yeah you don't see to many articles posted on Rage3D about Nvidias driver woes do you? Mayhap they ought to?

I doubt very much that the nvidia fanB@ys will drop the complaining about ATI driver quality any time soon. Now it appears there is a ground swell of unfounded poor ATi driver claims popping up all over different message boards now. De Ja Vu? Seems like some sort of idiocy on mass.

Maybe the term nvidi@t is more appropriate then I had once thought. There are very few legitimate issues with ATIs drivers these days AFAIK . There were little to none complaints in most every review that I have read.

And no, Grall, it's not necessarily a driver bug. It could be due to drivers that weren't completely uninstalled previously, or simply a corrupted Windows installation. There are many things that can cause problems on a PC, and the video driver is just one of them.

Regardless, quit complaining until you get a better version of Windows, at the very least. ME is a buggy POS.

Chalnoth,

I'm an experienced PC user, I know how to troubleshoot my system.

No, it's not a broken driver install, nor trashed OS install (of course I have eliminated these possibilities first, I'm not a total n00b you know). I had the 28.32 driver version previously, even on a completely CLEAN OS, it still behaved the same way. It's not an OS issue, you can drop that line of speculation now.

Your Nvidia-apologist behavior is somewhat grating on my nerves. So you like Nvidia, fine. Just don't let it get to your head, alright? Sometimes they DO screw up you know... (And btw, if you bother to check the alt.comp.periphs.nvidia newsgroup, you'll see I'm not alone in having this issue.)

I wouldn't bother so much if it wasn't for the fact there's afaik no win32 port of the old Build-engined games, so only way I can play them is through shitty old DOS...

*G*

Chalnoth said:
And no, Grall, it's not necessarily a driver bug. It could be due to drivers that weren't completely uninstalled previously, or simply a corrupted Windows installation. There are many things that can cause problems on a PC, and the video driver is just one of them.

Regardless, quit complaining until you get a better version of Windows, at the very least. ME is a buggy POS.
Oh good lord man.
This is a new low for you - blaming driver bugs on the OS to save face for your company. :rolleyes:

Chalnoth said:
That's the spirit! Instead of actually admitting their might be a bug in nvidia's driver (heaven forbid!) it must be a Windows bug! I mean everyone one knows Windows is buggy, so it must be the culprit. :rolleyes:

Anytime people on Rage 3D complain about Radeon 9700 issues on Windows ME, I'll just point them to your above quote. :LOL:

Grall said:

*G*

Your ignorance about what news get's posted at nV News is probably a result of not being a frequent visitor. If you were to search our news archives for the word "Radeon", you'll get 47 pages of news posts. However some people might assume they're all against ATI.

NVNews is not NVidia specific IMHO. It's more like Slashdot or other news aggregators. I've seen news about politics and science discoveries posted too. I wouldn't take one ATI link as some kind of pattern.

That's the spirit! Instead of actually admitting their might be a bug in nvidia's driver (heaven forbid!) it must be a Windows bug! I mean everyone one knows Windows is buggy, so it must be the culprit.

I remember a little while ago when someone released a program on this forum and because it was having problems with the Geforce 3 and 4 cards quite a few people came out saying the prog wasn't very good. There logic was actually that Nvidia drivers are so perfect that if any app has a problem with them then the app cannot be well written. But of course if a app has problems with any other video card driver its the drivers fault. I mean serious :rolleyes: can you get anymore arrogant and pathetic then that?

And before anyone claims I hate Nvidia I'll let you know that I have a Gainward TI4200 on its way to me as I type. £104 inc VAT and overnight delivery BTW.. not a bad deal eh? ;)

DemoCoder said:
NVNews is not NVidia specific IMHO. It's more like Slashdot or other news aggregators. I've seen news about politics and science discoveries posted too. I wouldn't take one ATI link as some kind of pattern.

Sorry I disagree. NVnews is not disqualified as an nvidia fan site just because they post OT news. In fact I believe that NVnews is the premier nvidia fan site.(I may be wrong but that was my impression.) I gather you would think it was appropriate for Rage3D to post nvidia driver problems if they posted the odd bit of science news now and then? It would be fitting for nvidia driver issues to be pointed out IMHO sense their are issues with nvidia drivers just as well as ATIs. Can anyone say "double standard".

OpenGL guy said:
That's the spirit! Instead of actually admitting their might be a bug in nvidia's driver (heaven forbid!) it must be a Windows bug! I mean everyone one knows Windows is buggy, so it must be the culprit. :rolleyes:

That is only to true. I and many of my friends had problems with windows-me and a nvidia card, shortly after the release of it (windows-me). Mainly Bluescreen or hang on bootup, bluescreen at shutdown ... . This happend with the nvidia driver that was official even months after the release of windows me. And only with the nvidia drivers, inserting an other vga-card (I tried it with a matrox g200) or installing the vga driver resulted in a stable system.
Later some leaked driver appeared that solved the problem.

But everybody said Windows-Me is instable, shit ... , and Nvidia drivers are great ... .

Sorry for this OT post

Sabastian said:
Sorry I disagree. NVnews is not disqualified as an nvidia fan site just because they post OT news.

While nV News is certainly an NVIDIA fan site, as we've yet reviewed any other brand of graphics card, I believe that DemoCoder based his comments on the variety of news we provide. We try to average at least eight news posts per day and cover a broad scope of computer related content. However, we aren't blind to the other graphics products that consumers can purchase and encourage them to do so (by providing links to reviews or other important information). In fact, we attract visitors that don't even own an NVIDIA based graphics card.

I'd just like to repeat my point:

You can't necessarily blame certain issues on drivers. There are some that you can obviously blame on drivers, but others that you can't.

For example, if it is a 3D rendering error, and you aren't overclocked/don't have a bard card, it is almost certainly a driver problem. There are two examples that I can think of right now. With the 40.41 drivers in some titles (mostly D3D, I believe), the screen occasionally flashes for just a moment. It's mildly distracting, and obviously a driver issue. One other thing that I can remember was way back when I had the original TNT and was attempting to play GLQuake, the game was utterly unplayable (I could see the world being drawn...it's hard to describe other than that...). Later drivers fixed the problem (this was before the original Detonator drivers, btw).

Other stability issues are not necessarily due to the graphics driver. For example, if a new graphics driver includes some optimizations, logic dictates that they will stress the rest of the system a little bit more. When the rest of the system is stressed a little bit more, something is more likely to break.

You can't necessarily blame certain issues on drivers. There are some that you can obviously blame on drivers, but others that you can't.

I think everyone agress with that.

Not everyone agrees that when "whatever" issue pops up on an nVidia system, it's NOT due to the drivers, and when "whatever" issue pops up on a non nVidia system, it IS due to the drivers. :rolleyes:

alexsok said:
Relax guys, nothing special is going to happen tommorow, at least not anything that can be revealed...

My assumptions (if u can call them that ;) )

A new PDF will be released (probably revealing yet another feature of the CineFX architecture... but nothing NV30 specific).
Something will be shown running behind closed doors, although not to us... (Note: something will be shown, although don't bet to even hear anything about that... although i bet The Inquirer will definetly post some rubbish :D )

... and so the day came without any news at all.

Anand did, however, visit nVidia this weekend (Friday?) to talk about the NV30.

Back