NPD May 2017 Sales Results

The Digital Foundry news about Scorpio(X1X) came out in the beginning of April...I wonder if that had an effect on Xbox One sales..

It seems no one debunk the number on GAF. It is good for PS4 and very bad for Xbox One. The XB1 2017 US number are worse than 2005 OG Xbox..

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=243875241

It's weird though in that it's a one month outlier (for greatly increased PS4 sales). Prior month nothing like it.

Sometimes those months happen for no rhyme or reason. I guess you can credit the gold PS4 or whatever, but I'm skeptical.

Anyways for MS they need X1X to be a hit. Which I think it will be. But 499 will prevent it from being too mainstream.

For YoY year to date thanks to strong June it's now PS4+13% and Xbox -~10% or something (for the 6 months so far). That's not too crazy given PS4 came out with a more powerful console and VR and Xbox hasn't yet. Even though June looks drastic for Xbox.

I think overall (strong NPD June) it's putting PS4 up YoY YTD in the 2 territories we have numbers for now though (USA+Japan), which it wasn't prior.

It's too bad this leaker is apparently using exact numbers which according to legend NPD can track (I'm skeptical).

Last edited:
Agreed. They even officially dropped the price of the S down $20 for the 1TB bundles, or at least I'm seeing stuff that says "now starting at $279" which is $20 less than the $299 range. Of course now as I go looking for info on this I cant find it at all.

It's weird though in that it's a one month outlier (for greatly increased PS4 sales). Prior month nothing like it.

Sometimes those months happen for no rhyme or reason. I guess you can credit the gold PS4 or whatever, but I'm skeptical.

Anyways for MS they need X1X to be a hit. Which I think it will be. But 499 will prevent it from being too mainstream.

For YoY year to date thanks to strong June it's now PS4+13% and Xbox -~10% or something (for the 6 months so far). That's not too crazy given PS4 came out with a more powerful console and VR and Xbox hasn't yet. Even though June looks drastic for Xbox.

I think overall (strong NPD June) it's putting PS4 up YoY YTD in the 2 territories we have numbers for now though (USA+Japan), which it wasn't prior.

It's too bad this leaker is apparently using exact numbers which according to legend NPD can track (I'm skeptical).

The NPD guy just said no comment...

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=244001793

Probably good numbers but they are unsanctioned like he said and non authorize by NPD.

Are the June results really out of place ? Look at the big picture:

PfMk65H.png

The NPD guy just said no comment...

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=244001793

Probably good numbers but they are unsanctioned like he said and non authorize by NPD.

He referred to the leak as "unsanctioned information" not false. In fact a roundabout way of saying true with that phrasing. Another indicator it's likely true (although the lack of GAF NPD insiders stating the info was false was decent proof already).

Are the June results really out of place ? Look at the big picture:

Not really, I was incorrect. it's been about 2:1 most months this year.

Although strictly speaking it's not 2:1, (currently about 1.8:1 YTD) technically the Sony guy lied when he said that it was 2:1 in states (or maybe he could use excuse he rounded up).

Like I said seems MS has to hope X1X does well, and they've already handicapped it with that 499 tag. that said i still think it will be successful. But at 399, it would have been a gamechanger IMO.

I still think lately Ms is focusing way too much on nice aesthetics and not enough on reducing price. If X1X was as big as OG Xbox (enabling to maybe ditch the vapor chamber and all that) but 399, it would have done better. Of course these aren't necessarily correlated, a larger less polished form factor and no UHD Blu Ray player wouldn't mean 399, or 449, but possibly.

Sony is rolling on all cylinders, I dont see why they would want to release PS5 anytime soon. Are people that scared of Xbox One X when we keep hearing it'll be incredibly niche at the same time, etc etc?

But I forgot, do keep in mind Sony has launched both an upgraded console and PSVR in the last 8 months. Microsoft has done neither yet (maybe no VR of course).

It could be that PSVR is a selling point for PS, both directly, and because it offers a potential upgrade path even if the user doesn't want VR immediately.

BTW there was another chart on GAF that showed LTD in NPD PS4 is about 15% ahead of Xbox One.

Last edited:
Gold PS4 + Crash is a VERY popular title among PS fans. It was the best selling PS4 title for the month of June with only 2 days of tracking. It also sold extremely well in the UK.

PS4 had its best June ever according to NPD.

Back