NPD January 2016 Sales Results

Rangers

Legend
Last edited:
PS4 won January NPD

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/11/playstation-4-outsold-xbox-one-at-u-s-retailers-in-january/

Given a hint from Queso, I'd expect PS4 >200k and XBO <150k. Sony said PS4 was up YoY, so >189k.

Edit: Now Cosmic hinted PS4 up >20%, so 230k+

He also said 3/4 consoles GAF aggregate prediction was too high, PS4 now we now exceeded, so that means XBO was too high, and the aggregate was 153k.

So basically PS4>230k XBO<150k.

What were XB1 sales numbers during Jan-2015?

Software:
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
2. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
3. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
4. Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
5. Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
6. Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
7. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
8. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
9. Lego Marvel Avengers (PS4, Xbox One, 360, Wii U, PS3, 3DS, Vita)
10. FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

I still fail the see the point of standalone NPD threads, especially for slow non-holiday months.

Anyhow, Zhuge posted on twitter that nextgen to oldgen ratio is 96:4, and that Xbone sales are possibly quite down.

I still fail the see the point of standalone NPD threads, especially for slow non-holiday months.

Easier to find later on than to point into some huge megathread. I suppose you also think being organized is pointless?

Xbone sales are possibly quite down.

If my calculations are correct...
PS4 ~232k units (~193k units Jan-2015): +20% YoY
XB1 ~135k units (~153k units Jan-2015): -11.7% YoY

Price parity isn't the place where XB1needs to be... that's for sure!

And MS market share continues to evaporate, even in the country MS sacrificed all other countries for. The X1 isn't going to hit 85 million units and isn't going to end up matching global PS4 sales so short term comfort comparisons to 360 sales should be avoided IMO.

True story. At this point MS need any and every edge they can get. They're still selling a bloated whale of a machine (with a mini-whale of an air sucking PSU). Make it smaller and cheaper and use it to add value to people already invested in Win 10.

E.G. That Digi TV addon, that's getting DVR this year? Make it so you can control it from and stream to any Windows 10 device (just like with games). Suddenly any Win 10 machine gets live HD tv and recorded TV. Stuff like that.

Comparing the XBOne and PS4's sales trend seems like a valid metric to evaluate how they are selling and those *are* bad XBone sales. They sold less YOY when the PS4, which was already outselling it, increased their sales YOY. If that trend continues, they going to have to to dig a little deeper to find a way to stimulate sales.

If that trend continues, they going to have to to dig a little deeper to find a way to stimulate sales.

I've always wondered why Microsoft fought so little towards integrating their OS(s) and services (XBL) into smart TVs, smart media hubs and setup boxes... similar to that of Chromcast/Netflix/Hulu/Steam apps and services. Aligning themselves with Samsung, Toshiba, LG, Vizo, and so on - on getting their OS/Services into everyones living room without the associated cost of hardware. A pure cloud/streaming (Azure) gaming services that offers the exclusive brands (games) around the XBOX brand-name.

If my calculations are correct...
PS4 ~232k units (~193k units Jan-2015): +20% YoY
XB1 ~135k units (~153k units Jan-2015): -11.7% YoY

9ncjXcf.png

Official Jan-2016 NPD split, per CreamSugar.

Xbox One 130k

MoM drop was 91%

YoY drop is 13%

Weekly average

December: 1376k / 5 weeks = 275,200

January: 130k / 4 weeks = 32,500

PS4 227k

MoM drop was 86%

YoY rise is 20%

Weekly average

December: 1582k / 5 weeks = 316,400

January: 227k / 4 weeks = 56,750

Wii U 40k

MoM drop was 91%

YoY drop is 37%

Weekly average

December: 463k / 5 weeks = 92,600

January: 40k / 4 weeks = 10,000

LTD Market Share

PS4: 44% [+1%]
XB1: 39% [-0%]
WIU: 17% [-1%]

PS4 V XB1 GAP

<1.4m
Creamsugar gives pie chart on GAF for January NPD

9ncjXcf.png

January 2016 NPD number from GAF

Comparing the XBOne and PS4's sales trend seems like a valid metric to evaluate how they are selling and those *are* bad XBone sales. They sold less YOY when the PS4, which was already outselling it, increased their sales YOY. If that trend continues, they going to have to to dig a little deeper to find a way to stimulate sales.
Indeed looking at the immediate past is not casting the proper light on the trends at work this generation.
It is quite obvious that the adoption rate of this generation has been way faster that that of the previous generation of consoles. There are obvious reasons for that matter of fact, first the length of the previous cycle and the relative affordability of both systems (especially the once msft dumped kinect from the package). On the opposite side there are not a single evidence for a significant change in the market size: the is no change in the demographic the systems target, significant change in consumers buying power in the aforementioned markets (quite the contrary when you dig the details about how the middle class is doing... /ot ), neither of the systems offers something new.
So my personal reading of trends at work is that msft is in a tougher spot than the story achieved volumes in the US are stating. If not for msft money the system could have already been marginalised, the same money meet prevent that to happen, yet the trend won't revert and the gap will grow faster andbigger between the two systems.

Last edited:
Indeed looking at the immediate past is not casing the proper light on the tens at work this generation.
It is quite obvious that the adoption rate of this Benson has been way faster that that of the previous generation of consoles. There are obvious reasons for that matter of fact, first the length of the previous cycle and the relative affordability of both systems (especially the once msft dumped kinect from the package). On the opposite side there are not a single evidence for a significant change in the market size: the is no change in the demographic the systems target, significant change in consumers buying power in the aforementioned markets (quite the contrary when you dig the details about how the middle class is doing... /ot ), neither of the systems offers something new.
So my personal reading of trends at work is that msft is in a tougher spot than the story achieved volumes in the US are stating. If not for msft money the system could have already been marginalised, the same money meet prevent that to happen, yet the trend won't revert and the gap will grow faster andbigger between the two systems.

That's how I see it too. Ever since we've know the market isn't really growing, that MS are losing market share and that Sony had lots of PS4 owners that weren't PS3 owners, I think it's been clear that the exodus is on.

For the moment, MS have to find a way to keep as much of their existing (360 and X1) userbase as they can because it's clear that a Kinect powered UI and a HDMI input aren't particularly retaining customers and they certainly aren't attracting those half-billion TV watchers they were anticipating would grow the market.

Back