14. MLB 09: The Show - PS3
15. Professor Layton - DS
16. Resident Evil 5 - PS3
17. Call of Duty: World At War - Xbox 360
18. GTA: Chinatown Wars - DS
19. Guitar Hero Metallica - PS2
20. MLB 2K9 - Xbox 360

See ya around Killzone and Halo Wars!

Def one of the slowest NPD's in a while, and not just the lackluster numbers. Especially with E3 coming up stealing the hype.

Jeez, COD: WaW still charting on X360?

I'm surprised (somewhat) that KZ2 is already off the charts. I'm guessing word of mouth on the multiplayer may have killed its legs. Either that or there just isn't any word of mouth on the game period from owners urging friends to get it.

Halo Wars isn't surprising. RTS in general still isn't a big selling game type for consoles and Halo Wars was certainly a more casual type of RTS.

And no surprise, casual games continue to dominate for the Wii. Stronger than usual showing for DS titles what with the new launch.

And you can just see the execs at MS salivating at the thought of capturing even a fraction of the audience that is gobbling up Wii Fit in droves with their rumored body motion controller device.

Hell, Wii Fit has been out how many months now? And yet it STILL outsells the console.

Regards,
SB

I'm surprised (somewhat) that KZ2 is already off the charts. I'm guessing word of mouth on the multiplayer may have killed its legs. Either that or there just isn't any word of mouth on the game period from owners urging friends to get it.
Either way, the online component killed the game. Dunno if there's any way back from that. Could serious patching and a more appealing online game lead to a return to popularity, or is the game as good as dead now?

Either way, the online component killed the game. Dunno if there's any way back from that. Could serious patching and a more appealing online game lead to a return to popularity, or is the game as good as dead now?

Party's over. Hardcore gamers seem to have very short attention spans and an insatiable appetite for what's down the pipeline. With E3 and the buzz itll give to upcoming games, KZ2 will be long forgotten.

Hell, Wii Fit has been out how many months now? And yet it STILL outsells the console.

I got Wii Fit over a month ago and I use it at least five times a week. I'm very happy with it. It isn't a game at all, but it's an extremely useful product. I'd recommend it to anyone that has a Wii. The success of Wii Fit does not surprise me at all.

Gamasutra NPD recap

interesting bit here

Sony on the Brink

In 2007 and sometimes in 2008, Sony would refer to sales of the PlayStation hardware family – grouping the PlayStation 3 together with the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable (PSP) – to draw attention away from faltering sales of the nascent PlayStation 3.

Not even that artifice would have reduced the discomfort of Sony's paltry hardware sales in April, sales which reached a mere 415,000 systems across the three platforms.
advertisement_header.gif

While PlayStation 2 sales were bolstered significantly by a price drop to $100, the PSP and PS3 both looked extremely weak. Also PlayStation 2 software did not see a corresponding increase, and in fact software sales for the aging platform were down 47% from the same time last year, according to Wedbush Morgan's Mr. Pachter.

At 127,000 systems for the month (31,750 systems per week), the PlayStation 3 had its worst showing since October 2007, right before the introduction of the 40GB system at a lower $400 price.
Moreover, since Sony has made no moves on price in May, it is quite likely that when results for this month are reported in mid-June, the figures will be even lower.
ps-family-sales.gif
To understand just how attractive the $400 model is relative to the $500 model, the average sale price for the PlayStation 3 hardware (supplied to us by the NPD Group) suggests that the cheaper model is outselling the more expensive one by a ratio of about 9-to-1.

Consequently, Sony faces a PS3 hardware price cut. Publishers and retailers alike have been asking for it, and Sony's Dille made what could be construed as a veiled reference to a near-term price drop in a recent interview. (Such expectations, regrettably, could depress May sales even further.) The key questions about the PlayStation 3 price drop are “When?” and “How much?”. According to Sony's latest financial results, it believes it can sell 13 million PlayStation 3 systems globally from April 2009 through March 2010. That's up from the 10 million systems it sold in the previous fiscal year, and the 30% increase in PS3 sales will happen in a tougher economic environment (with higher unemployment, at least in the United States if not globally, and reduced consumer spending). Yet we already know that United States PS3 sales will be significantly down for at least two months of this new fiscal year (April and May). Even if sales in May are equal to those of April, the PlayStation 3 would be down almost 50% for the first two months of Sony's current fiscal year.

For this reason – to make up for lost sales then increase them year-on-year in adverse economic conditions – we believe Sony will announce a $100 price cut at E3 2009. The longer Sony delays, and the smaller the cut, the harder it will be to make the fiscal year hardware sales target.

We note that others believe the cut could come later, and that it could be only $50. If recent reports are true and Sony still loses $40 on each $400 PS3 unit, a smaller price cut would certainly be gentler on Sony's bottom line.

I read that too earlier today, it's a possibility but I would not bet my house on it :LOL:
Looks like Sony still lose money on the Ps3 even if the rumored slim version are cheaper to produce I'm not sure that will make up for a 100$ cut. It's all comes down to how serious Sony is when they state profitability first, if they are completely serious about it we could see no price cut for a while.
And between I'm sure it's a safe sport to go by estimate for the year either, that kind of figure have been changed more than once (no mater it's Sony, Ms or BigN).
A reason for this estimate (the 13 millions figure) could be that Sony think as they gain traction in Japan and are still doing well in Europe that FF13, Gt5 and GoW3 (+a price cut in early 2010) could push the 3 extra millions units.

Last edited by a moderator:
we believe Sony will announce a $100 price cut at E3 2009. The longer Sony delays, and the smaller the cut

I just don't see it happening at E3. Maybe 49.99 but not $100. They are going to bleed even faster if they are still losing about $40 on the PS3.

I just don't see it happening at E3. Maybe 49.99 but not $100. They are going to bleed even faster if they are still losing about $40 on the PS3.

you would think but Gamasutra's reasoning comes from this:

According to Sony's latest financial results, it believes it can sell 13 million PlayStation 3 systems globally from April 2009 through March 2010. That's up from the 10 million systems it sold in the previous fiscal year, and the 30% increase in PS3 sales will happen in a tougher economic environment (with higher unemployment, at least in the United States if not globally, and reduced consumer spending). Yet we already know that United States PS3 sales will be significantly down for at least two months of this new fiscal year (April and May). Even if sales in May are equal to those of April, the PlayStation 3 would be down almost 50% for the first two months of Sony's current fiscal year.

they are estimating that is the only way Sony would meet those projections in any logical way

they are estimating that is the only way Sony would meet those projections in any logical way
May be not ;)
The ps3 is doing better in Japan and it's not a mystery FF13 will be a huge success in Japan.
In Europe the ps3 sales look consistant I can't see sales crumble (there could be a little year to year slowing for some quarter). That leaves North America the trend is bad over there but unfortunately it is in the same place that the exchange rate hurts Sony the more.

Basically Sony can be crossing fingers in NA and bet on ff13 in Japan and on a price cut early in 2010 coming along GT5 and GoW3 to revamp system sales in all territories.
I believe that in Europe GT5 + 100 euros price cut could move quiet some units in not that much time.

But it's not to question that gamasutra take makes a lot of sense but it almost imply that Sony is ready to take the same road as Ms with the xbox: swallow the loss for the sake of market share.
In regard the hypothetical "slim ps3" Sony is not obliged to sell it cheaper actually a tinier "package" is an added value to the system and should be percieved as such, not as "they shrinked the chips, I should pay less".

Actually, a post from Rangers in the European sales thread also showed PS3 sales are trending downwards year on year.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1291769&postcount=164

So both the European market and US market are trending downwards for PS3 currently. I don't think the Japanese market can make up for this.

Combined with Sony projecting a 30% increase in sales for FY2009, and I think the only reasonable way for them to achieve this is through a price cut. And most likely sooner rather than later.

Otherwise, I just don't see how they will do it. I doubt even GT5 releasing this year would be able to make up the difference if they continue to sell less units in both Europe and the US compared to FY2008.

Regards,
SB

Back