Now that the dust has settled, what's the 360 really like?

Oh, I like Kameo a lot (finished the game too), but there are problems with the controls and cam for example. You won't find that in a Zelda game. So IMHO it is rushed; it could have been better with extra dev time.

NucNavST3 said:
I am going to have to disagree with you assertions. I think that if you took this same service and slapped the name Nintendo on it, people would be calling it the most innovative thing they had ever seen. Also, its the entire service that is the killer app and the fact that it gets my wife playing games bodes VERY well for the 360.
The only way for console gaming industry to reach the much scoffed at "1 billion gamers" remark is to get the casual gamers. So not only does the 360 have enough horsepower for next-gen games, but it has a delivery system in place to maximize the casual gamers market.

Well simpler games do have broader appeal. I think Yahoo Games draw more people than any PC or console online game.

But as more X360 games come out (and maybe some of the novelty of the new console and service fades), the appeal of the Arcade will probably wane over time.

Games are cool so far. Call of Duty 2 is great. PD0 is decent (but I still haven't had time to try the multiplayer online yet).

No problems with noise. I guess I got one of the lucky ones. No other issues either (I just got my 360 on friday). My 360 also sits vertically so no issues with disk scratching.

Media connect is sweet, however, the install is not as problem free as we would all like. I have a media center pc and still can't stream video even after spending several hours doing everything possible and searching for solutions. Media center is for the most part broken.

Wired controller is perfect. Wireless controller is ok. I don't mind the extra weight but the bulge by the batteries at the bottom of the controller cramps my fingers.

Headset is pretty weak. Static central on live. Never had that problem with the original Xbox and headsets.

I'll probably pick up DOA4 as well.

So far so good.

pipo said:
Oh, I like Kameo a lot (finished the game too), but there are problems with the controls and cam for example. You won't find that in a Zelda game. .

I guess you never played windwaker? Trying to control that sketchy ass camera with that tiny little 'knob' is annoying as hell, not to mention it seemed to spin different directions depending on your actions, so that made it even worse. That's not typical of Zelda though, usually the controls are flawless.

maximum said:
Media connect is sweet, however, the install is not as problem free as we would all like. I have a media center pc and still can't stream video even after spending several hours doing everything possible and searching for solutions. Media center is for the most part broken.

use a router, and make sure teh firewall on your PC has opened the correct ports (or use windows firewall and let the app do it for you)

my initial problem was I was trying to use 2 NIC's, as soon as I switched to a router it was fine. Works great, especially if you have a capture card in your MCE box. you'll have to make sure you're running 100baseT to get any decent FF rates with video's.

scooby_dooby said:
I guess you never played windwaker? Trying to control that sketchy ass camera with that tiny little 'knob' is annoying as hell, not to mention it seemed to spin different directions depending on your actions, so that made it even worse. That's not typical of Zelda though, usually the controls are flawless.

I had no probs with the knob and you can always reset the cam when you like.

Anyway, Kameo's is worse no matter what you think of WW's cam. :)

Don't get me started on the sailing though. *yawn*

kameo is great. it just depends how long it takes you to figure out you should turn your character first, then fire/aim, once you get that figured out it works excellent. characters turn on a dime, so if you just face the character wherever you want to target, then you hardly need to move the camera at all. only the water was annoying.

I agree. The water controls with Deep Blue and the aiming sensitivity with Chilla were the only thing that pissed me off about the controls in this game. Personally, I think Kameo is a better game than Wind Waker. 9/10

Perfect Dark Zero is a bit of a mixed bag. The multi-player on Live is fantastic and the weapons selection and some of the missions are great, but the big problem is the AI. These enemies are just a little too generic/cannon-fodder for my tastes. The UI could use some work as well. Single-player 7/10, Multi-player 9/10 - Overall 8/10

PGR3 is really good. I haven't played on Live yet, but the career mode has been fun so far. I'm just scratching the surface though as most of my time has been spend with Kameo and PDZ on Live. My initial view is that it's a 9/10 game though.

The X360 itself is amazing. I love the controllers, the awesome interface, the total integration with Live, and Live Arcade. The other great thing is the Gamerscore achievements system. It really makes you want to complete and get more out of each of your games. Really cool.

Overall the system/software are very good and there are some nice games on the way like Dead or Alive 4, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Lost Oddysee, Lost Planet, Halo 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, etc... I'm pretty excited.

I've been very happy with it so far. I picked up Condemned, PDO (traded it due to disappointing Single Player), PGR3, King Kong, COD 2, Kameo.

My favorite launch title so far is Condemned. The character models are somewhere between current and next gen, or last and current gen I guess you'd say now, but the backgrounds are nice. Some cool filters and a decent level variety, especially compared to other recent FPS game, even Monolith's own FEAR. Overall one of the more impressive lookers at launch, just behind, PGR 3(probably the highest quality launch title) and Kameo.

On other notes
-It's got a sweet ass controller.
-Great dashboard
-Improved Live features!

Oboro Shogun said:
I've been very happy with it so far. I picked up Condemned, PDO (traded it due to disappointing Single Player), PGR3, King Kong, COD 2, Kameo.

My favorite launch title so far is Condemned. The character models are somewhere between current and next gen, or last and current gen I guess you'd say now, but the backgrounds are nice. Some cool filters and a decent level variety, especially compared to other recent FPS game, even Monolith's own FEAR. Overall one of the more impressive lookers at launch, just behind, PGR 3(probably the highest quality launch title) and Kameo.

On other notes
-It's got a sweet ass controller.
-Great dashboard
-Improved Live features!

The "finishing moves" in Condemned are just downright brutal.

Just had my first go on a 360 kiosk today, with PGR3 on.

HO-LY CRAP!

Words can not descripe how underwelmed I was.

They didn't even bother to AA the ingame menus. Worse still, even the startup screen of the console, with the spherical 360 logo has aliasing.
It's the logo people are going to see every time they turn on the console for the next five years FFS!

PGR has very visible aliasing and barely better textures than an xbox game (lots of blur on trackside details). Lots of LOD popping and the framerate, even though they tried to mask it with motion blur, looks horrid for a racing game.

If this really is the best technical showcase for the console yet, that doesn't bode well, even if it is a launchgame.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's anything like the other kiosk demos it doesn't justly represent the game. I gotta say, I think PGR 3 is the best looking video game available today console or pc.

It was the retail version on a Samsung HDTV. What more do you want?
Of course it doesn't look bad per se. It's just very disappointing and not nextgen at all.
I'm beginning to think KK wasn't that far of the mark with the xbox 1.5 comment.

it sounds like the console wasn't seup for the correct res. PGR 3 has barely any jaggiess, and you'd only notice the jaggies on a small HDTV TV if it was running at 640 x 480 .

textures and frame rate?? The framerate in PGR3 is locked, the texturing is awesome. again, if it's 640x480, you're not going to notice much of a difference. also, as mentioned before this thread was for people that have new impressions after owning an xbox 360.

Squeak said:
Of course it doesn't look bad per se. It's just very disappointing and not nextgen at all.
I'm beginning to think KK wasn't that far of the mark with the xbox 1.5 comment.
Yes, it really is just a small step up. :rolleyes: Do you also buy your TVs based on how they look on the showroom floor?

Nice hi-jacking of a thread though.

.Sis

Squeak said:

Well if your opinion is based off of a demo kiosk; playing a game that does not use the system to its fullest(sp?), and without seeing / experiencing everything else the system is capable of (including Live) then yes KK could be right.

Back