Nobody watch Knight Rider?

I would have taken a 'vette myself.

I can't watch it (yet anyway, that website says I'm from the wrong region), but it doesn't sound like it's a good remake, sounds like it's gone into the past rather than the future.

Thats not a car but a plane without wings :D
Ok fair enough, but it did do 1228.018km/h!!! A slightly more conventional vehicle would be
ca_overview_top.jpg

which only goes at 563.418 km/h (350.092 mph) but, maybe, it could run on cooking oil :)

While 300 MPH is damn fast for anything on wheels, 200-225 is quite attainable by modern cars.

My own personal car easily tops 200 given the right road conditions.

With the A/C on :)

Figure you need a Cd of around 0.3 and 500 wheel hp. Not all that difficult to obtain!

300mph would be orders of magnitude more hp however. Probably in the several thousands range as the hp/speed curve is exponential. You can lower the hp requirement if you lower your Cd but then you run the risk of your car losing contact with the road. Anything under 0.20 Cd and things start getting dicey.

Anyway... I missed the show. I might catch it on line some time soon.

The veyron needs about 250bhp to reach 155mph
to go another 100mph it needs an additional 750bhp

The lowest drag production car is the Bristol Fighter T it has a drag coefficient of Cd 0.27 and produces 1012bhp
it it claimed to be capable of 270mph but is electronically limited to a mere 225mph @4500rpm

Last edited by a moderator:
While 300 MPH is damn fast for anything on wheels, 200-225 is quite attainable by modern cars.

My own personal car easily tops 200 given the right road conditions.

With the A/C on :)

Figure you need a Cd of around 0.3 and 500 wheel hp. Not all that difficult to obtain!

Not sure what kind of car you have, but here's a pretty cool article from Road and Track about 6 supercars and their attempts to reach the 200mph barrier. It's a pretty cool read.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=5680

I'll let you in on the fact that not even all of these exotics could hit 200mph...

I'm just waiting for someone to bring back Airwolf.

Best.
Show.
Ever.

Airwolf was a great show too. Loved the helicopter. I even made the plastic model kit. However, without Jan-Michael Vincent not sure how well it would go over. It never had the large following that Knight Rider had. Though it was certainly better than Blue Thunder, Streethawk and Automan.

Tommy McClain

Davros, you're still my hero. BUT, you forget that the Co-efficient is multiplied by the front facing surface area of the vehicle.

1BFC, what car do you drive?

I own a very slightly modified 1997 Toyota Supra. (And I don't really "drive" it much, sits in the garage since traffic sucks where I live).

Squlliam: I don't know about Davros, but I just left out all the "details" of the other parts that go into limiting top speed. Cd is the biggest factor though and many things add into it's calculation. Certainly frontal area is a big contributor as well. Using "normal" passenger car seating arrangements the frontal area on cars all fall into a similar range. Cars like the ones used on the salt flats are obviously not going to adhere to passenger car normals since they are purpose built. You can get the frontal area down a long long ways with a needle boat! :)

TokinRing: My car has quite a bit more hp than several of those cars in that review you listed. You'll note that of the cars that broke 200mph all of them had a minimum of 500 rwhp (the article lists bhp however so you have to remove around 15% of that to come up with a rough approximation of rwhp).

The Supra in my garage produces well over the magical 500rwhp mark so 200mph is quite attainable "given the right road conditions".

The right road conditions are??? No one around for several miles because you will kill someone otherwise as people don't realise the speed you are going. At the track is really the only semi sane place to do it to be honest.

Anyway, I didn't intend this to be a "look at me!" type thing I was just commenting on what raw power you need at what Cd to get to 200 or so and used my own experiences/car as a reference point.

strange i know someone with a supra its top speed was 135mph
one of these it was a nice car though apart from the fact it looked like a trans am :(

speaking of aerodynamics this is the normal bristol fighter (0.28cd as opposed to 0.27cd in the fighter-T)

"unfared headlamps reduce speed by 1.5mph but provide optimal night vision" - bah who needs optimal night vision ;)

dubyateeeff said:
Air Wolf remade would be so much better!
Yeah that would be cool. I have the first season DVDs. I'd been waiting forever to see that show again. It was almost never on TV. I liked Knight Rider too, but Airwolf was definitely my preference.

This is reminding me of lots of crappy '80s/'90s super-deus-ex-machina-shows. Super Force. Captain Power. Viper. lol

Airwolf was a great show too. Loved the helicopter. I even made the plastic model kit.
I made it too. :) I actually had an Airwolf gas-powered model Heli at one point. It was "fire and forget" lol, with no remote. It just went up and away!

Here it is! (You know I had totally forgotten about this until writing this post!). You start the thing by putting a glow starter on the engine and then winding a spring loaded mini prop on top and then letting go!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-80s-Cox...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Seems like they taken it back in technology.

Proper KITT didn't need no stinking nanobots to be bulletproof.

The japanese should remake it, then KITT might actually be a decent car. A Nissan GTR KITT would be awesome.

Is the guy that did the original KITT voice dead? I knew I wasn't going to like the new one the second I heard the damn voice.

Seems like they taken it back in technology.

Proper KITT didn't need no stinking nanobots to be bulletproof.

The japanese should remake it, then KITT might actually be a decent car. A Nissan GTR KITT would be awesome.

Is the guy that did the original KITT voice dead? I knew I wasn't going to like the new one the second I heard the damn voice.

I agree with their choice of car. The car absolutely requires a US muscle car, and something that's in production that they can easily get parts for. That rules out the future Camaro and Challenger. Plus, remember this was a backdoor pilot movie and those are always made on the cheap. So that rules all super and concept cars.

As for the nano-technology, you'll probably want a refresher on the MBS technology used in the old series. Evidently something happened late in the series with the formula(either got lost, stolen or something). They will probably explain in it in the series, but there was probably a reason why they went with the new nano technology. Either they couldn't reproduce it or abandoned it due to it being dangerouse from ricochets, etc. A lot of discussion on this topic over at the Knight Rider Online forums.

Tommy McClain

I agree with their choice of car. The car absolutely requires a US muscle car, and something that's in production that they can easily get parts for. That rules out the future Camaro and Challenger. Plus, remember this was a backdoor pilot movie and those are always made on the cheap. So that rules all super and concept cars.

As for the nano-technology, you'll probably want a refresher on the MBS technology used in the old series. Evidently something happened late in the series with the formula(either got lost, stolen or something). They will probably explain in it in the series, but there was probably a reason why they went with the new nano technology. Either they couldn't reproduce it or abandoned it due to it being dangerouse from ricochets, etc. A lot of discussion on this topic over at the Knight Rider Online forums.

Tommy McClain

I think there were 3 people who all had a piece of the MBS formula and any 2 of them could reproduce it (Early RAID config? ;)) Two of them were killed in the series so I could see how the formula was "lost". My problem with that is that they have made some tweaks to the original plot lines of the series now. Wilton Knight was supposedly the designer of the original KITT, now we have Graiman as the designer. Seems he would have had access to that formula during the process of building original KITT.

All in all I didn't despise the show. I guess when they try to remake a show like this that has soooo much potential they have a lot to live up to.

Oh and here's a post about why the Mustang was chosen, enjoy...
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/04/report-ford-bought-mustang-the-role-of-kitt/

If the Japanese remade it, KITT would have extensible tentacles to molest flat-chested "18-years-old" girls in school-uniform with.

no it would actually be called " Car with extensible tentacles to molest flat-chested 18-years-old girls in school-uniform"

Back