No sound over DVI

_xxx_

Banned
I recently got the DVI cable and connected my X1800GTO to the TV. The picture is great, but there is no sound at all. How do I make it work?

Could it be that I got a single-DVI cable here instead of dual? Would that explain the lack of sound? How do you tell the difference?

I recently got the DVI cable and connected my X1800GTO to the TV. The picture is great, but there is no sound at all. How do I make it work?

Could it be that I got a single-DVI cable here instead of dual? Would that explain the lack of sound? How do you tell the difference?

DVI does not support sound. you need to plug analog sound manually to additional input. (for example, in my Philips there's 3.5mm plug for PC/HD mode sound.)

DVI does not support sound. you need to plug analog sound manually to additional input. (for example, in my Philips there's 3.5mm plug for PC/HD mode sound.)

Well it's a HDMI connector actually, I thought it's supposed to transport audio as well. Oh well, then I'll look for the audio input...

Thanks! :)

DVI doesn't carry sound! Only HDMI does. You'll need a separate audio cable (phono or optical/coaxial depending on what you're plugging) to carry sound if you're using a HDMI-DVI cable.

Well it's got a HDMI connector on both ends, so I thought it'll work. Nevermind, I got it all working now. Thanks again!

Well it's got a HDMI connector on both ends, so I thought it'll work. Nevermind, I got it all working now. Thanks again!

with HDMI it should work. at least with PCM signal. (not all, if any, TVs have AC3/DTS decoding.) Biggest difference between HDMI 1.x and DVI is that DVI does not carry a sound. Still it's possible that your X1800GTO does not have sound capabilities of HDMI in any use. (basically it would need a some sort of sound chip in Graphics card or some sort of passthrough from sound card / sound interface.) you might want to check the installation manual of the card, how to set up sound passthrough.

EDIT: ...and London-boy, slow down bit to read the thread before replying. :) you basically repeated what I said earlier. ;)

Back