No more

PeterAce said:
I think Rev is talking about his enthusiasm level wrt 3D tech and game dev.
Yeah, there's been many times when I too have felt fed-up with the whole games/hardware spiel, particulary whenever I've stumbled by mistake into some forum infested by swarms of GPU/CPU fanb0ys. :)

PeterAce said:
I think Rev is talking about his enthusiasm level wrt 3D tech and game dev.
Good guess.

[edit] I really wonder why you guessed that... what made you think/say that ?

Rev, my question is - what has changed to reduce your enthusiasm? (you used to have it right?)
The answer to your second question is obviously a "Yes". As for the first one...

There are a few reasons. Foremost is just basically the joy of tending to my 6-year boy's growing needs. He's growing up pretty fast and he's very close to me. He asks me questions all the time and I try to spend as much time as I can with him, especially so when he starts school next year (his kindergarten time right now is still mostly time for fun, with a little learning). All of which means I have far less time for this hobby. By hobby, I actually mean 2 hobbies -- interest in 3D and involvement in Beyond3D.

The second reason is that, while I have been able to basically ignore it for a long time, the current industry is no longer what it used to be, mostly during the days of the Voodoo, Voodoo2 and the first GeForce. Too much politics, both by the industry players as well as by the majority of folks that participate in these forums.

I've got what I wanted by being involved with this site. And that's not free hardware but relationships with a number of individuals that I know will continue to correspond with me even if I decide to cut ties with a website.

Not saying I will quit B3D -- you don't quit B3D, you only get removed. Dave probably will be surprised by what I wrote above (I never discussed any of this with him). Don't worry though... I will continue to serve B3D.

Reverend said:
[edit] I really wonder why you guessed that... what made you think/say that ?

Thanks for the replay Rev.

It wasn't a guess, more an observation.

I spend several hours every day reading Beyond3D since Aug 2003, and I've allways really enjoyed your 'Rev in the pulpits' (they are good at cutting to the heart of the matter) but I noticed in the last few (and in you last review) that your enthusiasm had dropped.

So when I saw this thread I had a click-sound go off in my head ;)

Back