Nintendo DS Lite in the flesh/stripteased!

Sorry for the OT.

Quick question:

The Japanese release date for the DS lite is March 2 or it has been postponed to May?

The reason for the question is that at GA board some guys keep saying May launch all over.

I've not heard anything about a delay in the launch. I visited lik-sang earlier today and they list march 1st I believe as the day when they receive stock of DS lites. I was tempted to place an order, but since I don't want a japanese power adapter for it I guess I have to wait... Then again, I hear the GBA micro uses the exact same DC plug as the lite (and hence probably also exact same adapter) I could buy a euro micro and then use that adapter... A bit expensive solution just for being impatient tho. :p

Guden Oden said:
I've not heard anything about a delay in the launch. I visited lik-sang earlier today and they list march 1st I believe as the day when they receive stock of DS lites. I was tempted to place an order, but since I don't want a japanese power adapter for it I guess I have to wait... Then again, I hear the GBA micro uses the exact same DC plug as the lite (and hence probably also exact same adapter) I could buy a euro micro and then use that adapter... A bit expensive solution just for being impatient tho. :p

Although the DS Lite's external port appears to be identical to that of the Game Boy Micro, the manual firmly states that the DS Lite AC adaptor is only compatible with the DS Lite. Presumably, this means that the system cannot be recharged with the Micro's adaptor. The manual says there is still no multiplayer compatibility in GBA mode, which had been speculated due to the Micro-like port.

PGC

Gack:
Aawww, MEHHHHH, that kind of sucks... :( Anyway, has anyone compared voltages and output ratings and polarities etc of the ports, just in case it fits anyway?

More detailed photos of DSLite compared to DS. Some photos of PCB too.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/0216/nintendo.htm

ds15.jpg

ds09.jpg

ds13.jpg

Wow, great comparison shots! The new DS just looks secksier and secksier the more I see of it. Want one now... What's those two small square holes next to the DS cartridge slot btw?

Probably a mounting point for a wriststrap loop since that's the same area for the strap on the original DS. Anyway notice in these shots that the white shell has a sort of clear finish over it like the iPods. I like that a lot as originally I thought it would only be a matte white finish. Also notice that the DSLite's design is basically a streched SP with the shoulder buttons looking almost identical. I guess the nonprotuding shoulder buttons design idea "taken from the competition" suggestion seems even more silly now than it was before.

Guden Oden said:
I don't know if THAT many people re-buy the same device in a redesigned package. I do understand WHY Nintendo does this though, and that's because tech is constantly progressing, enabling you to make things smaller, lighter, cheaper and with longer battery life. If you redesign the internals, you might as well redesign the externals as well. Add brighter screens. Polish up the design, listen to feedback about what people did not like visually and ergonomically and fix that, thus enticing those people to pick up your goods.

It's as much a cost saving measure as it is to widen the appeal of your product, and hence the market for it.

To be quite honest from the company perspective this has nothing to do with making it smaller to save cost from consumer perspective but to milk the same antiqe hardware for more cash. Im not that into handheld and specs so i cant qoute anything so just jump on me:)

NANOTEC said:
Yep kinda like PSOne vs PSX and PSTwo vs PS2.

Thats a difference imo. If Sony had released new PS2s in the the same way Nintendo do with their GB it would have been PS2/PS2L/PS2LI/PS2LIT/PS2LITE and the PSTwo :)

overclocked said:
Thats a difference imo. If Sony had released new PS2s in the the same way Nintendo do with their GB it would have been PS2/PS2L/PS2LI/PS2LIT/PS2LITE and the PSTwo :)

Well PSTwo also plays PS1 games and PSThree will also play PS1 and PS2 games so SONY will still be milking the PS1 and PS2 when PS3 comes out.

Anyway here are two more screens. Man this thing itself looks awesome even before you factor in the other goodies coming out for it.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060215/nin24.jpg
http://www.nintendo-inside.jp/media/801/80132/060217314_2.jpg

I hope Nintendo releases this in the US soon because I'll be itching to spend my tax refund on something.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
NANOTEC said:
Well PSTwo also plays PS1 games and PSThree will also play PS1 and PS2 games so SONY will still be milking the PS1 and PS2 when PS3 comes out.

Anyway here are two more screens. Man this thing itself looks awesome even before you factor in the other goodies coming out for it.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060215/nin24.jpg
http://www.nintendo-inside.jp/media/801/80132/060217314_2.jpg

I hope Nintendo releases this in the US soon because I'll be itching to spend my tax refund on something.:D

Noonono :).. You are not getting anything new, Thats the difference!
And as i said éarlier Sony do it ONE TIME with PS2 and added a Network adapter.
Same thing with PSP, if sony would release say four or five different models of it. If they do well but they wont so i dont have too eat up my words:)

Last edited by a moderator:
overclocked said:
Noonono :).. You are not getting anything new, Thats the difference!
And as i said éarlier Sony do it ONE TIME with PS2 and added a Network adapter.
Same thing with PSP, if sony would release say four or five different models of it. If they do well but they wont so i dont have too eat up my words:)

What do you mean? Nintendo first came out with GB classic, then GBC which added color, then GBA which added more power, then added DS with more power and touch input. DSLite, GBA SP and GBmicro are the same as PSTwo and PSOne. They do add small things like better screens, smaller form factor, etc. PSSOne and PSTwo is no different and I don't see PSThree being different either. SONY may even do the same thing with PSP, but it'll be kinda difficult to make it smaller with the UMD drive and all. Yes you will have to eat up your words.:D

NANOTEC said:
What do you mean? Nintendo first came out with GB classic, then GBC which added color, then GBA which added more power, then added DS with more power and touch input. DSLite, GBA SP and GBmicro are the same as PSTwo and PSOne. They do add small things like better screens, smaller form factor, etc. PSSOne and PSTwo is no different and I don't see PSThree being different either. SONY may even do the same thing with PSP, but it'll be kinda difficult to make it smaller with the UMD drive and all. Yes you will have to eat up your words.:D

Yes and red ,green blabla, im get confused just you start talking about it!
I said earlier all handhelds-people feel free to jump on me cause i dont know shit about it!

The PSP is different cause that is more like a console in a handheld if that makes any sense!?..... :) But i still dont have read upp all the basics on PSP... Shame on me...

Engadget Interview with Fils-Aime said:
Thank you for taking a few minutes to chat with me today, I know you have a very busy schedule right now. One of the first things I wanted to ask you about is the new Nintendo DS Lite which was announced in Japan a couple of weeks ago. Is this what the DS should have been when it was first introduced back in 2004?

When the DS was first announced our focus really was on communicating to consumers and to developers the innovation that’s in that unit: two screens, a touch screen, voice activation. And we’ve certainly done that to the tune of multi-millions of units sold across the world. We really a leadership position in every market we compete in versus our competition.

In terms of the physical unit itself, from the day we first showed pictures we’ve been ongoing making tweaks and adjustments, looking to get it as beautiful and as distinctive as possible. What we showed at E3 ended up being different than what we launched with. And certainly what this iteration represents is our ongoing effort to leverage product design to make our innovations and products as attractive as possible.

We will continue to make ongoing adjustments and tweaks to our product design, always with the eye of the consumer in mind.

Does that mean we could probably expect a third iteration of the DS about 18 months from now?

I wouldn’t say that that’s an unreasonable assumption. Look at how many times we’ve improved on the Game Boy Advance in terms of the look, the feel, screen changes, and everything else. We believe that type of constant innovation is critical to driving this industry, and certainly if you look at the world wide sales of Game Boy Advance, I don’t think anyone would disagree.

Have you set a timetable for when the DS Lite will be available here in North America?

We have not announced the date and we won’t be announcing a date for the foreseeable future. We are working through our inventories and our allocations of product and frankly, we are doing everything we can just to meet current demand. Japan has already announced that they will launch in early March and they have the same challenges of meeting that very high level of demand.

We need to make sure that we have enough product in hand for us to launch effectively here in North America and as soon as we feel we are in that position we’ll announce it.

Bolded parts are obviously the interviewer's questions. :p
Interesting bits and pieces:
no NA launch date due to expected demand.
3rd iteration of DS probable

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/20/the-engadget-interview-reggie-fils-aime-executive-vice-preside/

Bumpy Bump ;-)
PGC said:
# Among the observations of the final system: The lowest brightness setting is as bright as the original DS. The brightest setting may burn your retinas. (Not really...we hope.)
# Unlike the original DS, the backlight on DS Lite cannot be turned completely off.
# The stylus is definitely longer and slightly thicker than the original DS stylus.
# The extension port is completely new, actually a bit smaller than the Game Boy Micro port, so you cannot use a GBM cable to recharge the DS Lite.
# The battery power has increased from 850 mAh to 1000 mAh, hence the longer battery life at low brightness.
# GBA cartridges do not fit flush into the system; they actually stick out, maybe 1/4 an inch. This must be why Nintendo is including a cover for the slot; you wouldn't want to leave a GBA game inserted unless you are actively playing it.
http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11148

Nice Shots, Pics
http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3808

For Guden
Lik Sang said:
Among the few discrepancies between old and new NDS variants is the change of power socket connector. You can no longer fit the electric adapter of the Nintendo DS with the Lite, and vice versa. Opposite to what was speculated on here and there, the plug is also not the same as on the Gameboy Micro. The DS Lite requires a brand new power supply adapter that you can't just replace with anything you might have lying around. The NDS Lite AC Adapter will work fine in USA, Canada and other 100V to 120V countries, but in order to recharge the Nintendo DS Lite Japanese version in Australia, Europe or other 200V to 240V countries, you will need a Stepdown Converter.

NANOTEC said:

Original Gameboy "brick."
Play it Loud series, better battery life, slightly smaller, better screen, colored exterior.
Gameboy Pocket, smaller, better battery life, better screen (I believe actual black and white instead of shades of green).
Albeit, the previous 3 came out very far apart, long enough to warrant actual hardware upgrades.
Gameboy light, Japan only, a gameboy pocket with a gameboy light, despite nintendo claiming a backlight was not needed and infeasible.
Gameboy Color came out around the same time, I thought it was well done except for the way underpowered hardware.
Gameboy Advance started got the hardware to a decent power, but had horrible ergonomics and somehow the screen was much harder to see.
Gameboy Advance SP.
Then Gameboy Micro and Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS mini. There was also a Gameboy Advance SP with a brighter backlight (or an actual backlight, the original was frontlit) but that's not such a big deal, it was advertised but nintendo has updated the screen before without mentioning it.

BTW, any other colors on the Nintendo DS Mini? I think the system looks like crap compared to the original DS, at least in white, looks too toylike.

Fox5 said:
better screen (I believe actual black and white instead of shades of green).
The screens of the earliest GBs were more yellowish than green. LCD tech was pretty crappy back then, switching time was terrible, even with plain monochrome screens there was heavy blurring. If there even were full color LCDs back when the GB was released, I can't remember. Then again, I think some games exploited that and tried to create halftones by flickering between two intensity levels...

There was also a Gameboy Advance SP with a brighter backlight
It's the SP version being sold right now I believe. The backlit SP appeared when the GBA Micro was released, or that's what I read on teh intarweb anyway, so it wasn't that long ago.

BTW, any other colors on the Nintendo DS Mini?
White, light blue, dark blue is what you get in the initial offerings. The blues should have been released...well...yesterday actually. March 11th I believe.

I think the system looks like crap compared to the original DS, at least in white, looks too toylike.
Surely you jest! The original DS's design is clumsy and amateurish compared to the Lite. The only worse design I could imagine was the original prototype look, with the fat rounded corners everywhere. This is so much slicker, and they even managed to fit a bigger stylus in the bottom as well, incredible!

Wow, this thing is sexy! Shame I still feel like I can't afford one though. Regarding Nintendough's constant hardware revisions, I think N realizes the markets are different between home console and handheld. Like a new VCR or DVD player, if Joe H0ttChixxx69 comes over and sees your revised PS2, if it doesn't have an awful lot of new features, or look super drop-dead sexy, they might think... hmmm, new PS2. Gee. But if you're on the subway listening to your IPOD SHUFFLE TM R C COPYRIGHTOMG!!1 then all the girls can look over and say, dude, that guy's either rich or stupid, and either way I can score some quick cash![/misogynist]

...or so the marketing would have you believe. Like cellphones, mp3 players and watches, handhelds are visible, and techy, yet sexy. I know plenty of fools who buy successive versions of the Motorla RAZR, and I know plenty of people who buy multiple GBA/GBA SP/what have yous. Can you blame N for cashing in on this? Hell, at least they actually give you something (slightly) new for your money. I've seen about a thousand cellphones for sale costing as much as mine did two years ago, that offer me 0 new features, less battery life, and worse reception! o_O ...but it's Shanghai, man, people switch cellphones like they switch jewelry.

Back