Nintendo DS Lite in the flesh/stripteased!

Guden Oden

Legend
Gaming/hardware blogs Joystiq and Endgadget have revealed some secksay images of Nintendo's soon-to-be-released and newly swimsuit-slimmed handheld babe.

I recommend everybody go check 'em out! The PCB is quite impressive, there's only two major ICs - the main SoC is unfortunately obscured by the DS cartridge slot which hasn't been removed in the internal shots. Isn't it amazing how miniaturization works? Two CPUs, 3D accelerator, main and video RAM all on the same chip, and it's not even very big! :) Then again, none of these things are particulary powerful, which explains a lot I suppose. It's not a 200+ million GPU monster like the Radeon X1900XTX... :devilish:

Funny thing, quickly judging from images, it seems possible the entire DS SoC chip package is about the size of the XTX silicon die. Crazy.

Anyway, these pics are really purty, well worth checking out. Also, these blogs have lots of stuff worth reading so stay a while and look them through if you like. Have fun!

Hijacking! :LOL:

New DS lite screens, new angles and new colors:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/media.cfm?action=hwscreens&id=245

new details:
http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=6767

PGC said:
# PictoChat appears to be exactly the same as in the original DS model, shooting down rumors of a new online version of the program...though such a product could still be released separately.
# The GBA cartridge slot does indeed have a removable cover to keep out dust when a GBA cartridge or DS Option Pak is not inserted. The cover can be removed with your thumb.

# The shoulder buttons do not protrude from the system casing as much as on the original DS or the GBA SP. They cannot be seen when looking directly at the front of the system.

# The new brightness levels have a significant impact on battery life. At the brightest level, the DS Lite can be played for 5-8 hours, which is slightly less than with the original DS. (This setting may be brighter than the original DS, though.) On the lowest brightness level, the DS Lite can operate for 15-19 hours. There are two additional brightness levels between these two extremes.

# The DS firmware (system menus and settings) seems to be exactly the same, except that the backlight icon can be touched multiple times to scroll through the brightness settings, whereas the light could simply be turned on and off with the original model.

# The new power button appears to be a spring-loaded slider switch, not a button as on the original DS. You push it up to turn on the system, but it returns to the bottom position when you let go. To turn off the system, you push the switch up again and hold for a few seconds. The power switch is located on the right side of the system, above the stylus.

# The DS Lite includes a new stylus with a rounded back end, which makes it fit flush with the system casing when stored. Drawings in the manual indicate that the new stylus may be thicker and longer than the original version.

# The wrist strap will now be sold separately instead of included with the system, according to the manual.

If firmware stays the same, homebrew with the PassMe2 should work again ;-)

lovely Game & Watch :)

Looking incredibely like the dual screen G&W I used to play when I was a kid.
Definetly neat...

Ingenu said:
lovely Game & Watch :)

Looking incredibely like the dual screen G&W I used to play when I was a kid.
Definetly neat...

Yea, doesn't it though? I still have my old Donkey Kong (Dual Screens).

# The shoulder buttons do not protrude from the system casing as much as on the original DS or the GBA SP. They cannot be seen when looking directly at the front of the system.

# The new brightness levels have a significant impact on battery life. At the brightest level, the DS Lite can be played for 5-8 hours, which is slightly less than with the original DS. (This setting may be brighter than the original DS, though.) On the lowest brightness level, the DS Lite can operate for 15-19 hours. There are two additional brightness levels between these two extremes.

# The new power button appears to be a spring-loaded slider switch, not a button as on the original DS. You push it up to turn on the system, but it returns to the bottom position when you let go. To turn off the system, you push the switch up again and hold for a few seconds. The power switch is located on the right side of the system, above the stylus.

# The wrist strap will now be sold separately instead of included with the system, according to the manual.

These things seemed to be taken from Nintendos Competitor..... I have to wonder if that screen can still hold a candle to PSP's though.I guess that Sony was right to include a sliding power button.Good ideas become standard quickly........ is panasonic behind the DS too?

Psychogenics said:

These things seemed to be taken from Nintendos Competitor..... I have to wonder if that screen can still hold a candle to PSP's though.I guess that Sony was right to include a sliding power button.Good ideas become standard quickly........ is panasonic behind the DS too?

:rolleyes:

Why do people feel threatened by the DS Lite because it's better than the old DS?

Brightness adjustment or constrast adustment on handhelds have existed since the GB classic and other color handhelds thereafter like GG and TE. Nonprotruding shoulder buttons have nothing to do with "taken from the competitor" nor is a sliding power switch.

NANOTEC said:
:rolleyes:

Why do people feel threatened by the DS Lite because it's better than the old DS?

Brightness adjustment or constrast adustment on handhelds have existed since the GB classic and other color handhelds thereafter like GG and TE. Nonprotruding shoulder buttons have nothing to do with "taken from the competitor" nor is a sliding power switch.

Not threatened,just pointing out that maybe Nintendo is changing in a odd way.....Nintendo would never have taken a note from Competitors so early on.This time their making all the neccessary changes to KEEP their market from going into obilvion.

Psychogenics said:
Not threatened,just pointing out that maybe Nintendo is changing in a odd way.....Nintendo would never have taken a note from Competitors so early on.This time their making all the neccessary changes to KEEP their market from going into obilvion.

that's one bloody long way to oblivion that their market has in front.. :D

It's not like the GBA where the original GBA just plain sucked and the SP was a million times better. Sure, the OG DS is a little heavy, but it's not near-unplayable like GBA was. Also, how did Nintendo "steal" the wrist strap from Sony? Not only does my old handheld transistor radio from like 1982 have one, but the whole point of DS's is the thumb shoe, which PSP definitely doesn't have.

Psychogenics said:
This time their making all the neccessary changes to KEEP their market from going into obilvion.
I'd be extremely hard-pressed to say that without a sliding power switch, DS would slide into oblivion... This is especially nonsensical considering the device sold so briskly around december it actually went completely out of stock in japan, and perhaps also elsewhere!

The lite is a nice polish of an already very successful product. I really doubt Nintendo NEEDED to change anything - because people are buying them left right and center anyway - but I personally am glad they did as it makes the DS even more attractive. I didn't like the original DS enough to buy it, but now I'll get one ASAP.

I never get why people buy the same hardware just because of slight changes, as been Nintendos way of doing things.
Its like throwing them in the water..

overclocked said:
I never get why people buy the same hardware just because of slight changes, as been Nintendos way of doing things.
Its like throwing them in the water..

Well you don't have to throw the old ones away. You can give them to others, or sell them, or trade them in. At least that's what I would do. As the saying goes, "One man's trash is another man's treasure.". The best proof of this is eBay. In fact I've spent around $1000 on eBay in the last 2 months alone buying used computer equipment. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
overclocked said:
I never get why people buy the same hardware just because of slight changes
I don't know if THAT many people re-buy the same device in a redesigned package. I do understand WHY Nintendo does this though, and that's because tech is constantly progressing, enabling you to make things smaller, lighter, cheaper and with longer battery life. If you redesign the internals, you might as well redesign the externals as well. Add brighter screens. Polish up the design, listen to feedback about what people did not like visually and ergonomically and fix that, thus enticing those people to pick up your goods.

It's as much a cost saving measure as it is to widen the appeal of your product, and hence the market for it.

Off Topic:
NANOTEC said:
Yep kinda like PSOne vs PSX and PSTwo vs PS2.
That would be PSone vs PS1 and PSTwo vs PS2 vs PSX.
PSX being SONY's failed attempt at a more multimedia system based on the PS2.

Ingenu said:
Off Topic:

That would be PSone vs PS1 and PSTwo vs PS2 vs PSX.
PSX being SONY's failed attempt at a more multimedia system based on the PS2.

Everyone knows that PSX is the name for the first Playstation. Even the BIOS refers to it as PSX, and tries to load PSX.exe if it can't find a normal boot program.

Well, as I recall, PSX (Playstation X) was the development codename for the device. That it lives on in the form of internal filenames etc isn't surprising. PSX was never an actual product name for the first-gen playstation though.

Back