NHL 07 Gameplay (sweet)

I'm not much into hockey games, but im interested in the new hockey stick controls I heard about in the IGN interview. The right analog stick is supposed to control the hockey stick all by itself. I'd like to see how that works out, sounds very intuitive.

Graphics dont look half bad either.

scooby_dooby said:
The boys at EA Canada have outdone themselves, you can tell alot of love went into this game.

And rightfully so! It does look pretty good. Apart from the skin, it seems very life-like to me.

If they can do a little better on the transition animations this game would a very solid next gen debut. EA seems to be stepping up somewhat, finally.

expletive said:
If they can do a little better on the transition animations this game would a very solid next gen debut. EA seems to be stepping up somewhat, finally.

Yeah, I hope they do. They've done it with NBA, and it seems like they've got it working in Madden. It's something that I'm looking out for now since EA have shown the ability to do that.

Bad_Boy said:
I'm not much into hockey games, but im interested in the new hockey stick controls I heard about in the IGN interview. The right analog stick is supposed to control the hockey stick all by itself. I'd like to see how that works out, sounds very intuitive.

Graphics dont look half bad either.

NHL 2K6 did that already. EA is still playing catch up when it comes to gameplay.

Asher said:
NHL 2K6 did that already. EA is still playing catch up when it comes to gameplay.

Not like this they didn't. The new controls are fight-night like, the right stick controls the entire upper body, it sounds pretty damn cool. You don't use face buttons at all anymore.

scooby_dooby said:
Not like this they didn't. The new controls are fight-night like, the right stick controls the entire upper body, it sounds pretty damn cool. You don't use face buttons at all anymore.
Thanks for clearing that up scooby, I guess my first post still stands then lol. Maybe I should try some other hockey games out to see what I'm missing.

Kinda OT, scooby_dooby, sounds like you keep up with hockey. How do you feel about the Carolina Hurricanes? :)

Alstrong said:
I think we all feel *somewhat* bitter, but that was a long while ago. ;)
hehe didnt want to spark any bad memories, but living in nc does has its perks. ;)

but yeah, its ot. ill shut up now.

Bad_Boy said:
hehe didnt want to spark any bad memories, but living in nc does has its perks. ;)

but yeah, its ot. ill shut up now.

Really, from 8th p[ace at the start all the way to the finals, that was pretty awesome. Getting together and hanging out with friends were really the best parts. :)

besides, winning would have meant the city spending a ton of money repairing Whyte Avenue from riots... not that they already haven't in some parts. :LOL:

I don't keep up with the hockey video games: Does "2007" mean that they use stats from the prior hockey season (the one that just ended) or stats for the upcoming season?

Alstrong said:
I don't keep up with the hockey video games: Does "2007" mean that they use stats from the prior hockey season (the one that just ended) or stats for the upcoming season?

Historically, EA has used player stats from the previous season for the upcoming season's games.

If there's high profile rookies coming into the league they usually just take a stab at those, erring on the side of "good'. I dont know if they still do this but i know in the 90's they would enlist the help of NHL personnel to help put these stats in place.

Hmph, to me that looks little more than a high resolution current gen (or is it last gen now?) EA NHL game, or a PC version of one.
The graphics have that two dimensional, cardboard cut high resolution look to them, similar to the Tiger Woods screens that were in that another thread, only a bit better.
Again the flat lighting makes it look, well, flat and two dimensional.

It's as if EA only focuses on the character faces to make an impression, and fails even there, yet forgetting there's more to good graphics than high resolution (face) models.

Not impressed at all.

Bad_Boy said:
Kinda OT, scooby_dooby, sounds like you keep up with hockey. How do you feel about the Carolina Hurricanes? :)

I feel like Habs should've knocked them out round 1, they have horseshoes up their ass!! If it wasn't for the highstick on Koivu that ended his playoffs, canes don't make it out of round 1.

rabidrabbit said:
Hmph, to me that looks little more than a high resolution current gen (or is it last gen now?) EA NHL game, or a PC version of one.
The graphics have that two dimensional, cardboard cut high resolution look to them, similar to the Tiger Woods screens that were in that another thread, only a bit better.
Again the flat lighting makes it look, well, flat and two dimensional.

It's as if EA only focuses on the character faces to make an impression, and fails even there, yet forgetting there's more to good graphics than high resolution (face) models.

Not impressed at all.

Not sure what current gen hockey you're playing, but everything about this is different, totally different animations, character models, backgrounds, physics...maybe look a little closer.

scooby_dooby said:
I feel like Habs should've knocked them out round 1, they have horseshoes up their ass!! If it wasn't for the highstick on Koivu that ended his playoffs, canes don't make it out of round 1.
Heh I had to ask. :LOL: Even though I couldnt tell you 10 different hockey teams off the top of my head, I suppose I can kinda understand your feelings, I'm a Lakers fan after all. But anyways, this this game is definately looking up.

great graphics, but the gameplay has always been the problem with EA and I don't see them improving the AI to the point where it is with the 2k series.

scooby_dooby said:
Then I guess I need more detail.

In 2K6 you controlled the hockey stick all by itself with the right thumbstick -- deke with it, play defensively with it, etc.

This goes a step farther in that if you press in the stick in your defensive zone, you can control the goalie -- the right thumbstick controls the goalie's glove.

I'm also wondering if NHL 07 has a decent board-pin system, on-the-fly coaching system (tell the AI teammates to crash the net instantly, etc), and a capable enforcer/intimidation system.

Back