Next-Generation NVMe SSD and I/O Technology [PC, PS5, XBSX|S]

What are the streaming features of Returnal that require fast IO? I don't recall it being called out for doing anything special, in contrast to, say, R&C.
They talked about this actually. They use PS5 I/O to stream a lot of assets in.

We have of course the SSD. The fast loading, in a game that's all about dying and respawning, and streaming a lot of highly varied content, it's proven invaluable in improving the overall quality of the experience. It minimises downtime and ensures players spend as much time as possible engaged in the action.

Whilst I am one of the 15% with 32Gb RAM or more, fuck the other 85% of PC peasants.

I suspect this is simply a case of "if it's there, we'll use it to improve the experience" which is always a great thing for PC gaming, particularly if you've spent the money for a high end PC which is what most of those 15% (which is likely similar to the entire PS5 install base) likely represent.

If you don't have the RAM, but do have an NVMe then you'll very likely be completely fine too, and if you have neither then you'll have to accept a compromised experience compared to the PS5.

PS5 secret sauce son. You need extra RAM on PC to be able to run this PS5 game :yep2:

You could argue that what this means is you don't need a PCIe4 NVME SSD to match (or exceed) the PS5 experience in games that make good use of the PS5's IO.

As mentioned above, I expect with an IO system similar to or faster than the PS5 you won't need that much RAM for an equivalent or better experience.

I suspect this is simply a case of "if it's there, we'll use it to improve the experience" which is always a great thing for PC gaming, particularly if you've spent the money for a high end PC which is what most of those 15% (which is likely similar to the entire PS5 install base) likely represent.
And it's kind of irritating that more PC games make so poor use of surplus RAM, yet load quite a lot.

You could argue that what this means is you don't need a PCIe4 NVME SSD to match (or exceed) the PS5 experience in games that make good use of the PS5's IO.

As mentioned above, I expect with an IO system similar to or faster than the PS5 you won't need that much RAM for an equivalent or better experience.
I just love it that you gave me a serious response.

I give a prediction it will change nothing on streaming side. It will just load slower with a HDD or a SATA SSD.

Initial loading will obviously be slower as a bigger RAM pool can't help there.

But outside of that I would assume the larger RAM pool will just preload whatever the PS5 streams in from the SSD on demand which would hopefully make re-loads much faste, and potentially graphical elements that simply wouldn't be possible with an HDD because of the high streaming requirements.

I just love it that you gave me a serious response.

Obviously I know your response was tongue in cheek, but I've no doubt the net will be aflood with people who are seriously coming to that conclusion. From a PC perspective though I absolutely see this as a positive rather than a negative. I've no doubt if you have a fast PCIe 4 NVMe you will be fine without 32GB but its great that the RAM option is there for those that don't, and hopefully it will further improve the experience even for those that do.

PC gamers building their systems for gaming (or aquiring pre-builds) arent outfitten them with anything less than a nvme drive with atleast 16GB ram. Theres not much to it to not go with 32 these days.

I wonder if it will have user adjustable streaming cache size or it will all be automatic.

IME with some games (uh... Cyberpunk2077). Automatic steaming cache size is problematic. Albeit it's issue is for streaming to vram not system ram.

Initial loading will obviously be slower as a bigger RAM pool can't help there.

Yeah if on hdd. If paired with fast ssd, the initial loading could still be very fast, then they will "buffer" stuff into the ram in gameplay

What are the streaming features of Returnal that require fast IO? I don't recall it being called out for doing anything special, in contrast to, say, R&C.
Probably instant level load upon death.
Inefficient but effective way to use 16GB of memory. Just store the 16GB of all resources at the checkpoint. Use the remaining 16GB as the game. You die: point to the start and go again

Not all of that 85% is less than 32Gb RAM, you unwashed plebe.

/Evil Cackles in 64Gb CAS14 3800MHz 1:1 FCLK

Poke poke poke.

Whilst I am one of the 15% with 32Gb RAM or more, fuck the other 85% of PC peasants.

You're in that 15% with 32 GB RAM or more. ;) Not in the 85% that actually is all less than 32 GB RAM. :D

Although you are also potentially correct that there might be more than 85% with less than 32 GB RAM.
  • 14.8% - 32 GB, 64 GB, more than 64 GB.
  • 84.49% - less than 4 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, 16, GB, 24, GB, 32 GB
  • 0.71% - other
    • So my old memory count of 48 GB would fit in here.
    • So would someone with 10 GB.
    • Basically anything other than what's in the other 2 groups.
    • Chances are at least 0.2% (28.2% of 0.71%) have more than 32 GB that don't fit into those nice categories. ;)
I only made this totally pointless post because I'm drinking my coffee before doing any real work. :p

Regards,
SB

Back