New The Darkness screens

Titanio

Legend
At this link:

http://www.tothegame.com/screenshot.asp?id=4277

Some are old, from the various magazine coverages, but some are new, to me at least. The resolution is a bit funky (1280x768), but heh..

It's actually looking really nice, lovely texturing. Better than I might have expected after seeing shots from the mags..they somehow look better in direct feed, which often isn't the case!

very...clay looking. Looks very solid. *shrug* I suppose it does look like the same style of CoR:EfBB in terms of materials. You know.. it also kind of reminds me of super high res DE:IW in terms of the characters.

Either way, I like it. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad that Starbreeze decided to keep their CoR engine as the base for this new engine.

Not that it dosn't look good, since it's more or less on par with the Monolith's FEAR engine, but seeing how impressive the Enclave and CoR engines were on Xbox, I kind of expected something as impressive for their next-gen engine.

Then again this new game was started just after the end of the CoR project, so it's still a "cross generations" project, if you will. I'm sure that their next engine will drop the hard edge volumetric shadows for all of its shadowing needs, and go implement complex Shadow Maps support into it.

Anyway, all in all, if Starbreeze keep on their good track record, the game will run in 60 FPS. Which is always something good enough to mention, especially these days.

I don't care what tech they're using, it looks great. Starbreeze is a true master of texturing. They seem to get so much out of textures.

Looks nicer than most ingame screens of fps shooters coming out for nextgen systems. Is this a ps3 exclusive?

Vysez said:
Sad that Starbreeze decided to keep their CoR engine as the base for this new engine.

Not that it dosn't look good, since it's more or less on par with the Monolith's FEAR engine, but seeing how impressive the Enclave and CoR engines were on Xbox, I kind of expected something as impressive for their next-gen engine.

Then again this new game was started just after the end of the CoR project, so it's still a "cross generations" project, if you will. I'm sure that their next engine will drop the hard edge volumetric shadows for all of its shadowing needs, and go implement complex Shadow Maps support into it.

Anyway, all in all, if Starbreeze keep on their good track record, the game will run in 60 FPS. Which is always something good enough to mention, especially these days.
On the cover of the official playsation magazine a couple months ago, they had The Darkness on the cover and in the article Starbreeze says that the Riddick engine was originally a next-gen engine but that they actually toned it down for Riddick. The PC version of Riddick supported DX9 and it looked very very good. The game looks incredible anyways.

Where are the soft shadows that were toggable for CoR PC? :p

AFAIK, they are publishing it on "next generation consoles".

Edit: actually, their website only lists Xbox 360 at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back