New Steam survey results

February's Result:

(cliff notes: 4800 sold slight more in Feb than Jan, 260 stayed the same, 280 almost double its sales, XP lost slightly more market share than it did in Jan, Vista x86 gained slight more than usual, Vista x64 gained slightly less than usual, DX 10 gained slightly less than last month)

Thanks! It's interesting that the rate of migrations away from XP is still accelerating. I'm curious how this rate will change once SP2 for Vista is released and finally when W7 hits the streets. It was disappointing to see Vista 64 not making more progress though.

Thanks! It's interesting that the rate of migrations away from XP is still accelerating. I'm curious how this rate will change once SP2 for Vista is released and finally when W7 hits the streets. It was disappointing to see Vista 64 not making more progress though.

I'm giving SP2 a try on a HP DC7900 right now and While I'm typing the upgrade process for vista x86 is running on my laptop. Gonna install x64 tonight at home. What made me do this? The very very very pleasant time I'm having with Win7 so far.

The bulk of the masses like to hop (despite vista coming out 6 or so years after XP). IE: Windows 95---windows 98 (leaving 97 in the dust), then from 98 to XP leaving 2000 cold. Looks like the same thing is happening with vista. Though I believe vista in a larger sense is doing better than 97 and 2000.

The bulk of the masses like to hop (despite vista coming out 6 or so years after XP). IE: Windows 95---windows 98 (leaving 97 in the dust), then from 98 to XP leaving 2000 cold. Looks like the same thing is happening with vista. Though I believe vista in a larger sense is doing better than 97 and 2000.

There was a Windows 97 ?? :???:

There was a Windows 97 ?? :???:

Nope, there was however a Word 97. :D

Win 95, 98, 98se, 98me, XP, Vista for consumer. Windows 2k was for business use and never marketed to the consumer.

Of course you could also go back to various releases of Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and their updates (Windows 3.11 for example).

Regards,
SB

eh I mean Windows ME (mistake edition). Did indeed think of word97 for some odd reason. And for some reason I thought their was an OS in between 98 and 95. ahem... carry on.

eh I mean Windows ME (mistake edition). Did indeed think of word97 for some odd reason. And for some reason I thought their was an OS in between 98 and 95. ahem... carry on.

There was (win 95 OSR that came with IE 4.0, etc.) but it was mostly for OEMs. Was that what you were thinking of?

I had that, win 95 osr2 and of course it didnt work with a k6-2
untill you downloaded a patch whih wasnt easy with no internet

There was a windows 95 included for OEMS I think that implemented USB support?

Aye, Win95 OSR2 was more similar to what we now consider a Service Pack. You could download and slipstream OSR2 into the Win95 install files much like you can with SPs.

It included bug fixes as well as adding support for various new hardware. I believe it also introduced a new TCP/IP stack or something along those lines. I'm a little fuzzy on all the details after all this time.

Regards,
SB

Not really sure how to interpret percentage increases for EOL GPU's. Or is that simply a reflection of the type of folks who participated in the most recent survey?

Good to see the 46xx line broken out. Too bad the 4800's are all lumped together. The GTX295 isn't doing nearly as badly as Charlie would have us believe either.

Not really sure how to interpret percentage increases for EOL GPU's. Or is that simply a reflection of the type of folks who participated in the most recent survey?

things like FX5200's are still being sold today though.

Cliff's notes: XP32 still down but downward spiral is slowing down. Vista also still increasing but slower than last month. Tellingly, Windows 7 increased around half a percentage point with the 64-bit version slightly ahead.

Just so we can keep a coherent historial:

4800 series:
+0.53% in February
5.36% total market share

GT200:
+.29% in February (GTX 260: +0.19% // GTX 280: +0.10%)
2.54% total market share (GTX 260: 1.56% // GTX 280: 0.98%)

Windows:

XP x86:
-2.76%
60.68% total market share

Vista:
+2.22% (x86: +1.44% // x64: +0.78%)
36.36% total market share (x86: 26.40% // x64: 9.96%)

DirectX 10 systems (Vista and DX10 GPU):
~+0%
24.75% total market share

Good to see the 46xx line broken out. Too bad the 4800's are all lumped together. The GTX295 isn't doing nearly as badly as Charlie would have us believe either.

Yeah wish the 48xx line was broken down, sigh...

And GTX 295 is doing pretty badly by those charts. It doesn't show on either the DX9 video card or DX10 video card charts. You have to hunt it down in the DX10 video cards on Vista computers chart to find it. Heh, and when I got there, I'm amazed to see that the HD 2900 XT managed to increase it's numbers.

That said, I wonder how long it will take for Nvidia to finally start running low on 9xxx and 8xxx series cards. They must have a HUGE stockpile.

Regards,
SB

Thanks Richard! William was feeling a little lazy today. Although I don't think they update their DX10 numbers on the front page, you might have to manually add up everything.

Back