New Steam survey results

Hmm I went to Help -> System Information and it spent a few seconds detecting my hardware. Dunno if it reported to Steam though.

And it detected my OS install date as Dec 31 1969.

As an example I've been logging in to my personal account a number of times at work for testing, and then of course used it at home too, which are machines with different hardware, or using the dev account on the test machine and my main box too. I'd say I've seen the steam survey pop up probably every month during the time spent I spent working on Steam integration. Could also have something to do with random sampling and me logging in a hundred times a day too.

Ahh, interesting stuff. So it may have something to do with logging in?

Its too bad we don't have a Valve member here. It'd clear up so much confusion over quite a few little things in relation to this survey.

Ahh, interesting stuff. So it may have something to do with logging in?

Its too bad we don't have a Valve member here. It'd clear up so much confusion over quite a few little things in relation to this survey.

Yeah, it would be nice if Valve provided more info about Steam (for example I would love to see detailed sales/revenue data).

April survay is up!
NV's GTX470 makes a debut with a good 0.35% share in DX11 market. Still no sign from GTX480.

The numbers have changed since this post. The DX11 market share is now:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 0.65%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 0.44%

1.09% in total.

Hmmm? Looks like a total of 44.99, or 0.37% growth. The slowest grower in the list?
The DX11 only GPU pie is growing, due to the addition of many more products, so the share of that pie for 5700/5800 is generally going to trend downwards, as they previously had 100% of the pie between them. The overall GPU numbers will show "growth" of an individual product and 5700 is the highest:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/?sort=chg

Im not denying that its currently the best selling card, but the increase for the 5700 series was 0.44%, while for the 5800 series was 0.37%. The selling price for the 5700 series is 120-170 USD while for the 5800 series is 250-400 USD. Surely you expected proportinately more sales given the difference in price?
I think there is some latency in the sampling factored into that and additionally you have to factor in that the accuracy of the sampling is going to be less representative the further down you go.

The DX11 only GPU pie is growing, due to the addition of many more products, so the share of that pie for 5700/5800 is generally going to trend downwards, as they previously had 100% of the pie between them. The overall GPU numbers will show "growth" of an individual product and 5700 is the highest:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/?sort=chg

Well obviously, but then what does that have to do with my post or the one I was responding to?

Heh, I guess there's no complaint that I included Broadway in the Juniper count though.

Hmmm? Looks like a total of 44.99, or 0.37% growth. The slowest grower in the list?

Ooops, miscounted. :D But Dave said it best so I need not respond. In any case its got a lions share of the desktop DX market and a significantly growing proportion of the laptop market between it and the Redwood/other one {I forgot the name oh gawd why can't they use code numbers again!!)

@Dave:

Can you please reveal to us the ATI cake function? I.E. Is it one cake per 2M sold like 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc or is it exponential like 2, 4, 8, 16 or is it based on significant milestones like 2, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc?

Btw could you tell the boys in AMD their Black Edition Phenom IIs rock? I got 415Mhz clock bump without changing voltage settings at the touch of a button with the Asus tool and I'll probably get a lot more if I did it manually. Fantastic overclock potential :D

The last survey is quite interesting with the Mac onboard now. It already has 8.46% of the Steam users. That's far higher than I would have expected after this short time.

The last survey is quite interesting with the Mac onboard now. It already has 8.46% of the Steam users. That's far higher than I would have expected after this short time.

Yeah but ~half of them have a 9400m or intel igp; borderline worthless for [non-casual] gaming.

I wonder how many are there just for the novelty/casualness and how many for the more "hardcore" games?

Either way that's a large chunk of potential customers. And Steam might just be able to do what noone else has ever been able to do. Turn the Mac into a viable gaming platform. Assuming Apple cooperates. :p

I wouldn't put it past Jobs to let Steam gain some ground and then supplant it with their own game store and then ban Steam. Yes, I'm growing cynical in my old age.

Regards,
SB

Its a huge percentage, double what I thought they would have. Its a similar number to the general percentage of mac users, whom are on average less of gamers than the average PC user. Perhaps the high percentage is just cause its new, thus been getting press where ppl say I might have a look at that.
Itll be interesting what the numbers are in 6 months when the initial buzz has worn off.

We'll just have to watch and see where this goes. Are lots of Mac users gamers? Historically, that's a negative.

True, but isn't that a case of cause and effect? I mean, seriously - are there a lot of compelling games on the Mac for all the different tastes like in the PC space?

Back