New GOW shots, textures seem to be lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliffy B already said (On aGAF post) that GOW would be using AF.

oh and for those of you that I have on ignore, these are real time

doom3 had correct unified lighting + shadowing (hardedges though due to the stencil shadows but netherless correct)
scobby video link's shadowing is a generation lower,
there is no correct shadowing (like doom3) in the video i state my reputation on it.
if u want evidence screenshot wise i will supply easily.
fact - the detail in that video + others is nowhere near as close to the detail from the screenshots, im only to happy to post screenshot comparisons of why not.
graphically it looks good (from artistic not techinical point), technically certainly nowhere near the level of the naughty dog game ( i have my doubts about this game also though, it looks to good for a first generation ps3 game )
in saying that i still think GOW looks like a fun game to play (the bullshit screenshots from epic though is another story)

I don't think the IGN pics of GOW should be acceptable. First they are from cut scenes and obviously touched up. From all those pics in the gallery I see only one representing realistic gameplay.

Epic and Bullshot in the same sentence? What?

These are realtime folks. The only difference between those shots and gameplay is aliasing.

There's a person just like zed on the gaming age forums in the same thread, doing the same thing. It's one thing to say you like or dislike something, but it's totally another to say Doom3 looks better. That's not only stretching it but I think you need glasses ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is Digi's popcorn? Anyhow, threads like this are interesting because you see people's true colors and learn that certain posters you can put on your ignore list :LOL: Every big game (MGS4, Halo 3, Lair, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, PGR3, etc) undergos this similar treatment.

Personally I think the backgrounds in those shots look far to flat and ugly. One of the nice things about UE3 has been the lighting/shadowing. I am hoping Gears of War keeps the crazy shadowing (e.g. when the hand crab thing crawls out of the ground and it casts perfect shadows on the grunts) and is not afflicted with the low resolution shadow maps that BiA3 and Mass Effect have shown at times. Dynamic objects with self shadowing and soft shadowing are things that are setting next gen apart for me and I am hoping as engines progress we see more of such and they become standard.

Deepblue said:
Epic and Bullshot in the same sentence? What?

These are realtime folks. The only difference between those shots and gameplay is aliasing.

The definition of a bullshot for some would include shots like these, rendered out at 15x the resolution you'll actually get in-game. Epic isn't the worst offender though, they at least also release "normal" screenshots. Ubi-soft is one of the worst offenders with regard to bullshotting from what I've seen - asides from the ultra-high-resolution screen dumps (and the benefit that implies for the resized pics, not just in terms of AA), they also seem to take photoshop to them in some cases. And they do it nearly universally now with their next-gen titles, it's quite shameless.

zed said:
doom3 had correct unified lighting + shadowing (hardedges though due to the stencil shadows but netherless correct)
scobby video link's shadowing is a generation lower
Shadowmaps are just as correct as stencils, and stencils are just as fake as shadow maps, they both have their pros and cons, and both have their issues as well. In fact, certain lights in Doom3 use pre-rendered shadow maps that are projected onto world geometry.

there is no correct shadowing (like doom3) in the video i state my reputation on it.
WHAT reputation? You're half a step from slipping back into red dot territory! ;) :LOL:

fact - the detail in that video + others is nowhere near as close to the detail from the screenshots
Dude, you do understand that internet videos are captured at low res and heavily compressed, right? They're not full frame lossless movies. They WILL look less detailed than still shots, yet the game looks just like any screenshot you have ever seen. Except in motion. So take off that silly tinhat alright? Nobody has the time or the patience for any more of your silly antics.

(the bullshit screenshots from epic though is another story)
I promise we'll all point and laugh at you once the game is released and we find out it looks just like the screenies have shown for months and months. ;)

No debating actually going on in this thread. Zed - I suggest that you learn to use a less abrasive means of discussing your point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back