New G-Sync HDR -module is Altera Arria GX 480

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Kaotik, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...z-G-SYNC-Monitor-True-HDR-Arrives-Desktop/Tea

PC Perspective opened up their new Asus 4K 144 Hz HDR G-Sync display and did a little digging. The new G-Sync module is midrange from the Arria-family and it's paired with 3 GB of DDR4.
    No-one but Intel and NVIDIA knows how much each G-Sync module costs, but in "retail" if you buy 3 x Arria GX 480's it costs around 2100 euros (Mouser) or 2600 USD (Digikey) per FPGA.

pharma, Lightman and Bludd like this.
  2. Davros

Legend

Do freesync monitors also require an expensive module ?

3. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

No, most (or at least many, don't really know how big portion of currently used scalers it is) modern scaler ASICs support Adaptive-sync. That's what makes (most of )the price difference between FreeSync and G-Sync monitors

Lightman, Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yeah, once 120 Hz 4k HDR TV's become more common, I'm likely going to jump to one with Adaptive Sync. Once that happens, if NVidia doesn't support Adaptive Sync I'll be sticking with AMD GPUs even if they are noticeably slower.

While I can't stand the input-feedback variable latency that comes with VRR at less than 60 Hz, it might not be as noticeable if the variability is in the 100-120 Hz range.

Regards,
    SB

Lightman likes this.