New FX Extremetech Review

Works fine here...

Some key notes:

Fan was measured at 58db at full load...
Wins most fill rate tests (we knew that would happen)

I don't know what's up but I keep getting this:
File not found

You have requested an ExtremeTech page that does not exist.

If you typed the URL, check to see that you entered it correctly. Or click here and go to the Extremetech homepage.

Too much load me thinks.

Click the individual links, that works. Many images are broken though, specifically those showing performance graphs it seems...

Not sure if it's intentional or not, as a pic of the monster cooler in action is also broken... I haven't actually checked all pages yet so maybe some graphs do work.

*G*

GeforceFX Benchmarks

What will happen when you have 1600x1200 AA AF with 128-bit color vs 32-bit color? Makes me wonder?

The ExtremeTech home page currently says "Flash: First nVidia GeForceFX Test Results will be posted at midnight pacific time! "

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Was this a non-Ultra GFFX?? (Link is down for me...)

I mean, yes, Extremetech benches some pretty CPU-limited games, but you would think at least the 16x12 no AA/AF ones...

WOW.

Not what I expected

After seeing the benchmarks, I can see why nvidia was waited so long before allowing reviews. Their drivers are still pretty raw. Usually they are the technology leaders so people don't notice how raw the drivers are, but this time around they are certainly behind the times. Reminds me of the 8500 launch.

Well, I have been able to get all the pages to work now. If these numbers hold true the GFFX is DOA for any sane thinking person imo.

On average it gets beatten in every game tested with 4x FSAA and 8x AF by 30%. The coupple exeption games SS:SE and JK2 have always (imo) offerd really bizzare results favoring Nvidia, so thats nothing new.

I am now eagerly awaiting the rest of the reviews.

Some of the synthetic tests confirms the theories some have had (the excellent performance in the 8-light geometry test for example and the low performance in the single texturing fillrate test also), however the gaming benches looks decidedly BAD for Nvidia at this point (especially at high res/AA+AF settings), however I don't know how conclusive these numbers really are. We need more tests from more sources.

I'm not going to declare the GFFX a lame duck on basis of one short (p)review...though I'm tempted to at this stage, lol. :)

*G*

You can now pretty much say that the FX is, perhaps, the biggest 3D flop since the Glaze3D hype from a few years ago.

We've heard such things as "most important contribution in 3D since the founding of the company" and other marketing related crap from the past several months.

When you look @ the numbers from ExtremeTech's review, they look downright pathetic! I mean, how on earth can a part that comes 6 months post R300, with a 200 MHz. core clock advantage, get creamed so badly in some of the tests? Epseically when it comes to shaders!

In the Advanced Pixel Shader test, the FX gets totally slaughtered...

In the Vertex Shader test, the R300 kills the FX...

So, the one thing that seemed...if nothing else...the one "clear" advantage nVidia would have over the R300...doesn't seem to be an advantage at all.

But the bottom line is what has become very apparant thus far...Sheer Bandwidth still makes a difference, and the FX part is simply too deficient in this department. They need to get much more bandwidth out of their architecture than is presently available. The article seems to hint that a 256-bit version is in the pipeline, but I'm not sure if it was just supposition or not.

Anyhow, I strongly suspect that nVidia is going to end up losing a heck of a lot of credibility with this product, and it's only going to get worse once ATI nails em' with the knockout punch...R350.

About the only thing you can really say, at this point, is that the marketing team @ nVidia is going to end up earning their paychecks for the next couple of months...They're going to have to _really_ spin some serious wool to make this situation turn out in their favor.

This is a major disappointment. Even with half-done drivers I can't think of a way to spin this in the favor of the GeForce FX.

I really thought that nVidia had something up their sleves to support the massive fillrate and thus shader ops power. They are gonna take some serious heat for lacking in memory bandwidth tricks (although the card in itself is very good).

Well, one thing to note is that those UT2k3 benches were in botmatch mode, and are therefore both CPU-limited and unreliable.

Typedef Enum said:
You can now pretty much say that the FX is, perhaps, the biggest 3D flop since the Glaze3D hype from a few years ago.

We've heard such things as "most important contribution in 3D since the founding of the company" and other marketing related crap from the past several months.

When you look @ the numbers from ExtremeTech's review, they look downright pathetic! I mean, how on earth can a part that comes 6 months post R300, with a 200 MHz. core clock advantage, get creamed so badly in some of the tests? Epseically when it comes to shaders!

In the Advanced Pixel Shader test, the FX gets totally slaughtered...

In the Vertex Shader test, the R300 kills the FX...

So, the one thing that seemed...if nothing else...the one "clear" advantage nVidia would have over the R300...doesn't seem to be an advantage at all.

But the bottom line is what has become very apparant thus far...Sheer Bandwidth still makes a difference, and the FX part is simply too deficient in this department. They need to get much more bandwidth out of their architecture than is presently available. The article seems to hint that a 256-bit version is in the pipeline, but I'm not sure if it was just supposition or not.

Anyhow, I strongly suspect that nVidia is going to end up losing a heck of a lot of credibility with this product, and it's only going to get worse once ATI nails em' with the knockout punch...R350.

About the only thing you can really say, at this point, is that the marketing team @ nVidia is going to end up earning their paychecks for the next couple of months...They're going to have to _really_ spin some serious wool to make this situation turn out in their favor.
Yes you are right, that's pretty horrible :devilish: .

Hope for them that newt gen will have some big boost.... :?

Interesting tidbits from ET's review:

the first PCI slot next to the AGP slot in our test system gets eaten, and the GeForceFX card was right on top of the 3Com NIC in the second PCI slot
So you *can* put something in the 2nd PCI slot, although e.g. a PCI video card with DRAM on the back probably won't fit.
When you fire up any 3D app that pings either Direct3D or OpenGL, the Flow FX fan guns its motor up to full speed
So under the current drivers, apparently running OS X 10.2 or Longhorn *would* trigger the loud fan.
Radeon 9700 Pro's baseline sound level was about 54dB SPL...The GeForceFX is a different story, however. Its baseline sound level was also around 54dB SPL, but upon starting up a 3D app, the Flow FX fan kicked into high gear, and the sound level rose to around 58dB SPL
GeForceFX's shipping about one month from now
Mentioned several times. Extremetech thinks there's still room for improvement in the drivers, although whether they made this up themselves or whether Nvidia indicated this was the case, who knows.

Re: anisotropic filering--
It is interesting to note that nVidia's algorithmic approach has not changed in the GeForceFX,
What about the new "adaptive" aniso algorithm? Did Extremetech get this wrong?? Of course, it would help explain the nasty AA/AF scores (although so would the AA bandwidth hit).

3dMark theoretical subtests:

Code:
     3dMark Fillrate tests-

single-texture                multitexture

GFFX 5800 U                1587.5                          3557.8
16x12

9700 Pro                   1819.6                          2564.1
16x12

GFFX 5800 U                 879.2                           3055.1
16x12 4xAA 8xAF

9700 Pro                  1168.8                           2523.5
16x12 4xAA 8xAF

3dMark Triangle rate tests-

1 light               8 lights

GFFX 5800 U                 83.8                 28.9
16x12

9700 Pro                    65.0                 14.7
16x12

GFFX 5800 U                  50.1                 23.1
16x12 4xAA 8xAF

9700 Pro                     44.1                 13.5 
16x12 4xAA 8xAF

3dMark Shader Tests-

Pixel Shader              Vertex Shader

GFFX 5800 U                  141.0                      120.5
16x12

9700 Pro                     101.7                     150.0
16x12

GFFX 5800 U                    36.0                       45.6
16x12 4xAA 8xAF

9700 Pro                       84.4                       57.6
16x12 4xAA 8xAF

3dMark Shader Game Tests-

Advanced Pixel Shader                Nature

GFFX 5800 U                       67.9                       54.6
16x12

9700 Pro                          99.2                       50.5
16x12

GFFX 5800 U                        32.5                       21.3
16x12 4xAA 8xAF

9700 Pro                           60.9                       27.2
16x12 4xAA 8xAF

Guessing ATI fans won't be complaining as much about APS anymore... In any case, the geometry and pixel shading tests at least are victories for GFFX. But the fillrate test tells the story, IMO. Only in the multitexturing test (which is very unlike real multitexturing situations) does GFFX get even close to its theoretical fillrate. Perhaps the only realistic game situation it might get close is when doing the z-pass in the Doom 3 engine (no textures -> low bandwidth requirements).

And just to be fair, a couple tests where GFFX wins some:

Code:
     Jedi Knight II and Serious Sam SE-

Serious Sam SE                Jedi Knight II

GFFX 5800 U                   69.3                        133.4
16x12

9700 Pro                      61.5                        129.9          
16x12

GFFX 5800 U                    41.9                        100.8
16x12 4xAA 8xAF

9700 Pro                      32.6                          99.7 
16x12 4xAA 8xAF

Wonder what's going on with the AF/AA scores on Serious Sam?? And BTW: bad Doomtrooper for not posting these too!

EDIT: added bit about 2nd PCI slot being open

EDIT2: replaced images with text description of benchmark results

Back