New CPU! 35w AthlonXP 2400+!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Only problem is I have no clue as to what to set the vcore to for different overclocking levels or even for it's default...my mobo don't recognize the chip.

Anyone offer an vcore advice? I'm on an NF7-S rev2, 1GB PC3200, and I'm currently running it at 10x166 vcore 1.65 and it seems stable and cool.

If its anything like the 45watt 2500+ chips, it should easily handle 10*200 @ 1.65. And likely 12*200 @ 1.8 to 13*200 @ 1.9.

The chip should program the VRM automatically when you power it on, it's a hardwired function of the CPU. It shouldn't matter if the BIOS recognizes it or not, as by the time the BIOS is even running the CPU would have either crashed due to undervoltage or burned up if it relied on BIOS functions to set correct voltage. ;)

Guden Oden said:
The chip should program the VRM automatically when you power it on, it's a hardwired function of the CPU. It shouldn't matter if the BIOS recognizes it or not, as by the time the BIOS is even running the CPU would have either crashed due to undervoltage or burned up if it relied on BIOS functions to set correct voltage. ;)
You are correct, I hadn't set it to auto-detect correctly in the bios. :oops:

I set vcore to 1.75 in the bios and set it to 10x200 and she booted up just spiffy and is reading 1.71 for voltage.

42 idle/46 load so far, I'm a happy camper. :)

Guden Oden said:
Not quite correct. The vrm detects the voltage by means of the 5 VID signals. But mobile Athlon XPs (and a 35W Athlon XP certainly is some sort of mobile cpu) use a different VID coding than the desktop chips (see the datasheets for the table). All desktop boards (that I'm aware of) thus detect the voltage wrong (a bit too high). The 45W mobile mainstream athlon XP cpus afaik all use 1.45V, the athlon xp low-power mobile versions (25W) which have a different form factor 1.25V (not sure about the exact value). Therefore, a 35W version probably has a default voltage of something around 1.4V.

Dr. Ffreeze said:
digitalwanderer,

Hello?!?! Before and after benchmarks!??! =p
Nothing yet, I was only running it 10x200 which is less than I was running my Barton at.

11x200 this morning, still all good. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Dr. Ffreeze said:
digitalwanderer,

Nothing yet, I was only running it 10x200 which is less than I was running my Barton at.

The real speed comes when u start playing with your fsb .

You want your highest fsb to cpu ratio u can get.

My friends 2500 barton would only hit 2.4 ghz . But he was able to get his ram up to 272 . It scores faster than my friends p4 3.2 ghz ee .

digitalwanderer said:
Dr. Ffreeze said:
digitalwanderer,

make sure to prime95 too. :) I'm running mine at 2310MHz, but it is idling now at 38 degrees C, and only gets up to about 45 degrees under load...

Nite_Hawk

digitalwanderer said:
Same vcore (1.75 in bios, 1.71 really) and the temp is 44c/46c (idle/load) now. :)

Wow, it's really suprising that your idle and load temps are so close together! My load temps are pretty close to yours, but my idle is 5 degrees cooler. What are your case temps, and what kind of fan/heatsink are you using?

I've got a thermalright alx-800 with a 48cfm panaflo fan on it that is working pretty nicely. I'm using the case of another 80mm fan as a spacer and am pulling air off the cpu rather than pushing air onto it.

Nite_Hawk

Nite_Hawk said:
What are your case temps, and what kind of fan/heatsink are you using?
22c on sys temp and I got a Zalman 7000cu on it in a cheapy case that I've added a couple of 2-3 fans to.

The case has really nice airflow and it isn't ugly, I'm very pleased. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Nite_Hawk said:
What are your case temps, and what kind of fan/heatsink are you using?
22c on sys temp and I got a Zalman 7000cu on it in a cheapy case that I've added a couple of 2-3 fans to.

The case has really nice airflow and it isn't ugly, I'm very pleased. :)

a 22c case temp is quite nice! I'm getting 26c, and that's with a 92mm in front, a 120mm in back, and a 120mm on the power supply. I'm thinking about adding a 80 or 92mm blow hole in the top and reversing the direction of the rear 120mm fan and seeing what that does.

Nite_Hawk

Well, my power supply is just laying on my subwoofer....I hate putting them things inside a case and I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to mount it externally yet. :?

I have an 80-in on the side/middle, a 92-in on the backside/front/bottom, and an 80-out right above my CPU.

I'm switching the 80-out above the CPU to a 120-out soon, and I think I'm going to throw a HD cooler in the front of my PC too to build up the pressure a bit. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Well, my power supply is just laying on my subwoofer....I hate putting them things inside a case and I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to mount it externally yet. :?

I have an 80-in on the side/middle, a 92-in on the backside/front/bottom, and an 80-out right above my CPU.

I'm switching the 80-out above the CPU to a 120-out soon, and I think I'm going to throw a HD cooler in the front of my PC too to build up the pressure a bit. :)

yeah, I have negative case pressure right now, which is ok except that it is going to eventually suck dust into places where air can be sucked through. I'd like to get balanced or positive pressure eventually so that dust won't be a problem (so long as the input fans are all filtered).

Nite_Hawk

digitalwanderer said:
Same vcore (1.75 in bios, 1.71 really) and the temp is 44c/46c (idle/load) now. :)

Damn, and i was being so anal about jumping mine to over 1.7 vcore.

I'm still sitting at 12x200 with a 1.62vcore (1.65 in bios Abit NF-7s rev2).
Stable as can be on my MP 2500+.
38c/49c (idle/load) and i never answered Nite_Hawk on this, but system temp falls between 26-30c.

I got ahold of a 60mm Delta fan that pushes 80+cfm. Yeah that went over like a lead balloon when my case started sliding sideways across the floor, and my wife insinuating i got her a new vacuum from the next room. Gonna get a 60->80mm adapter and try that on my Heatsink next.

Chris_T said:
digitalwanderer said:

Damn, and i was being so anal about jumping mine to over 1.7 vcore.

I'm still sitting at 12x200 with a 1.62vcore (1.65 in bios Abit NF-7s rev2).
Stable as can be on my MP 2500+.
38c/49c (idle/load) and i never answered Nite_Hawk on this, but system temp falls between 26-30c.

I got ahold of a 60mm Delta fan that pushes 80+cfm. Yeah that went over like a lead balloon when my case started sliding sideways across the floor, and my wife insinuating i got her a new vacuum from the next room. Gonna get a 60->80mm adapter and try that on my Heatsink next.

If you go with the 60->80mm (or 60->92mm) adapter, you'll probably have best luck pulling air off the heatsink rather than pushing it. I also have seen some 60->120mm adapters, and with a 120mm you could pretty easily get 70-80cfm at low volume levels.

One of the things I've been interested in lately are the blower type fans. Vantec makes one afaik, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. From what I understand, they handle back pressure quite a bit better, though tend to put out lower cfm. Still, it'd be useful with my heatsink.

Another thing to try, is if you go with an 80mm fan adapter, instead of sticking a 80mm fan on it, you could duct it with one of the ducting kits to the back of the case and have an exhaust fan there. They supposedly work fairly well, though I don't know if anyone has tried it with a 60mm fan adapter.

Lots and lots of options. I have to say that some of the newer water cooling kits for $100 are pretty tempting.

Nite_Hawk

If you want it to run at 35W you have to lower the voltage way down. But if you want it to run fast do as your doing :)

I have a 2500 mobile in my rig nf7s v2 as well it is sweet.

Back