Network problems

Mat3

Newcomer
I just bought a second computer and I'm trying to network the two machines together. They're both running XP. They are connected to a hub, which is connected to the internet. Both machines can access the internet, but they don't see each other at all, even if I do a search. They both have the same workgroup name. I've gone through the network wizard and told it to share files. Firewalls have been disabled too. This is driving me nuts. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What OS versions are you running? Can you browse to the IP address instead of just looking in Entire Network browser? Open a window and put \\192.168.1.2\ in the address bar (with whatever IP address it really is) and see if you can connect and see the shares. If they are XP Pro windows, they should have an admin share by default, like \\192.168.1.2\c$

Turn off simple file sharing in the Explorer, make sure both computers are members of the same workgroup, and use the same user(s) and passwords on both machines. Do use passwords.

Btw, if you have a router and use Firefox/Opera, a software firewall isn't needed.

Back