Neo:6

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
What exactly is Neo:6?

I connected my Audigy ZS to my receiver through optical.

I have these DTS discs that I am playing using VLC Media Player. However, the receiver is displaying DTS Neo:6. Is this pure DTS or some form of channel mixing the receiver is doing?
If I choose Direct PCM the receiver doesn't seem to interpret the DTS data and outputs only stereo.

Opinions are very welcome...........

Uh, I imagine DTS can be in 2.0 format and Neo:6 tries to upmix to 5.1 or 6.1 or something.

You should try to dump some of the files to a PC so you can analyze how many channels they have.

Some are WAV files, others are audio DTS discs.
Hmm.. so it would seem to me what's happening is that:

1) VLC opens the audio and decodes the DTS
2) Sends the audio over optical
3) Since, optical only supports 2-channel PCM, only the front L/R channels reach the receiver
4) Receiver sees the two channel audio and then uses the DTS Neo algorithm to generate surround audio.

If you want the real discrete audio, Creative's MediaSource player is supposed to be able to properly play back DTS audio files, so that the receiver will see the original DTS audio.

Also, if you had a bit-perfect soundcard (X-Fi, Revo, Chaintech AV-710, Audigy 4, Audigy 2 Value), you can use a media player that supported kernel-streaming and also get the original DTS data at the receiver.

Back