Need help upgrading my pc.

kkamil

Newcomer
Hi.
I own HP Pavilion 760n (here) . Recently i bought Gforce 5700 Le Optima graphics card. I noticed that it doesnt run quite up to its potential. Ive decided to check on it. Turned out my pc runs on a really slow motherboard (this one). I was looking at the motherboards, and found this one . Will this work under all the hardware my pc currently has? (its all listed in the 1 link of this post).

Im sorry if ive broke the rules or n/e thing else. I just need a good reliable answer from someone who knows about that stuff. I know im a newbie in this section. Thanks for all answers.

What do you mean when you say the graphics card doesn't run up to it's potential? What is it not doing that it should be doing?

Are you referring to the agp 4x limit on your current mobo?

ZoinKs! said:
What do you mean when you say the graphics card doesn't run up to it's potential? What is it not doing that it should be doing?

Are you referring to the agp 4x limit on your current mobo?

Oh by that i mean that some games like Vice City are slowing down a bit, at lowest resolution and 16 bit textures, which it shouldnt because before that i had crappy mx 440 and it was better (faster?) than this. And also Simcity 4 runs slow, which i think it shouldnt also (takes a long time to render all buildings in the city [i have all the updates for this game]).

And yes, im referring to that agp 4x limit on my mobo, and 400 fb speed...

Thanks for reply.

digitalwanderer said:
I dunno, I'd be more inclined to think your video card needs upgrading than your mobo....5700s aren't really that good.

Well yeah, but its better than the mx 440 ;). I tought it is a good video card, my budget cant afford anything better... i guess ill have to live with this one somehow :(

kkamil said:
Oh by that i mean that some games like Vice City are slowing down a bit, at lowest resolution and 16 bit textures, which it shouldnt because before that i had crappy mx 440 and it was better (faster?) than this. And also Simcity 4 runs slow, which i think it shouldnt also (takes a long time to render all buildings in the city [i have all the updates for this game]).

And yes, im referring to that agp 4x limit on my mobo, and 400 fb speed...
There's no performance difference between agp 4x and 8x, so don't be concerned about that. And to use the new mobo's faster fsb speed, you'd need a new cpu and memory. Your current ones would still run at 400.

I note you said the mx 440 was better then the fx 5700le. That shouldn't be the case... sure the new card isn't spectacular but it should be better. Perhaps you need to try different drivers or something.

[EvilGeniusMode]
How recently did you get your new vidcard? Could you get your money back if you returned it? I'm thinking of a crazy plan here... get your money back for the 5700le, add on the money you planned to spend on a new mobo, then use the total to get a good vidcard... 8)
[/EvilGeniusMode]

ZoinKs! said:
[EvilGeniusMode]
How recently did you get your new vidcard? Could you get your money back if you returned it? I'm thinking of a crazy plan here... get your money back for the 5700le, add on the money you planned to spend on a new mobo, then use the total to get a good vidcard... 8)
[/EvilGeniusMode]

Hmmmm... good plan 8) Which one would you recommend?

9800 xt or pro if you can find one cheap, should be under $200us now and it'll perform a hell of a lot better than your 5700. :)

What I recommend depends on your budget. Can you stretch it up to $194? The only caveat about this card is you need to plug it into your pc's powersupply... so you need a decent psu.

If $194 is too much, we can find less expensive options.

Hey, is there any other possible way to tweak my pc? (Overclocking) Im new in this matter, so i searched thru the web, but didnt find any good tutorials on how and what to do :(. Also can i overclock my video card?
Right now i have 1.7 ghz cpu, up to what can i overclock it?
All the sites ive visited are meant for professionals, is there any site about this for newbies?

Back