Need Help Freeing up Hard Drive Space..wow

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Coola, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Coola

Newcomer

So yea, I have a Dell (i know i know) 40gb hard drive

and now i have like 4.77gb left.. i've removed tons of programs, delete music files, document files, i've defragrmented, disk cleanup, emptied the recycling bin and went into my windows temp folder and cleared everything out. yet i'm still in the gutter. What could be taking up 35GB of hard drive space that i'm not seeing?? I don't get it, totally lost. I have a guest account on windows - but no one goes on it lately, could someone help me figure this out. My friend gmoney also has this problem and he has a dell (i said i know). and..yea if we don't get this fixed we're going to cry.

2. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

3. Coola

Newcomer

Finally

Thank

You

We Owe Your Gemony's Lovife!

4. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

You might try opening up the search window and search for anything 1GB in size or more. I've normally noticed that it being a few large data files or temp files stuck in odd locations that eat up a ton of space.

5. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

Haven't tried TreeSize, but JDiskReport is just about perfect. SequoiaView is also impressive, just not as immediately obvious as JDR. Actually, both look like TreeView with graphics.

Also,

1) lower the disk space IE can use for its Temp Internet files (Tools > Options > Temp Internet files Settings) to something more reasonable, like 100MB,

2) lower the amount of space set aside for the recycle bin (right-click on it, Properties), and

3) if you're using XP, maybe also lower the System Restore size.

#5 Pete, Aug 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2005
    digitalwanderer likes this.
  6. Ichneumon

Regular