Naruto debuts in America tonight, in english!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Don't forget, tonight is the American debut of Naruto on Cartoon Network!

My son & daughter are VERY excited, it's on Toonami which starts at 9pm. (Chicago time)

I heard about a 3 second clip of Naruto speaking, and it didn't totally offend me...so I'm hopeful.

And me without cable.

The time slot would probably allow them to keep a bit of the blood, and for portions with marked violence there is relative restraint. Thankfully from what I've seen of a series about young ninjas, there's not much fan service (or heaven forbid, alchohol use) that requires modifying dialogue or adding bathing suits to please the censors. Oh the joys of localization.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be able to download it a bit later...Naruto has got a bit of a following. ;)

Correction on the time the show starts, it's 8:00pm my time. :oops:

One hour and eight minutes from now.

First 5 minutes review, (commercial break):

The voices annoy, as does the dialogue...but my kids love it.

A new opening, and they have nosebleeds without blood now.

I hate it when Anime gets Americanised.
It turns out all kiddy and crap.

Being cut and not able to bleed is one example of basterdisation.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I hate it when Anime gets Americanised.
It turns out all kiddy and crap.

Being cut and not able to bleed is one example of basterdisation.

Exactly, this is why fansubs are such a godsend and anyone notice how the japanese voices are much more mature and full of emotion...as opposed to the American voices. Reason why I asked is because I downloaded Dual-Audio (Both english and japanese voice options) Trigun...and did the english voice overs suck so much.

Trigun is a WONDERFUL anime by the way (just finished watching all the episodes). The main character is very funny...but I love the contrast between the happiness and the outright rage. The underlying moral of the series, about killing and not killing and how theres always a choice....I liked alot. Currently GunGrave is the anime i'm watching, I like what i'm seeing so far.

Exactly, this is why fansubs are such a godsend and anyone notice how the japanese voices are much more mature and full of emotion...as opposed to the American voices.
Part of the way the industry is. In Japan, one can make a career solely out of voice acting roles, and it's actually competitive and people who go into the business usually go through a lot of the same training singers go through (quite a few of them actually ARE singers). In the US, the average voice actor gets about 3-4 jobs a year, and while the hourly pay is exceptional, the actual time working is not that much. Which is kind of why you had the whole SAG vs. game industry things with voice actors complaining about the pay not that long ago.

There's no such thing as a trained voice actor in the US. There's just the people who have gotten good through experience and are extremely prolific, and there are those who can work for standard or lower pay scale. Who do you think gets hired? In Japan, anime is a big enough industry to justify getting "stars" if you can get them.

I think the common feeling is also that voice acting is easy -- people seem to forget that part of what makes an on-screen actor believable is their gesturing and expression, which is something a voice actor doesn't have. If anything, it's harder because you have only a voice to make the character believable.

That said, there's also some extent to which you can blame the casting directors.

ShootMyMonkey said:
Part of the way the industry is. In Japan, one can make a career solely out of voice acting roles, and it's actually competitive and people who go into the business usually go through a lot of the same training singers go through (quite a few of them actually ARE singers). In the US, the average voice actor gets about 3-4 jobs a year, and while the hourly pay is exceptional, the actual time working is not that much. Which is kind of why you had the whole SAG vs. game industry things with voice actors complaining about the pay not that long ago.

Actually the US and Japanese voice acting industry is not particularly dissimilar. There are actors on both sides who make a profitable career out of voice acting full time but that is generally a small minority. The bulk do supplemental work in either theatre, singing, movies or regular TV acting.

Anime workers in Japan are often extremely poorly paid and there has been recent talk of strikes given that the average animator is living on a below subsistance wage and is generally supported by family members to keep working. This is one reason why Production IG has been talking about shaking up their pay scale system to include a percentage of profits made as an incentive. This lack of pay carries over into voice acting in Japan.

Finally be careful ascribing maturity to acting performances on the Japanese track. For cultural reasons they express themselves vocally quite differently so that it is very easy to mis-interpret a performance. I wish I could find the link of the person who ended up working for Production IG who used to just hate the English dub of the series and loved the more 'mature' Japanese dub - of course once he moved to Japan, learnt the language and culture a bit he was somewhat surprised to revist the Japanese dub and find it to be a very poor dub indeed.

Personally i LOVE the japanese voices, they are just totally spot on all the time. And i got used to do the subtitles thing, even though it's tiring sometimes.

I'm at around episode 55 now... Very good show, though not the best i've ever seen. I like my shows epical in scope, and this still seems rather ... ? If that's the right way to say it.
(what's the opposite of epical anyway?)

london-boy said:
Personally i LOVE the japanese voices, they are just totally spot on all the time. And i got used to do the subtitles thing, even though it's tiring sometimes.

I'm at around episode 55 now... Very good show, though not the best i've ever seen. I like my shows epical in scope, and this still seems rather ... ? If that's the right way to say it.
(what's the opposite of epical anyway?)

Its like Dawsons Creek...but with a Nine Tailed FireFox living in the belly of a teenager....

Jew said:
I find Jap anim a bit choppy.

I think they make their animations with less frames per second then american animation. There was one episode in Naruto (much farther down the line) where it seemed like they went all out and added many more frames to the animation...it was smooth as silk. I guess its a time consumption thing? try to get the anime out as fast as possible...or its just the style.

digitalwanderer said:
Episodic?

55, is that during the Chunin exam? (I'm on 150 waiting for 151 to come out today... ;) )

Yep, they just finished the "preliminary" fights and the one-month break just began, Naruto is being trained in the hot springs and they meet some white haired guy on a huge frog. That was the last thing i saw.

BlueTsunami said:
Its like Dawsons Creek...but with a Nine Tailed FireFox living in the belly of a teenager....

Do you want me to stop watching the show? Really, that thing you mentioned is one of my all-time hated things in the universe.

just started watching the show. So far Ive got to give it 2 thumbs up for the 2 episodes shown. I got a good laugh from both episodes, so ill keep watching as long as it stays funny.

epic

BlueTsunami said:
I think they make their animations with less frames per second then american animation. There was one episode in Naruto (much farther down the line) where it seemed like they went all out and added many more frames to the animation...it was smooth as silk. I guess its a time consumption thing? try to get the anime out as fast as possible...or its just the style.

I think more the style. With that said, I have enjoyed some of their stuff. I even once waited in line years ago to see "Akira" (I think) in columbus ohio to see it when it first came out.

epicstruggle said:
just started watching the show. So far Ive got to give it 2 thumbs up for the 2 episodes shown. I got a good laugh from both episodes, so ill keep watching as long as it stays funny.

epic

The first episodes are funny with the Harem jutsu thing. And Sakura just makes me laugh with the "inner Sakura" thing... Naruto is just so thick at times it makes you laugh, though he can get a bit annoying.

It's a good show.

They animate at very low fps and dont use even dividers of 30/60 ... it probably looks a little better after IVTC.

Back