My wife cried on Sunday night

Reverend

Banned
She'd complained about a persistent headache since Thursday. On Saturday, we discovered a small bump/swell at the top of her head. The headache got worse. On Sunday, 2 of her friends told her she better get a CT scan. That night, she cried, fearing the worst. I tried to comfort/reassure her, saying she shouldn't be scared since we still have no idea what the cause is and it's useless to be scared and to fear the worst when we know nothing.

Scan was done on Monday and everything appeared normal. A neurologist was consulted and he said that what my wife had was, and this is the first time I have heard of this, "infection of the hair follicles", which can be pretty painful and can take some time to heal.

I tell you, despite my appearing brave for her the night before the scan, I was scared as hell myself.

She still has pain in the head but with the prescribed medicines it's much better now.

glad it wasnt something more serious. I had that problem in a very unfortunate place. It can be quite painful/discomforting. Hope it doesnt take too long for your wife.

epic

Thanks God it wasnt anything serious. I havent got married yet, but if anything were to happen to my GF i would be scared as hell since i love her a lot.

sounds like a horrible time. i'm glad to hear that all you had where a big shock. i'm very happy it's nothing serious for her!

Wow, that was lucky - relatively speaking.

My mother had a brain tumour when i was little, the size of her fist to her left temple. Let's not get into a discussion of how the hell that got past the -italian- doctors for so long that in the end she had to be operated as an emergency when they mistakenly discovered it, after she basically was never conscious, she would go from sleep state to convulsions back to sleep and so on in the last week or so before the op, at which point the doctors decided to do this new CT thing (at the time) cause from EEGs they could see nothing... err... The op was a success, but the recovery took the best part of a year and the obvious implications are a lifetime kind of ordeal, with constant medication and rigorous lifestyle changes (no smoke, no coffee, no stress etc), which of course she doesn't respect, the silly cow!

The whole thing practically changed the whole family's lives subsequently and is a right pain in the ass let me tell you.

She just got diagnosed again, it's back but much much smaller so she'll be just fine :D

Anyway, what is an infection to the follicles?? How did that happen??

Wow, that was lucky - relatively speaking.

My mother had a brain tumour when i was little, the size of her fist to her left temple. Let's not get into a discussion of how the hell that got past the -italian- doctors for so long that in the end she had to be operated as an emergency when they mistakenly discovered it, after she basically was never conscious, she would go from sleep state to convulsions back to sleep and so on in the last week or so before the op, at which point the doctors decided to do this new CT thing (at the time) cause from EEGs they could see nothing... err... The op was a success, but the recovery took the best part of a year and the obvious implications are a lifetime kind of ordeal, with constant medication and rigorous lifestyle changes (no smoke, no coffee, no stress etc), which of course she doesn't respect, the silly cow!

The whole thing practically changed the whole family's lives subsequently and is a right pain in the ass let me tell you.

She just got diagnosed again, it's back but much much smaller so she'll be just fine :D

Anyway, what is an infection to the follicles?? How did that happen??

Good timing, my second brother's just been operated this morning (for a nasty hernia)...
About the infection of the follicles, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folliculitis

Rev, glad it was nothing too serious.

My mother has had two types of benige tumors (cervical and brain tumours) and also malignant thyroid canser and all have been sucsessfully cured by the wonders of medical science today.

So even if the worst seems to be happening remember that we are in the best situation so far to treat it!

Ugh

I can't imagine being with my girlfriend/wife and her having *something*... ANYTHING... hurting her that I had no control over.

:(

I know it'll happen eventually. Everyone has to deal with something along those lines.

I had a shock like that one time. About 10 years ago I felt a hard lump near/under my scrotum and I feared the worst -- testicular cancer (although I felt no actual lump on the testicle itself). I went to the doctor and they examined the area and took a blood test. They told me it was "most likely" a big swollen lymph node from some infection and gave me antibiotics. I went home.

A day later, they tried to call me with the results of the blood test on a Friday, but they got my answering machine. The message said something like "doctor needs to see to you as soon as possible about the results of your blood test, call back to schedule an appointment" A chill ran down my spine, I almost fainted!

Here I was taking antibiotics and relieved it was an infection, what could possibly be urgent, what did they find in my blood?! Why does the doctor need to talk to me ASAP in person? Couldn't they just tell me the blood test turned out ok over the phone? Unfortunately, I didn't get that message until late Friday when the office was closed. And I had to wait 3 *agonizing* days until that Monday. (I tried asking to page/call the doctor, they kept saying they can't say what it is over the phone) Three days of mental torture as I scavenged the internet and my mind variously tried to prove I had cancer, so I could be prepared for it when I went there. I had practically concluded I was a goner. I mean, why would the doctor want to talk in person? It must be so he can "break the bad news". Otherwise, if it was something non-serious, wouldn't they just tell me over the phone?

Monday came, and all the doctor wanted to do was to scold me about my high cholestorol that they found while during a full blood panel.

I have a small little lump on the side of my head from that sort of thing. The explanation i was given is that a hair follicle heals over (usually but not always from some sort of injury, in my case a rugby stud to the side of the head that left me bleeding nicely) but the sebaceous glands keep on producing oil and you end up with a nice mulch of sebum and skin flakes in a little lump..

naturally being a bloke i didn't go to the dr about it for ages, so just as well it was nothing to worry about.

Back