My T610 is getting long in the tooth - what 3G phone?

Guden Oden

Legend
As topic says... :)

I prioritize small size (which maybe isn't very common in 3G phones) and long battery life (again, perhaps not common)... It needs to have a decent camera, but I guess they all do these days, and a flash memory slot of some kind.

It doesn't need to be equipped with the proverbial kitchen sink though, but if it is, I won't see it as a drawback as long as my other criteria are fulfilled. :p

Anyone got any favorites/suggestions? What's coming up from the various manufacturers? I know of no good cellphone site so I don't know where to check...

The V3 is a great phone in most respects but unfortunately, has a ludicrously small amount of memory which isn't expandable. Not a problem for me but as it's something you specifically mentioned...

Razr is definitely the most stylish one.

The smallest mopho I know of is my S-E T600. Phone, SMS and WAP, nothing else in there but it's really the smallest you'll find. That's what I call mobile phone, the rest is more like "mobile bone" IMHO.

All the new "feature"-laden ones suck in terms of UI and user interaction and are all too big for my taste. You know, like when you want to send a text message and have to go through 20 steps till it's out. I HATE that.

You can always go with the T630, if you liked your 610. Same UI etc. I own it and I don't use it, ever - see above.

And keep away from Siemens! They have a bit better UI than S-E, but tend to crap out rather often (dead buttons etc.). The new SL65 should be better from what I've heard, but I still don't trust Siemens (I owned the SL55, small and handy, nice UI but the buttons crapped out daily).

Mariner said:
The V3 is a great phone in most respects but unfortunately, has a ludicrously small amount of memory which isn't expandable. Not a problem for me but as it's something you specifically mentioned...

5.5MB is ludicrously small???

Nowadays a cell phone can also be a mp3-player, digital camera, and video camera. And then yes, 5.5MB is ludicrously small.

If you use your cell phone as a phone, and nothing more (maybe take an occational picture), then 5.5MB is plenty.

It's all up to your usage pattern.

Sage said:
Mariner said:

5.5MB is ludicrously small???

Yes.

My Nokia has 8MB fixed memory and a 64MB mem card thing, got it last year. All included in the box. Same for new Sony ones - there's a 64MB MS DUO inside already.

Sage said:
Motorola RAZR V3 hands down

Americans :rolleyes: :LOL:
sorry, you guys have fu**pup taste when it comes to mobile phones

how is the new SE K750 and K 800 ?

the nokia 6630 but it isnt that small

_xxx_ said:
You can always go with the T630, if you liked your 610.
Is that a 3G phone tho? I think it's just standard GSM...

Same UI etc. I own it and I don't use it, ever - see above.
I'm not overly fond of the UI in the T610. The number of clicks needed to turn bluetooth on or off for example is almost staggering (something like 6 or 7 levels of menus IIRC).

And keep away from Siemens!
Thank you, I intend to! 8) Didn't I hear something about that company being in rather dire financial straits too btw?

I'd prefer a Nokia or S-E handset myself, as they seem to have the kind of design I prefer along with the features I like. As they still only make a handful of 3G models tho, there's too little to choose from if I limit myself to just these manufacturers. :(

The V3 is a very nice phone as I can attest. One of the main benefits is that you can carry it in a pocket without noticing it's really there. On the negative side, it's not the most well-featured in comparison to some of the newer phones.

One of my friends has just received a K750 and seems happy with it. Seems to be a decent size, looks quite nice and is well-featured. I think that he had a T610 as his previous phone too.

Guden Oden said:
Is that a 3G phone tho? I think it's just standard GSM...

Dunno, but they have a website ;)

Didn't I hear something about that company being in rather dire financial straits too btw?

Yes, they're just tring to sell their mobile division.

Finding a small mopho nowadays is like looking for aliens, but there's a bunch of devices with all the features you'll ever need.

I like these design-wise:

Panasonic X500

Sony K608i

Sony K750i

Sony V600i

Back