My PC won't turned on any more, please help

PSman

Banned
One of my PC suddenly won't turned on anymore when I push the power button. It've been working perfectly for two years now. This morning I woke up and turned it on, but nothing happen, no power, no nothing. It seem like it's dead or something. I've try unplugging the power plug and plug it back in, but it stil won't turn on. Are there anyway to fix this? Can a perfectly good PC just die out like that?

There's several things that can go wrong. The PSU or the motherboard or cpu could have died, so try to figure out which one it is.

First, disconnect everything like hard-drives, dvd-roms, floppy from the PSU and motherboard and try running just with the motherboard/cpu/video/memory and psu. If it powers up, then its one of your peripherals causing the issue.

If not, proceed to test the PSU from all peripherals and motherboard. Then plug in a fan and jumper the psu to turn on (reference: http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm). See if it powers up. If it does, unjumper it, slowly connect more items to it, while repeating the test. That will test PSU with different load levels.

If the above works, then it's likely the motherboard or cpu.

Entire PCs just dying on the spot isn't that common but old PSUs full of dust and promptly shorting out are. If you've got a spare PSU (or just use one from another PC) then it's worth giving that a try first; after that, go back to basics - strip out all of your components apart from the CPU, RAM and graphics card to see if it functions then, checking for any shorting taking place between the motherboard or case.

This may be obvious and dumb but someone's got to mention it:
Most PSUs have a proper AC power switch on the back. Make sure it's on.

Happend to me several times. One was a PSU death. The other one was a loosly fitted 24-pin cable that after years of vibration finnaly slipped out. Last one was a dead mobo.

Open the case, make sure all your power cables are properly plugged in and PSU is on. If that's not the reason, BRiT's advice is seconded.

If that happens, first clean out all the dirt and dust before you do something else. Most of the time, that fixes it.

Back