Multipurpose Displays: What too look for and to avoid

Before the update that allowed 1680x1050 upscaling, my display would stretch (1366x768) to the full (16:10) screen. After the update I could select 1680x1050 in the NXE and this brought black bars into account, giving me a proper 16:9 aspect ratio on my 22" Samsung. This means that the 360 probably adds the black bars and so the 1920x1200 screens will probably take this output and keep the black bars.

I think that any screen above 22" should probably have 1920x1200 as a minimum resolution, unless you sit really far from your screen. I would go for option 1 because of the inputs - you basically have everything, so you also have a backup in case you have problem with one of them. HDMI/HDCP is definitely a big added value which will keep the display useful for many more years.

I think I'd go for option 1.

And yeah, happy birthday! :)

Thanks guys! I think I will go with the HannsG...

But hypothetical Q: If I were able to contribute to my own fund and, say, get a 32" under $500 any specific suggestions fo a low lag 32" 1080p LCD that would be servicable for a 360 via VGA (no/low lag) and PC over HDMI? Seems others are looking in the same market and was curious if RobertR1 and other AV junkies could head me in the right direction. Preferrable if Costco.com carries it (warranty and where my folks like to shop). Any word on the VA320M (in shop model)? Others?

Not wishing you a happy bday till you sell the xfire :mad:

You mean the Xim2 :p And you haven't seen anything until MW2 :devilish: Oh, and this baby works with Flight Sticks. Once I get a config I won't leave the skies muwahahaha

Anyhow, any word from AVS junkie RobertR1?

Thanks guys! I think I will go with the HannsG...

But hypothetical Q: If I were able to contribute to my own fund and, say, get a 32" under $500 any specific suggestions fo a low lag 32" 1080p LCD that would be servicable for a 360 via VGA (no/low lag) and PC over HDMI? Seems others are looking in the same market and was curious if RobertR1 and other AV junkies could head me in the right direction. Preferrable if Costco.com carries it (warranty and where my folks like to shop). Any word on the VA320M (in shop model)? Others?

Well, I don't know how the price conversions hold up, but over here you can definitely get a good 1080p display for 599 euro. I'm incredibly happy with my 32" Samsung, even though that one is one of those European 1366x768. The colors are just so beautiful. I don't know about 1:1 pixel mapping support though, but that kind of TV would be hard to beat for games. For just a regular computer screen, it may be a bit big if you sit close :D

EDIT: the Samsung LE-32B530 Full HD LCD is 567 euro over here for instance. At costco I seem to only be able to find its bigger brother for $749:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11472489&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

EDIT2: if you're stuck at costco, this is your only real option I think, at $529. I seem to remember it being quite decent:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc..._Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

From the surface it looks more than capable. Personally though as I have a small room, I find my 53" A little too big because I have to turn my head to see whats going on! :D

Now I see that Samsung has a newer model that no longer uses the "edge lit LED" ans its call the 8500 series good thing I didnt get the 8000 just yet. Does anyone know or think why the edge lit was scrubbed in favor of the local dimming flavor and how will it do for gaming?

From the surface it looks more than capable. Personally though as I have a small room, I find my 53" A little too big because I have to turn my head to see whats going on! :D

My room is about as small as it comes and have a 80" screen, that still isnt big enough for me! I have shifty dog eyes though so head movement is at a minimum :LOL:

P1000177.jpg

Woo, you're all set when they introduce head tracking games then. /sly_grin.

Regards,
SB

My room is about as small as it comes and have a 80" screen, that still isnt big enough for me! I have shifty dog eyes though so head movement is at a minimum :LOL:

Yeah, I think im pretty much set for the next step in console evolution either way! :D, Natal or PS Eye!

Though Shadowrunner, it does really depend on how close you sit from that TV, my seating position varies from 4-6 feet away and the thing totally dominates my vision.

What do you thing a TV like this will do for games will it really bring out the imperfections or do they do a good job of helping hide the jaggies?

What do you thing a TV like this will do for games will it really bring out the imperfections or do they do a good job of helping hide the jaggies?

To be honest, I hardly notice much of an aliasing problem unless its an odd exception of a title, well at least for the Xbox 360 and PS3! On the Wii its a different story, and with some of the titles the number and size of them all over the TV is quite sickening! Thats one of the reasons why I tend to avoid a lot of Wii titles, like the Conduit as I noticed they had quite the aliasing problem in a few posted screens. Im not too much of a graphics whore, im more an immersion whore and thats why I like sitting so close to such a big tv.

My 2 cents.

I recently (6 weeks ago) upgraded my 22" Philips 202P4 CRT monitor to a UE32B6050 Samsung LED backlit LCD. The Philips weighed a tons and was the size of a small fridge, The Samsung is slim (1-1½ inch).

Except for size the image quality of the Samsung is inferior in every way.

Colour is off, reds are pink, yellows looks grey-ish, if you adjust to correct, blue/greens are off.

Ghosting at normal luminance levels are low, but higher in game mode. At low luminance levels, ghosting is significant (even my girlfriend can spot it). Latency is detectable, - even in game mode. The LED backlight adjustments are crude, as in the whole backlight dims in dark scenes, this might be an artifact of game mode or it might be because it's not a newest gen 7 Samsung.

As a monitor it is O.K., but I'd never use it as my main TV, it just plain SUCKS compared to my Pioneer plasma in the living room.

I'd say get a full HD plasma if you can, save more money if you have to, - image quality is so infinitely better. Burn in worries are similar to burn in worries for CRTs, not a real problem IMO.

Cheers

Colour is off, reds are pink, yellows looks grey-ish, if you adjust to correct, blue/greens are off.
That's just plain wrong. Do you have one of the dodgy picture modes enabled? My friend was playing Puzzle Quest and the primary/secondary colour gems were completely miscoloured on his TV. Turns out he had 'movie mode' on the picture type which messed everything up. Switching to normal corrected the colours.

Otherwise there's no way the colour should be that out. Different sets have slightly different temperatures. I had an LCD once that couldn't do a proper lemon yellow, and yellows were always slightly orange, but it was fairly early. I find it very hard to believe that Samsung are producing TVs that can't display correct colours, given their experience and history of producing excellent sets. My Sammy has a great picture (game, monitor and BRD. Analogue SDTV is rough), no ghosting, and no obvious, annoying lag despite no game mode.

That's just plain wrong. Do you have one of the dodgy picture modes enabled? My friend was playing Puzzle Quest and the primary/secondary colour gems were completely miscoloured on his TV. Turns out he had 'movie mode' on the picture type which messed everything up. Switching to normal corrected the colours.

I exaggerated, the reds have a pinkish hue, they are not Barbie pink, - it's a subtle effect. I'm just disappointed with the overall picture quality of the screen, the problem might be that I upgraded from a best-in-class CRT.

Every damn mode is off though, I've tried everything, modes, manual colour correction, etc.

My Sammy has a great picture (game, monitor and BRD. Analogue SDTV is rough), no ghosting, and no obvious, annoying lag despite no game mode.

What model do you have? Lag without game mode is unbearable, I'd say at least 100ms, in game mode it is greatly reduced, but still detectable.

Cheers

I exaggerated, the reds have a pinkish hue, they are not Barbie pink, - it's a subtle effect. I'm just disappointed with the overall picture quality of the screen, the problem might be that I upgraded from a best-in-class CRT.
That could be it I guess. CRTs really do give a great picture. Thankfully with have SEDs/FEDs that offer the best of both worlds, and these rolled out a few years ago at prices cheaper than LEDs. :yep2:

What model do you have? Lag without game mode is unbearable, I'd say at least 100ms, in game mode it is greatly reduced, but still detectable.
Samsung 2032MW. Of course this is a small monitor/TV which I think makes a big difference.

That could be it I guess. CRTs really do give a great picture. Thankfully with have SEDs/FEDs that offer the best of both worlds, and these rolled out a few years ago at prices cheaper than LEDs. :yep2:

You can actually buy those?! I thought they were pipedreams... Are you talking about them as computer monitors or full sized TVs?

Back