Multipurpose Displays: What too look for and to avoid

My 2 cents.

I recently (6 weeks ago) upgraded my 22" Philips 202P4 CRT monitor to a UE32B6050 Samsung LED backlit LCD. The Philips weighed a tons and was the size of a small fridge, The Samsung is slim (1-1½ inch).

Except for size the image quality of the Samsung is inferior in every way.

Colour is off, reds are pink, yellows looks grey-ish, if you adjust to correct, blue/greens are off.

Ghosting at normal luminance levels are low, but higher in game mode. At low luminance levels, ghosting is significant (even my girlfriend can spot it). Latency is detectable, - even in game mode. The LED backlight adjustments are crude, as in the whole backlight dims in dark scenes, this might be an artifact of game mode or it might be because it's not a newest gen 7 Samsung.

As a monitor it is O.K., but I'd never use it as my main TV, it just plain SUCKS compared to my Pioneer plasma in the living room.

I'd say get a full HD plasma if you can, save more money if you have to, - image quality is so infinitely better. Burn in worries are similar to burn in worries for CRTs, not a real problem IMO.

Cheers

Gubbi I hate to say it but I think you bought a crummy tv. I've done some more reasearch on this tv and I heard that the 6000 and 7000 series are both edge lit where your is back lit like you said in your post. I also saw that cnet gave the 7000 samsungs' highest rating (8.2) for an LCD and I can only hope that the 8000 that I want is even better. I'll know for sure soon enough I got a great deal on the tv so I'm really hoping I'll get it in the next 2 weeks.

I also hope it doesn't make Halo 3 look like a turd being to clear. I play a lot of Halo with my wife on live gotta love same system splitscreen online play.

Gubbi I hate to say it but I think you bought a crummy tv. I've done some more reasearch on this tv and I heard that the 6000 and 7000 series are both edge lit where your is back lit like you said in your post. I also saw that cnet gave the 7000 samsungs' highest rating (8.2) for an LCD and I can only hope that the 8000 that I want is even better. I'll know for sure soon enough I got a great deal on the tv so I'm really hoping I'll get it in the next 2 weeks.

Found a review here, and indeed it is a lemon.

I can live with it, it's low luminace performance sucks (ghosting and poor colour reproduction), but Crysis looks and plays great on it as does regular desktop work.

Cheers

You can actually buy those?!
No, hence the sarcastic smiley. I remember the promises, and the press releases, and yet nothing ever appeared. Which is a crying shame, but just goes to show technological promises are worthless.

Now if you don't mind I'm gonna switch on my Cell powered SED and watch some movies from my methanol fuel-cell powered laptop...

Back