Mr. Bush's watch stolen!

What part of this world is diluted enough to greet him with such ferocity? This CAN'T be America....

If he's truly concerned with the loss of precious articles of his, he should have his bodyguards temporarily remove his head before every public appearance he makes to save it from being torn off by the bullet of an assassin.

I love the way Jon Stewart put it on the Daily Show: "How did those people get so close to the President? They're hugging him, playing with his hair...! We're not even allowed to ask the guy questions!"

Supposedly the watch was actually removed prior to engaging with the crowd (or at least that's what the white house press corp says). They say this is standard procedure.

I love the way Jon Stewart put it on the Daily Show: "How did those people get so close to the President? They're hugging him, playing with his hair...! We're not even allowed to ask the guy questions!"
Sorry, missed that before I posted up. :oops:

Supposedly the watch was actually removed prior to engaging with the crowd (or at least that's what the white house press corp says). They say this is standard procedure.
Sure, but the videos show Bush engaging the crowd while wearing the watch.

Well, maybe he started to, then thought "huh, I better put my watch in my pocket"

Anyways, I find it interesting to note the following:
- The population of a country that actually has undergone tyranny in recent memory likes Bush and is pro-America.
- Countries that haven't, call him a fascist warmonger
- This watch story is getting a lot of press, and the cynic in me wonders if the story is getting so much traction as a 'counter' to the 'Bush gets warm welcome in Albania' story.

Well, maybe he started to, then thought "huh, I better put my watch in my pocket"

- The population of a country that actually has undergone tyranny in recent memory likes Bush and is pro-America.
- Countries that haven't, call him a fascist warmonger
- This watch story is getting a lot of press, and the cynic in me wonders if the story is getting so much traction as a 'counter' to the 'Bush gets warm welcome in Albania' story.
I completely agree, especially with your last point. I mean come on, may be they just don't want to leave a bad impression about the crowd based on the actions of one person. Hell, the watch could have just fallen off, after becoming loose in the beginning.

epic

Perhaps the mainstream media has an anti-Albanian bias. ;)

(At the risk of dragging this thread further into RSPC, I should note that the previously stated generalization has a number of counterexamples, and many countries that are pro-America are not necessarily fans of the administration.)

Bush is revered in Albania because he's been heavily pushing for the indepence of Kosovo, mainly populated by ethnic Albanians. It's entirely about ethnic divisions in the Balkans and has got nothing to do with recent Albanian tyranny, let alone Bush's worldwide politics. Unless your really think the Albanians worship Bush for starting the Iraq war over nonexistent weapons of mass destruction :D
Yeah. That must be it.

To bring things back from the political brink, let's speculate on the watch.

I didn't see a good shot of the watch.

What was it?
Rolex?
Mickey Mouse?

Leather band?
Nylon?

Digital, mechanical?

I'm thinking mechanical, maybe a little worn, has non-metal dark leather or some kind of polymer band, and is most likely set wrong.

To bring things back from the political brink, let's speculate on the watch.

I didn't see a good shot of the watch.

What was it?
Rolex?
Mickey Mouse?

Leather band?
Nylon?

Digital, mechanical?

I'm thinking mechanical, maybe a little worn, has non-metal dark leather or some kind of polymer band, and is most likely set wrong.

One of the articles I read said it was a $50 timex with some kind of stars and stripes theme.

Back