More school trouble, Just was threatened.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Some kid got Justin all upset threatening to kill him with a shotgun and have his father tear my head off.

It's stupid, but it got to Justin and I see no reason why he should have to put up with shit like that. Hell, they suspended Justin last year because they suspected he gave someone the finger....I'm waiting for a call back from the principal because I want to know that the kid who threatened my son is going to be dealt with at least as harshly.

If it continues at all I'm gonna go apeshit, I don't like bullies. :devilish:

Screw that. Take your kid out of the school if thes things continue. You as a parent nor your kid should have to put up with this kind of harrassment. With all the recent shootings at schools this may be somethign to take seriously. The one threatening your child should be given at least a 5 day suspension. Threatening someone's life is prety freaking serious. Start looking for beter schools for your children, even if your child goes t o a piblic school look at other public ones around the area.

Totally unacceptable behaviour. Something should be done, especially after the threat. That's just terrible.

Report it to the police, and keep a diary of anything like this. It's a murder threat. If things continue, a diary of events/threats will go a long way to getting things sorted before they escalate too much.

Nah, first step is to talk to the teacher and principal about it. I know the principal pretty well from last year and even though we went pretty head-to-head a couple of times I do respect the guy and think he's a straight shooter.

First talk to the school and see how they're dealing with it, if that isn't satisfactory I take it from there.

nip it in the bud....another reason im not reproducing...public education...bullies...assorted miscreants in schools (neocons...lol)

it's only gonna get worse, with all the welfare cases out there...with NO prospects...IMO. you don't feed those who won't feed themselves. especially in a land of plenty.

i remember in 3rd grade i had a leather vest, this bully wanted it, his dad was in prison, if i didn't let him wear it (later have it) his father would kill me when he got out. amazing what miscreants think is appropriate. i don't remember what happened, i must've blocked it out. wasn't a fight or anything. i think my parents may have had them shot or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was my kid I'd go straight to the cops, let them deal with the school. Hooliganism should never be tolerated even the slightest, not amongst kids, not anywhere.

Going to the school first likely means they'll just try to sweep it all under the carpet and make it go away. That, or they'll deal with the situation ineptly, leaving the rotten bastard in a position to do something similar (or worse) again. A 5-day suspension for a murder threat? WOW! That'll sure teach that little punk a lesson! ...Not.

Yeah, the cops, definitely.

The principal and teacher ditched out of the school before contacting me, so I contacted the superintendent and we had a nice chat.

He'll be at the school tomorrow morning to talk to the principal, I'll take it from there.

Don't go apeshit, Diggie, especially in front of your son. Show Justin how--if at all possible--you handle people like this calmly and maturely.

My wife just had a somewhat similar situation dealing with another mom who lives two doors down from us. The neighborhood moms decided to send the kids, all roughly the same age, to a local pre-school together. They have weekly play groups, so the kids know each other, and they thought it would be nice if they attended the same school. We checked it out and it had good reviews from other parents. Third day of class, Melissa goes to pick Megan up and Megan and her little buddy Evan are both in time-out for bad behavior, and Megan was apparently the instigator (surprise, surprise). But no big deal, learning to listen and follow directions is all part of the pre-school fun. Unfortunately, a few days later Evan's mom calls Melissa demanding that we move Megan out of that class because Megan is obviously such a negative influence on Evan and is negatively affecting his academic career. I shit you not. Evan's mom, Tara, is a 6th grade teacher so she thinks she's an expert on child development at all ages. She goes after Megan in a big way over the phone, though, telling Melissa that as a teacher she sees all these red flags and issues with Megan's behavior and development, blah blah. And of course her son who can never play with other kids without constantly hitting (worse punishment he receives for this is being told "no sir") is in no way at blame. I had no idea this was going on, I just hear Melissa very calmly talking, but she relates the gist of the convo to me once she's off and my immediate comment was, "You're a better person than I am, I would've told that bitch to go f*ck herself 5 minutes into that discussion." Melissa was willing to let it go, but Tara moved Evan to a different class where he kept getting into trouble, Tara calls back again saying it's Melissa's fault for refusing to move Megan because Evan is now having to adapt to a new teacher and it's just too much for him. Another neighborhood play group comes along and while Melissa stepped outside one of the other moms told her that Tara got in Megan's face berating her (I heard from 3 other moms that Evan was an absolute unholy terror that day, attacking all the other kids and hitting his own mom, with, again, the only consequences being "no sir").

My wife calmly confronted Tara about the situation, and she denied everything. The upsetting part to my wife is that she was friends with Tara since she had moved into the neighborhood three years ago, and Evan is only three weeks older than Megan, so they've always been through the same stages of mom together. But because of the way my wife handled the situation a lot of the other neighbors are now avoiding Tara because of her willingness to attack another kid to avoid recognizing the faults of her own or requiring him to take responsibility for his own actions (there's always a new excuse for why he's hitting). They simply recognize that she's not a very nice person and don't want to be around her or, unfortunately, Evan (who isn't a bad kid at all, he's a typical 3yo boy who's allowed to act however he wants). Had she gotten into a screaming match with Tara I don't think people would've made as clear a distinction in their decisions or realized the utter ridiculousness of Tara's overreactions to a 5 minute pre-school timeout on the 3rd day of school.

In preschool I would worry less about such threats. But if my kid was threatened with gun violence in middle school or high school, and it was an ongoing thing, I'd probably remove him from the school. Frankly, I can't stand punks and bullies and if the school can't do anything about it, I'm not taking the chance that the kid doesn't really have access to weapons.

My kids are going to either a local elite magnet school, or Cupertino/Palo Alto schools, or private schools. These schools are such that they are either very hard to get into (lottery/waiting list), expensive areas to live in (real estate wise), or cost money, which means the parents give a shit about their kids education, and are more likely to be responsive if their kid is running around like the alpha ape.

Private schools in my area cost around $20k per year. The chances of getting into the best public schools around here are slim due to they are a) lottery only and b) kids of people who work for the local government get priority! So each year, the number of lottery openings is relatively small since government workers get to send their kids first (a ripoff of my tax dollars if you ask me. I pay their salaries and pay for their school, yet all of their kids get first choice?) Anyway, I've already been stashing enough money every year to deal with when my son starts school in 2 years. Next year, at 2 1/2, he'll start in pre-school which is alot cheaper ($2500-4k per "semester")

Anyway, if the other kids father is threatening violence, take it to the police. Make sure he doesn't have your full name/info tho. Otherwise, better stock up on some shotguns incase he's some angry dipshit who might decide to come over to your house for reporting him to the police.

My son is in fourth grade as is the kid who threatened him, so it's not a high school thing.

I was actually sort of proud of myself for not flying off the handle over this one. Oh, I did fly off the handle and go bonkers about it for a few minutes once my son and his best friend Bryce told me what happened. (Bryce is in the same class as my son and saw/heard it all, I just got a PM from Bryce's mom over at EB telling me how Bryce is all fired up to beat up the kid who threatened my son because he's so mad about it. Gotta love friends, but I told her to tell him not to as I'm trying to teach my son how to work within the rules to solve problems rather than taking matters into your own hands as that will just lead to getting yourself into trouble...if that makes any sense.)

I think it's only natural to go a little bonkers and see red, but I waited until we got home and the kids were set up doing something then I took the pups outside and did my venting privately. After a few minutes I calmed down and figured out my plan of action, I am learning. :)

My son is fine now and I think it is the best thing right now to just wait and see what tomorrow brings. I plan to go into school with my son tomorrow to make sure it's been dealt with before leaving him there, this ain't a situation where I'd be satisfied with a lecture/slap on the wrists after all we went thru last year for less.

Thanks for the story John, I've been debating if I should call the parents of the kids involved or not and your story makes me feel better about choosing the "not" option.

Calling them would be fine if I knew they were rational people/good parents, but I don't. It could just antagonize things and make it all worse.

We'll see what happens. I'm just glad I reacted calmly this time. :)

Anyway, if the other kids father is threatening violence, take it to the police. Make sure he doesn't have your full name/info tho. Otherwise, better stock up on some shotguns incase he's some angry dipshit who might decide to come over to your house for reporting him to the police.
Nah, the father didn't threaten...the kid SAID his father would rip my head off. Big difference.

If the father had threatened me this would all be dealt with already and over one way or another, I don't deal very well with threats. ;)

In preschool I would worry less about such threats. But if my kid was threatened with gun violence in middle school or high school, and it was an ongoing thing, I'd probably remove him from the school. Frankly, I can't stand punks and bullies and if the school can't do anything about it, I'm not taking the chance that the kid doesn't really have access to weapons.

My kids are going to either a local elite magnet school, or Cupertino/Palo Alto schools, or private schools. These schools are such that they are either very hard to get into (lottery/waiting list), expensive areas to live in (real estate wise), or cost money, which means the parents give a shit about their kids education, and are more likely to be responsive if their kid is running around like the alpha ape.

Private schools in my area cost around $20k per year. The chances of getting into the best public schools around here are slim due to they are a) lottery only and b) kids of people who work for the local government get priority! So each year, the number of lottery openings is relatively small since government workers get to send their kids first (a ripoff of my tax dollars if you ask me. I pay their salaries and pay for their school, yet all of their kids get first choice?) Anyway, I've already been stashing enough money every year to deal with when my son starts school in 2 years. Next year, at 2 1/2, he'll start in pre-school which is alot cheaper ($2500-4k per "semester")

My experience has been that generally the kids from private schools or "elite" schools or the punks and bullies. They come from house holds were they are brought up as already being the best, and not trying to be the best, very different. You basically just sounded like if someone has no money they're not worth your time, I'm sure you didnt mean that, but thats how you come across.

Digi, just be presistent, the worst thing you can do is let it pass, which I'm sure you wont.

Oh, and DC? We got excellent public schools in my town. Really. :)

Yeah, I ain't gonna let it pass but I don't see how trying to push things along at this point will help anything right now...seems to me that if I push tonight I'll be screwing up.

I don't see how much it'll screw things up to just wait until tomorrow morning to see what the what is. :)

so I'm the only one who went to a high school with serious gang violence, people getting the crap beaten out of them daily, things like that? admittedly, it was a high school in the middle of the projects (a holdover from segregation), but the experience can be quite good for a person.

Yes, public schools can be excellent, especially in areas where high real estate values rake in tons of property taxes. The Cupertino/Palo Alto schools I listed are all public. Housing prices in the are are ~$800k or more.

There's a difference between snobbery and bullying/hooliganism. It's true that private schools probably produce more people who are snobbish, but these schools don't tolerate students who act up. I went to a Catholic school (as an atheist, and back when my family was poor). Plenty of snooty and sanctimonious religious kids. But you know what? The school tolerated no fights, and no harassment. And if you missed a homework or did bad on a test, they were on the phone to your parents the next day. As opposed to the public schools I would have gone to (if my mother hadn't sent me to private parochial school) which had regular gang violence, kids being SHOT for Nike tennis shoes, jackets, et al.

Public schools are a crap shoot. In Silicon Valley, the best ones are pretty much "private" in the sense that you pay a huge real estate fee to live in the best school districts in order to qualify. >50% Asian population in the schools. Parents in these schools don't tolerate their kids being idiots. But in less wealthy areas? The statistics work against you. The majority of the kids will be fine, and the majority of the parents will be fine, but you'll be much more likely to encounter some ruffians whose parents don't give a shit, and a school administration that is either a) apathetic to your concerns b) afraid of the students c) afraid of parents suing over any punitive measures against their kids d) already overloaded with so much problems from illprepared kids that they can't do anything.

The simple fact is, schools that require a higher amount of sacrifice by the parents are likely to have favorable demographics and parents who are much more likely to be in control of their kids and responsive to bad behavior, and much less likely to be apathetic. These schools also are much less tolerant of disruptive students. In fact, one of the K-8 schools I am trying to get my son into "interviews" the kid when they are 4-5 years old to see how disruptive they are. They reject kids who show tendencies to be disruptive and disobedient. Yep, my own son might be rejected if he fails his grace period. Basically, there is no bullying, fighting, or harassment allowed in some of these schools, any of those activities are punished and there is always the threat of expulsion.

In high school, I went to an engineering magnet school that treated school like work. There was no "school uniform" but you had to dress "business casual". They told us in the 9th grade orientation to treat coming to school like coming to work. That they would treat us with respect and allow freedoms, as long as we showed respect for each other and the school, as well as the ability to hand responsibility. People had to refer to one another by last name, and in many cases, with honorifics, especially school staff. Teachers were addressed as Sir. You had to keep your workspace, desk, et al, reasonably clean as well as the school grounds. Conflicts were encouraged to be resolved by talking, but if not, go to your teacher or principal and talk about it.

Students were collectively punished, so when someone acted like a jerk, everyone loss privileges or had to do extra work or time. This lead to less of a tolerance for people starting fights or picking on other people directly. Basically, people just formed cliques and talked behind people's backs, but there was no fighting, and no outward verbal harassment. Some guy tried to harass me once and a whole group of people, not my friends, rose up to defend me and tell the guy to quit the bs.

Was it ideal? No. But the current anarchy by which US high schools are run as "lord of the flies" fiefdoms and the assumption that somehow being subjected to harassment and bullying and having dignity stripped away "makes you stronger" is ridiculous. Whenever I talk to immigrants about high schools in their home country, I literally can't believe it. The level of bullying and infighting between tribes seems far less.

Essentially, I want my son to go to a school that thinks the primary purpose is learning and not "trial by fire socialization" Yes, socialization is VERY important to success in career/business, but I don't think social skills are best built by enduring hazing rituals, fist fights, and group heckling and harassment. There are lots of people who seem to think "well, we all went through that, and it's what made us successful. It makes you a man, strong." Personally, I don't think abuse, humiliation, threat of physical violence, is the mechanism to learn conflict resolution, how to influence people and make friends, and how to compromise and socialize.

I personally have a low opinion of most public schools on average, and it highly depends on the district. Atleast the elite schools and private schools lay out their vision and how they plan to run things up front. Often with a local school, you have no idea what their overall student population managerial style is.

Hmm, your high priced schools sound just like your average run of the day public school here. My high school never had any violence issues, yes there were fights but it was handled quickly and with fitting punishment, once you're 16 they can kick you out whenever they see fit, and I've seen it happen a number of times from problem students. I guess my point of view comes from one with a high school that only had 1,000 students, and I guess you could say that I would never want to live in such a place as you do.

Bully now threatens with gun ? How old is this kid ?

The only Bullies I encounter were the one that stole your lunch. Even then I thought, they were just hungry and their parents can't afford to give them lunch. So I bought them lunch and they became my underlings.

One of the nice things about a suburb of Cincinnati is pretty melow schools. That plus my kids are more loner-ish than most, what with being ethical vegetarians at 7 and all (No, I'm not one - it was their thing). They don't do any clique things either.

That said, if there was such a threat at that age I'd be on the phone with the kids' parents that evening.

Intollerable.

It is highly dependent on where you live, since high schools are funded by property taxes. If you live near a ghetto, chances are your school sucks. If you live in the suburbs, you may do better. Where I live, some school districts are tainted by too many illegals from Mexico, so the issue isn't neccessarily violence, but underfunding and schools burdened by underprepared poverty stricken non-English speakers who get into school districts by preferential low income housing built in some of the better school areas, with the "theory" that mixing non-English poor speaking illegal immigrant latinos with top schools will somehow "trickle down". Usually the result has been the school's performance going into the toilet.

That is not to say that these kids are violent, or stupid, or less eager to learn. Immigrants usually have a hard work ethic, especially illegal immigrants. No, the problem is the fact that the schools are not prepared to do remedial English instruction, ESL, nor deal with social problems. Hell, even simply things like having a parent-teacher conference become difficult. In any case, the surge in the immigrant population has driven the ratio of funding and services down per capita.

What does happen, however, is that second generation latinos born 2 generations divorced from their immigrant grandparents do start to exhibit ghetto-culture aspects, gang violence, drugs, et al. This means it is even more vitally important to make sure the children of first generation illegals can climb the mobility ladder before they themselves have children.

In Los Angeles, defacto whole villages from Mexico have moved, and whole regions of the country are practically non-English speaking. The level of influx is not conducive to social harmony nor assimilation, and over time will generate more and more resentment. No one seems to "get it", that it's not about being hateful against latinos, but that there is a limit to the number or economic refugees the localities can absorb, and there are different dynamics involved in assimilation when you travel far and "cut your ties" with your community to be in a foreign place, vs bringing your community with you.

In any case, I have the choice between sending my son to a school with a 80% college attendance rate, and middle rung test scores, or to a school with 99% college attendance rate, and top test schools, I'm going to pick the best possible option for him. I see no reason to pick whatever is easiest and cheapest unless the money could be better spent on him in other ways, like if it was intefering with buying food, medicine, et al

I do have a local, brand new built K-8 school in my community (probably 1000ft from my house), but it will be years before it is known whether it is good or not, so I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket.

Back