Monitor Issue: Is hurting my eyes

my 19 inch only goes up to 70Hz (i use the hide values that it can't do option in disply tab).

and i frequently set it to 70 then return later to see it at 60.

it doesn't really bother me. and i still have 20/13 vision. if i play for hours on end maybe, but that's just overdoing it i'd guess

i don't get headaches and stuff. though i think i agree with the article i read that said it disturbs your sleep cycle. if im playing till 4am (seldom) im not tired at all UNTIL i turn the pc off, then i can barely get to my bedroom.

Angel, is the monitor still recognized by Windows when you restart? Meaning, if you go to Display Properties > Settings, do you see "IBM P96 on [your video card]"? Or do you see something like "Standard Monitor on [blah]"? If it's the latter, you have to reinstall the monitor .inf (I'd do it through Disp Props > Settings > Advanced > Monitor, so that you can also check the refresh settings) and find a way to make it stick. If you see it correctly listed, then something else is up with your PC, as 800x600 is the default safe setting for WinXP.

How is the monitor connected to your video card, by a regular VGA/DB15 cable, or via a DVI-VGA adapter? What video card are you using?

_xxx_, typically when you see "max refresh" in CRT advertising it's related to the max recommended resolution, not the monitor's actual max refresh rate. Yeah, I'm nitpicking. :p

Cartoon Corpse, you must mean your monitor only goes up to 70Hz at some high res, not 70Hz max at any res. Right? What monitor do you have?

Angel, is the monitor still recognized by Windows when you restart? Meaning, if you go to Display Properties > Settings, do you see "IBM P96 on [your video card]"? Or do you see something like "Standard Monitor on [blah]"? If it's the latter, you have to reinstall the monitor .inf (I'd do it through Disp Props > Settings > Advanced > Monitor, so that you can also check the refresh settings) and find a way to make it stick. If you see it correctly listed, then something else is up with your PC, as 800x600 is the default safe setting for WinXP.

How is the monitor connected to your video card, by a regular VGA/DB15 cable, or via a DVI-VGA adapter? What video card are you using?

_xxx_, typically when you see "max refresh" in CRT advertising it's related to the max recommended resolution, not the monitor's actual max refresh rate. Yeah, I'm nitpicking. :p

Cartoon Corpse, you must mean your monitor only goes up to 70Hz at some high res, not 70Hz max at any res. Right? What monitor do you have?

The pc really recognizes my monitor. The only problem is that sometimes it resets the resolution.

And yeah, it is listed on the display settings. The monitor is connected to my video card by a regular VGA cable.

My videocard is a Geforce 6600 PCI-E 256 mb.

Any help will be greatly apreciated.

Do you have the "60Hz override" enabled? I think you need coolbits2 for it, but that might just fix what ails you.

For some idiotic reason WindowsXP tries to always game at 60Hz, you have to usually forcibly override it some how.

(On nVidia & ATi cards, although points to ATi for having it in the controls by default with CCC. Then again it's been a while since I played with nVidia so they may have added it to the default drivers too. )

actually refresh rate override was shown by default on nvidia drivers, but they hid it from 7x.xx drivers and onwards. So, you either need coolbits, or the first thing I do everytime I've installed nvidia drivers is go into regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak , add a DWORD named NvCplDisableRefreshRatePage , and let it at 0.

they say it's hidden because it can cause some problems in rare situations, but that sound like bullshit, it never caused anything for me. I nonetheless still prefer it to ATI's override. ATI only lets you choose one global frequency, so let's take my monitor which can do 800 120Hz, 1024 100Hz, 1152 (or my custom resolution, 1200x900) 85Hz, 1280 75Hz, 1600 65Hz.
Set 100Hz in ATI CCC and you lose the ability to use resolutions > 1024. Set 85Hz, and the lower resolutions can't have more than that. NV allows a different refresh rate for each resolution thus the monitor can do its best at any res.

Angel, is the monitor still recognized by Windows when you restart? Meaning, if you go to Display Properties > Settings, do you see "IBM P96 on [your video card]"? Or do you see something like "Standard Monitor on [blah]"? If it's the latter, you have to reinstall the monitor .inf (I'd do it through Disp Props > Settings > Advanced > Monitor, so that you can also check the refresh settings) and find a way to make it stick.

After double checking the matter i noticed that this is the actual problem. I entered to the display settings and saw that when the problem occurs, it has "standar monitor" as my default on, instead on my IBM p96.

I just resintalled the drivers but still dont know if its going to stick with them. Its there a way to force to it to keep it?

And thank you for the advice.

Cartoon Corpse...what brand of videocard do you use? If ATI, then Ati Tray Tools is a wonder for forcefully making Windows stick to certain refresh rates.

I basically remove all available refresh rates, and just manually add all the modes I want to use, then reset the display driver. Once that's done, Windows behaves quite nicely. Otherwise, i'd find that i'd add a 'forced' refresh rate of, say, 1280x1024 @ 120hz, and find that after quitting any OpenGL games, Windows would force it back down to 85hz and lock out the ability to change the refresh rate until I restarted. Just using those modes that I want cleared this up...

As for Coolbits and forcing refresh rates on Nvidia cards...I swear, it never just 'works'. Some games refuse to load, others refuse to run at the forced refresh rates, some games run like absolute crap because Coolbits just causes problems for them. It drove me mad when I was stuck on a 6600gt, having to modify settings every time I wanted to play something. :mad:

You're quite welcome, AC. I feel your eyes' pain. :smile:

How are you installing the monitor .inf, via Device Manager or via Display Properties? Did you try restarting Windows immediately after installing the .inf?

Ah, is the monitor on when you boot the PC? B/c if it isn't, Windows may default to "standard monitor."

Back