Monitor Issue: Is hurting my eyes

Angelcurio

Regular
My monitor was damaged a couple of days ago, and my father gave me a 19 inchs CRT one. Now, after i installed the monitor, i notice that my eyes feel tired extrememly fast. The resolution is set in 1024*768.

I put the brightness level into zero, and the contrast into 50% percent and my eyes still hurt.

I guess it has something to do with refresh rate, even though i dont know which is the correct refresh rate for my monitor.

I changed the resolution to 800*600 in the meantime, in that resolution my eyes does not hurt as much.

Sounds like your refresh rate is at 60Hz which is a REAL eye-killer, try setting it to 85Hz. That's a pretty safe setting for any 19" monitor at the resolutions you're at.

60Hz sucks dude, you have my fullest sympathies. :(

At 800*600 and 60hz is not bad at all, but in 1024*768 my eyes hurt a lot.

I tried 85 hz in 1024/768 but they still hurt, not as much as before, but still hurt :???:

Time to replace it with a quality LCD.

I've been running 1280x1024 @ 60Hz for ages, and while I can notice a slight flicker if I concentrate, it's never bothered me. In fact, it's probably a good thing, since if it did bother you it would force you to look away now and then, thus sparing your eyesight. I know in my case, I have a friend who uses computers less then me, yet his eyes are shot and mind are still something like 20/15.

ANY 19" monitor should be able to support 1024x768@85Hz and 800x600@100Hz.
Hell, if its any good it should handle 1024x768@100Hz. (or even 1152x868)
I personally can't tell the difference between 85 and 100Hz sitting in front of monitor. But if I stay whole day... 85 gives me headache in th evening, 100 is fine.
As for eyes hurting... Are you short-sighted?
That seems the answer for me - 60Hz at any resolution is awful, if you say that 800x600@60 is better for you than 1024x768@85... then believe me your problem is not the refresh rate... but the size of screen text/icons and the distance between you and the monitor.
easy check - set 1024x768@100/85 and set using large icons and large text, if that feels better - time to check your eyes...

Which monitor is that? Most brand manufacturers have drivers for their monitors which will give you the correct refresh rates. Or at least a specsheet which will show you all refresh rates you can use in given resolution. Needless to say, you always need the highest possible.

And 60Hz is absolutely not acceptable.

60Hz gives me a migraine within 5 minutes. As in, I have to lie down with my eyes closed or I start vomiting.

It's a bad thing.

60Hz gives me a migraine within 5 minutes. As in, I have to lie down with my eyes closed or I start vomiting.

It's a bad thing.
I'm not that bad, but whenever I'm doing a re-install I have to be careful how much I look at the screen until I get the viddy drivers loaded. :oops:

My monitor is IBM branded, its maximum refresh rate is 85hz.

Right now i am posting from my job, here i have a small ´15 crt monitor with the resolution set on 800*600 and its really nice, my eyes feel really confortable with it.

I tried setting my home monitor at 85hz and even though it hurts a lot less, it still gives me headaches after a while :mad:

Max. 85Hz means mostly that it has them with the lowest resolution, the higher you go the less the refresh rate. It probably doesn't do those 85Hz you're trying at all, but falls back on 60.

what's the monitor model name / product number, so we can look at its page on the IBM site to know the frequency specs (IBM is pretty great for the support it offers, you'll be able to find the monitor driver without problem as well).
Unless it's really low end it should do 1024 at 100Hz and 800x600 at 120Hz (my IBM G76 17" does that), or more.
/edit : when your monitor is seen as "plug'n'play monitor" by windoze, max refresh can be limited to 85Hz ;)

and yes, maybe we can blame your sight. or you're sitting too close to that screen (19" begins to be pretty big IMO.)
sometimes I feel being ~one foot away from my 17" (not very big desk) is a bit of a discomfort.
Room's lighting is especially important as well, it has to be lit enough and you shouldn't have nasty reflections on the screen.

then my advice about brightness / contrast : there's only one right setting for brightness, to set it right you put both settings at 100% then you decrease brightness till the exact point where black becomes really black. then lower contrast according to your taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, pretty great screen. from the specs I can guarantee you it's able to do 1024 at 120Hz, if your system doesn't allow more than 85Hz get the .inf file here http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4VPSMK

it says it's for win95 and 98, but it works anyway, monitor drivers are'nt real drivers. you might have to install it by hand in device manager.

Wao.

Thanks a lot. Seriously, thanks a lot.

My systen wasnt letting me go beyond 85 hz, but with those drivers now i could set it to 120 hz and its really nice. My eyes are not suffering anymore.

Thanks a lot buddy.

BTW, my mouse is almost flying now :LOL:

Offtopic: Now that we are on it, could someone explain me why and how refresh rates are related with headaches and eyes tiring feeling?

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that your eyes tries to focus on each field that is drawn because they are drawn so slow. A higher refresh rate makes the field transitions too fast for your eyes, so there is less strain.

Wow. Not too many people suffer from 85 Hz. I can accurately guess refresh rates from about 65-75 Hz based on the pain. I'm usually very comfortable at 85Hz. Of course an LCD at 60 Hz is just find thanks to the persistence of the image.

Hi guys. Now i am having another weird problem.

Normally, i dont shut down my pc by clicking start, shut down, etc.

What i normally do is close all aplications and after that i press the power button on the pc case, and it automatically closes everything and shut downs the pc.

In the recent days i have notices that a couple of times i have turned my pc on, and come to realize that the resolution has been reset. It should be at 1024*768, but it appears at 800*600.

Does anyone have an idea of the cause of the problem?

Back