Mobile Upgrade time again

Tahir2

Veteran
Supporter
OK then so my O2 simplicity deal is running out and I need a new phone plus contract.

Contract-wise don't really want to spend anything over £25 a month, and for a great deal dont mind being tied in for 24 months.

So with that in mind anyone have advice on phones?

So far I am thinking about the rather cute but powerful Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini - £30 on Three with some cashback - 2000 x-network minutes and a 1GB data limit per month should keep me happy! Or for even less I can drop to 900 minutes on various contracts.

I have smallish fingers so the small screen shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Anyone have any suggestions on phones?

Must have's:

Small (I don't want a mini-tablet in my pocket)
Internet capable (wifi and 3G)
Android
Camera with flash for those random, "Wow look at that!" moments.

phone service by you is that cheap?

Here in the states 500minutes , unlimited text , messaging , data is $70 + $10 for 4 g if you get the evo from sprint and thats one of the cheapest plans that will allow an andriod plan.

I just got me an android evo 4g through work...they are footing the bill for the plan and I am keeping the hardware and I must say the experience is quite staggering. It is not perfect but boy is it close. And I concur with eastmen it is probably the best bang for your buck plan you can get. Never thought Sprint would be the one to offer such awesomeness. 4g coverage is still spotty but damn it is fast when it works!

My sister got the Samsung Spica (seems to be called Portal in the UK) because it came basically for free with the cheapest contract (125 minutes, 2 year contract with unlimited internet for 15 Euros a month). The model seems to be being phased out, but with an official 2.2 upgrade that's not a big deal. It has a significantly better resolution than the Xperia mini and isn't huge either (20 mm taller). Seemed nice enough to me at a cursory glance (for the price).

Oops no flash, but it's not like led flash carries to any significant distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decisions, decisions!
I have a frind that has effectively put me off the Mini X10 for good. Screen is too small for web browsing.

He is also strongly recommending the IPhone 3GS over Android. The Samsung Portal looks interesting and the Desire is nice but ugly! Love the look of the HTC Legend but Three do not have that. :(

Decisions, decisions!
I have a frind that has effectively put me off the Mini X10 for good. Screen is too small for web browsing.

He is also strongly recommending the IPhone 3GS over Android. The Samsung Portal looks interesting and the Desire is nice but ugly! Love the look of the HTC Legend but Three do not have that. :(

If you're interested in browsing, then Android 2.2 does Flash, where the Iphone doesn't.

HTC Legend is good too. Though that won't be getting the flash update in 2.2 but for mobile browsing I'm not that interrested in flash anyway. Plus you do have flash lite so you can always watch movies.

Camera is ''good'' too. Even managed to get real lense flair with it yesterday :p And its a good looking phone I think. The desire isn't very pretty and too large for my taste.

Back