• 25-30 (40.2-48.3)

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • 30-40 (48.3-64.4)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • >40 (>64.4)

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Well, how about a 20 mile, 8kWh battery version then ? Or a 10 mile version:
The cost relationship is the same, though. A 20 mile version only saves the driver half as much per day as the 40 mile version, so the savings per month are half as much, and the tolerable price premium over regular hybrid is also only half as much.

I can imagine a manufacturer offering different battery sizes, though. If you only drive 20 miles a day, a 40-mile battery is just extra cost for nothing.

Anyway, with all the examples of PHEVs in this thread, it's clear that this problem will solve itself. Gradually over the next few decades we will lower our dependance on gasoline substantially. In a few years it will be just plain stupid not to buy a PHEV.

The big issue now is electricity generation.

The cost relationship is the same, though. A 20 mile version only saves the driver half as much per day as the 40 mile version, so the savings per month are half as much, and the tolerable price premium over regular hybrid is also only half as much.

Of course. But the main additional cost for a PHEV compared to a regular hybrid is the larger battery. You could f.e turn the Prius into a PHEV by just switching the battery, with the drawback that the electric engine is rather weak so you'll still need the ICE for acceleration.

I can imagine a manufacturer offering different battery sizes, though. If you only drive 20 miles a day, a 40-mile battery is just extra cost for nothing.

Exactly. That's definitely one of the big benefits of the PHEV.

Anyway, with all the examples of PHEVs in this thread, it's clear that this problem will solve itself. Gradually over the next few decades we will lower our dependance on gasoline substantially. In a few years it will be just plain stupid not to buy a PHEV.

The big issue now is electricity generation.

I agree. It's not a question of if anymore, it's when. The Volt will be released ~2010 but i'm thinking that it'll take a few years more before PHEVS become really affordable.

Electricity is interesting, i've heard number llke 6% of the current production in the US to run all cars on electricity. 5% for Sweden. One of the large electricity providers said that it would take around 400 5MW windpower plants to supply all cars in Sweden with electricity. That doesn't sound like a big problem to me. And we get around 50% of our electricity from hydroplants so we have a big "battery" backup for the more inconsinstent windpower.

Back