Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor

I think SoM was about as cross-platform as Watch Dogs, Rise of the Tomb Raider, MK X, or Alien Isolation were. I.e. not really. The devs built the games they wanted to build to the best of their capabilities using the newest hardware, and then some poor souls had to somehow make these games work on platforms which were never designed to handle them. In MK X's case they actually said fuck it, gave up and canned the thing. Heck, SoM's last gen ports suffered more than just visual downgrades and performance deficits. They actually couldn't get the Nemesis system working as intended either. In a sense this is still one of the few games that didn't use the new machines to exclusively push more and prettier pixels.

If Horizon had antagonistic Dinosaur assholes haunting me like the War Chiefs in SoM (or better yet: some non-cosmetic idea to call its own) I might actually enjoy it. As it is, it's just a really pretty pastiche of countless open-world game that came before it, and for the life of me I cannot understand what's so special about it.

You may not like this but this is a combination of open world mechanics that is very popular with lots of people - possibly except towers but you don't need to do the Tall Necks (towers) in Horizon, you can just explore and reveal the map. I always liked the Ubisoft formula found in Assassins Creed, Far Cry and WATCH_DOGS. My dislike of older AC games was not related to the formula but crappy combat and crappy missions, long since fixed IMHO. I like having an open map to explore, with some variety and some side activities for variety.

But even within the Ubisoft formula, Horizon has utterly satisfying and varied combat, great characters and an interesting story to tell. More importantly it's not doing the Uncharted thing of wresting control from you every 10 minutes to throw you a QTE because it wants to be like a film. I loathe the scripted environment crap which is overly pervasive in Uncharted 3, Uncharted 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider and other games.

Maybe it helped I was a skeptical of Horizon, given the gameplay looked repetitive and I hated the stories and characterisations in the Killzone games. You can argue the gameplay is repetitive but the second-to-second combat is just so damn good for me, just like the driving in Motorstorm. I didn't; mind losing a race in Motorstorm because driving was so much fun in itself. Combat is like that for me in Horizon. It's satisfying to take down a dozen things stealthily and it's satisfying when things go tits up and go super chaotic.

I gelt much the same about Shadow of Mordor.

Yesterday I was just f- around, because I don't yet really know how the objectives work, and I killed like 15 of these motherf- with zero health left, it was amazing! I'll see if I can upload the clip

Back