Metro 2033 [X360]

Where in the article does it say so?

It doesn't, but the characters are like day and night compared to their previously released shots that shows character tessellation on dx11. I'd go as far as say that character models on 360 look less detailed than even the non-tessellated Pc shoots (they showed a comparison back when HD 5870 was announced).

It doesn't, but the characters are like day and night compared to their previously released shots that shows character tessellation on dx11. I'd go as far as say that character models on 360 look less detailed than even the non-tessellated Pc shoots (they showed a comparison back when HD 5870 was announced).
So you are comparing the 360 to a modern pc?

Digitalfoundary's article is up...I wonder if GG has managed to overcome the "bad optimization" Oles was talking about. That said ~2GB of textures for 360 ver @ 1024*1024 resolution is impressive indeed :)

"The majority of our Metro 2033 game runs at 40 to 50 frames per second, if we disable v-sync on 360," says Shishkovtsov. "The majority of the levels have more than 100MB heap space left unused. That means we under-utilised the hardware a bit."
Wow, running at 40-50FPS with 100MB spare....that's quite a lot of under-utilization in my books.
may even use those for doing some additional post processing :|

very nice article, cant wait for second part. Im very impressed by the amount of work they did on 360 really pushing hardware to its limits. I hope they will realase demo soon and wee all can check how well final result looks.

Screenshots. Monster, characters, weapon/hand arent smooth like it would with tesselation.

That just depends on how many polygons you want to use in the highest LOD version and how you distribute them...

I can't really understand this obsession with tesselation, it's not a magic bullet or anything... Especially not on systems not engineered to fully utilize it.
The scene's final polygon count will still depend on the triangle setup rate of the hardware and if nothing's done on that front then tesselation can't really help much. Especially considering that it'll create a LOT of geometry mindlessly, significantly lowering the efficiency of the vertex processing. It's better to build highly optimized models instead, that's a far better way to make the most out of the current console hardware.

As for the game, the engine tech does look very, very good, but I just never really liked the art style of both this and the Stalker games, except maybe the outdoor environments.
The comparison with KZ2 is unfortunate because of this; both the design and the execution of Guerilla's artwork is vastly superior IMHO.

It would be interesting to see what other devs can do with the engine, though.

Wow, astounding console graphics - looks superb...seems that Xbox360 recovers this year from the rather mixed last year (with respect to exclusives)!
I think that it is a good thing that they focus on only one console - should result in a better game (although I hope that the sometimes also consider the ol PS3).
The tech director seems to be a funny guy, although (imo) it is not noble to ditch other developers and it seems to be a little arrogant to downplay KZ2 graphics...

Regarding the shown stuff, I am a little bit surprised regarding the shown gameplay clips...there seems to be a lot of action (which I ultimately welcome) but regarding the book and the story (iirc) the action was not so pronounced.

Nevertheless, it is now on my watch list :smile:

As for the game, the engine tech does look very, very good, but I just never really liked the art style of both this and the Stalker games, except maybe the outdoor environments.
The comparison with KZ2 is unfortunate because of this; both the design and the execution of Guerilla's artwork is vastly superior IMHO.

It would be interesting to see what other devs can do with the engine, though.

Im in agreement that some of the art was a mixed bag in STALKER, although STALKER did a marvelous job of recreating the desired atmosphere (and of course this is a nod to the art direction as well). If Metro can capture the results then they are definitely moving in the right direction.

One of the best DF dev interviews yet. Was surprised at some things with their console development history.

Also surprised they were thinking about 2x2 supersampling. Glad to hear they went with a more reasonable approach. The AAA looks really good at a glance. Article ended too soon though. Wanted to hear about their HDR and physx implementation.

and it seems to be a little arrogant to downplay KZ2 graphics...

I don't think he was trying to downplay it's graphics at all. Just a technical observation that perhaps they could've done more with their dynamic lighting. I think he got it wrong with the light probe stuff though. Their IBL was actually supposed to help make the dynamics blend with the surroundings and not look out of place.

It's better to build highly optimized models instead, that's a far better way to make the most out of the current console hardware.

Ya well I said I didn't notice tesselation in the console screenshots. However fact is that tesselation in Metro 2033 looks great and that is all I need to know. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back