mdlling animting 3d question.

I've been trying a few of the free 3d mdlling/anim packs outhere, and I've realized that I'd prefer working with models in realtime(aka seeing the textures and everything working all the time, without having to click render to simply get a single frame.).

I've heard of something called machinimia(or something like that), I'd like something like that( ease of function). I'll be spending some time googling this stuff up, but prior to doing so I'd like to know if any one here's got some tips/knowledge/recommendations.

I'd also like to be able to import models like say those found in nvidia/ati demos or other games, if possible and modify such.

Thanks in advance,
zidane

PS: While I've bought several books/mags related to 3d modelling, and I've d/l tens of hours of vid tutorials, and 100s of pages on this stuff. I've barely scratched the material I've got.

I'd just like a simple modelling/animation tool with realtime functionality/interactivity(at decent lvl of detail, nv/ati demo esque) and ease of use, so as to preview my work before deciding to go and do a full-blown full quality cgi. Free if possible.

To be honest with you I'm not so sure this is the right place for you. Beyond3D is a very technical place and doesn't really seem to be THE place where artists come.

I suggest you check out http://www.blender.org for modelling program.

http://www.cgtalk.com might also be a better place to present this question.

I'm not trying to down anyone here in any way.

Well, last time I got several recommendations for free 3d rendering s/w. Maybe there's an option in some of these programs to keep the model with all features on(I'll try checking on that.). Right now, from the free stuff I've d/led I like openfx(I think that's what it's called).

Oh, and thanks for the link, I'd not been to that site for quite a while(only glanced through.). I'd take the time and register ask there.

PS I've googled and found some interesting stuff: gamespace(or gameplace) lite, nvidia cg tools, poser, z-brush. Yeah some of it's not rt, some're trial but they're all good from what I hear. 3ds max7 trial, and the free gamer version, all in all (I just d/l'ed 5GBs!!!).

Right now I want access to high-quality realtime 3d models, some of the stuff I've d/l some of the stuff I've got should help....

I'm not sure if Blender is real time or not. I believe it is. You should be able to model and texture in real time. Rendering is a completely different ball game and it ultimately depends on the quality. If you're trying to do it for in game graphics then there are a couple programs out there that can make your life easier.

london-boy I do believe knows more on this subject.

Sonic said:
I'm not sure if Blender is real time or not. I believe it is. You should be able to model and texture in real time. Rendering is a completely different ball game and it ultimately depends on the quality. If you're trying to do it for in game graphics then there are a couple programs out there that can make your life easier.

london-boy I do believe knows more on this subject.

Thanks, I'll be c/p this post at cgtalk later on, and I'll pm london-boy if he doesn't enter this thread.

Now for a clearer definition of what it is I want to do. I want to model some char.s in dawn-nalu lvls of detail with a rt all-effects applied interactive interface and integrated rt animation software. I want a prog that's as easy as possible and yields the most results in the least amount of time.

Pre-constructed 3d models, scenes would also be nice. Right now I'm d/l crystal space and I'll d/l several pre-built models(if there are pre-rigged-animation-ready-whatevah, it'd be best).

What is it that I intend to accomplish?

1. see moving 3d representations of:

A.) Some anime char.s converted to 3d(I'm quite skilled at drawing/modelling, but something tells me using and slightly modifying pre-constructed-rigged models will save me a lot of time and give the best results possible.)
B.) Create some models based on real-life celebs, etc.
C.) Non-bizarro format so as to easily update models with latest photo-realistic s/w techniques.

PS lip-synch, and easy facial animations would be nice, and so too would physics based proc animations or whatevah it's called

2. After perfecting the models I want to:

A.) Create machinimia(is that the word?) esque vids.
B.) Use some free open-source game engine, with slightly modified pre-built assets to create some games for non-profit personal use.
C.) Use the latest full-professional-quality textures/shaders/iq enhancements to make a few 3d cgi movies(recycling animations/scenes/sounds from the machinimia vids.).

Most Important of all, I want to do this as efficiently as possible... that is in the least amount of time possible while learning as much as reasonably possible for an individual who's not going to be working full-time in this field. After learning from many a field I've come to realize, that often access to quick but intelligently compiled review material of most any field can give you high lvl know-how in a fraction of the time. Often one spends hrs/months learning some stuff that could've been tought in minutes/days simply cause the material is to unintelligently organized or presented in a tedious kind a way.

I am not sure what you want, but Machinima AFAIK is using videogames to create a movie. Or creating a movie within computer game environment. If you want what you want, probably wait for UE3.

V3 said:
I am not sure what you want, but Machinima AFAIK is using videogames to create a movie. Or creating a movie within computer game environment. If you want what you want, probably wait for UE3.

I'll share the results of my efforts till now, so that all interested may benefit.

Right now, I've taken some time to check out some of the s/w demos, and open source stuff I've d/léd. From the files I've got, I think poser 6 would be suitable(though I'm having some trouble with modelling the face in the demo, can't get the eyes big enough, but from other models I've seen in their site it should be possible to get them big enough) as well as the OGRE open source 3d engine(which I've yet to try, but the pics look good enough for what I want).

The poser s/w has cel-shading ability built-in it seems, with pre-rigged, pre-animated loops, as well as many a model and cloth I can probably edit in the final version. The quality of the preview r-t model is supah, and the renders are excellent. Ease of use is superb(though I'm having trouble with collision detection, even when I activate it... must be some parameter I must change for it to work properly... probably ), and I was tweaking and moving with ease from the get go, given the features of the full-fledged s/w and the price, I think this one's a go go.

Zbrush I"ve yet to try, but from what I've heard here, elsewhere, the reviews, and part of the manual or d/l pdf, the ease of use/ features sound sexy sexy sexy, I'll try the demo and see if it's as cool as it sounds.

Maya, just started seeing a tutorial of it... and fck that looks like it was designed for semi-autistic humans... too many options, too unintuitive, too cluttered and it seemed(maybe I'm mistaken) like you've to alter a parameter and exit the menu to see the outcome(again maybe IIR incorrectly). I hate that, I like to be able to see what changing a number-parameter does in realtime while I'm changing it.

For texturing bodypaint sounds cool, but with no demo and a not-so cheap price I'm not sure if it's worth it for a hobbyist.

In sum,
Poser 6 feels nice and I get the feeling I'll be able to recreate cel-shaded and photo-real versions of anime characters with custom cloths/hair and animate them in at most a few hours. Which is quite acceptable. Now I'm not sure if I'll be able to use these models and animations in conjunction with ogre, but that sure'd be nice(fps/rpgs with representations of some people I know, hehe). It'd also be nice if I could also use it with some other 3d s/w package that I like later on, or with the zbrush app.

BTW, what I want to do is import models into an open source game engine and make some fps rpgs and action-adventure games. I imagine if the engine(this one or anyone other) is easy enough to use allows imports(even if I've to import from poser to another 3d app before passing it on to the engine), it'd be easy to use some video-capture equipment and make the machinimia-esque vids.

EDIT:

I've also d/led the half-life 2 softimage xsi v4.2 3d animation software from gamespot... I'll be trying that out too.

Back