M$ shows G800... in DX9 demos...

One big piece of unfinished DirectX business that Microsoft has promised to deliver soon is a full .Net binding to DirectX. (See Phil Taylor's recent emails in the DirectXDev mailing list.)

Perhaps they will call this .Net binding DirectX 9, and then call the new hardware API DirectX 9.1?

Or maybe it's the other way around -- maybe the Inquirer got it wrong, and DX 9 will support the new hardware, and come out this fall, while DX 9.1 supports .Net and comes out in 2003? That sounds more reasonable.

Unless, of course, MS knows that no DX9-level hardware is actually going to ship this year? (Say it isn't so!)

duffer said:
Or maybe it's the other way around -- maybe the Inquirer got it wrong, and DX 9 will support the new hardware, and come out this fall, while DX 9.1 supports .Net and comes out in 2003? That sounds more reasonable.

Just my thought on the matter.

Regards, LeStoffer

IIRC some time ago (1996 or 1997?) Carmack was talking about a new game engine named Trinity (never finished). His vision for this new engine was a completelly outdoor/indoor capable game engine. He described something like a caracter flying for many miles and then landing in the top of a castle and getting inside the castle without any problem.

Will displacement mapping help with it?

edited: See this interview http://www.voodooextreme.com/articles/interview_jc.html

VE: Is Trinity dead? Do you have plans, after Q3 is finished, to resume work on Trinity, or is it dead, for sure?
John: I have always been a little puzzled how "trinity" became a specific thing. At the end of Quake 1, I started doing a bit of future research with morphing level of detail representations and other things. We got tired of just talking about "the next technology", and Michael Abrash suggested following Intel's strategy of naming development work for nearby rivers. Dallas -> trinity river.

It was always just a convenient way of talking about stuff I was looking at that wasn't part of the current technology. I had several completely different experimental rendering frameworks that I worked with under the "trinity" name: full surface unique texture rep, voxel splat, voxel ray cast, deformed environment meshes, lummigraphlets, terrain morphing, etc.
edited2: See this too 8) http://www.planetquake.com/Trinity/infobytype.html
Rendering Engine Features

Will use OpenGL for rendering. (Source: An email from John Carmack to Jim Lowell. 12/8/97)
Will use displacement maps for added detail on close objects. (Source: A note which Brian Hook sent to the Fatcity OpenGL Mailing List. 12/1/97)

What about a enhanced Doom3 engine with more passes and displacement mapping doing big outdoors 8)

pascal said:
What ??? Do you believe doing it realtime in software emulating hardware ???
Of course I do. One don't need to emulate the hw, one just needs to write the main algorithm via software.
Displacement mapping is not too hard to do, interactive frame rates are possible on current CPUs...

ciao,
Marco

Well, you dont need to emulate all the gates of the hardware, but emulating displacement mapping is not enough.

For example one will need to emulate other algorithms like the filtering using the CPU.

pascal said:
For example one will need to emulate other algorithms like the filtering using the CPU.
You'd better watch some good sw rasterizer. I coded a fast (25 fps, 320x256x8 bit) trilinear-filtering roto-zoomer on my old 25 mhz/460 ns access memory Amiga4000 almost 5 years ago.
With SIMD extensions is even easier to code stuff like that, with tiled textures bilinear filtering could be almost free, hiding operations with mem latency. I can't see why a modern CPU with a fast submemory system can't do it.

ciao,
Marco

Is it possible to use current hardware to do some algorithms and software to do the displacement mapping?

The mountains resolution was too good, probably 1024x768 or better. See the Windows line at the bottom.

pascal said:
Is it possible to use current hardware to do some algorithms and software to do the displacement mapping?
Of course it is. Do all the displacement stuff on cpu and send the generated geometry to the graphics card.

ciao,
Marco

Oh well, it is probably a displacement mapping software emulation using some Matrox 3D card to do the other tasks. :(

Thanks nAo :)

nAo: don't jump on gun.

I am 99% sure that those videos weren't running on SW.
Displacement maps with that amount of tesselation on CPU and getting acceptable framerates?? well, I really would like to see that.

I have one pretty simple Displacement Mapping demo running totally on SW and with 1Ghz Athlon TB I get about 14 fps with 18Kpolys tesselation and 320x200x8 displacement map. And eventhough that demo on those videos would have used some parts on HW and some SW, it would have been just too much for CPU.

and don't get me wrong... I understand your point of view, but there is a huge jump from Trilinear filtered rotozoomer (Future Crew had this on their Second Reality btw. Or was it using even Anisotropic?? :) ) to Displacement Mapping (with that amount of tesselation.) done in SW.

and nAo: check out the Soiled Legacy from Resource. That is freaking awesome demo if you ask me. and it is running on good old C64! so get a copy of CCS64 and grab that demo from http://c64.ch and I can promise that you need to pick up your jaw from the floor more than once. :)

Our 'mole' at GDC had this to say about the Matrox presentation:

Matrox seems to have working silicon during their displacement mapping demos they showed it in realtime (was too fast to be software emulated) they also ran 3D Max on that same machine and showed displacement mapping design for a game in realtime. The machine only crashed once, unfortunatly they immediatly turned off the display so we could not see the BIOS bootscreen. Displacement mapping seems to be very cool but there are quite a few limits imposed on the artwork (to avoid getting gaps in the meshes).

Back