M$ shows G800... in DX9 demos...

Nappe1 said:
getting acceptable framerates?? well, I really would like to see that.
Umh..that video is pretty bad, but it doesn't show any acceptable framerate :)

and don't get me wrong... I understand your point of view, but there is a huge jump from Trilinear filtered rotozoomer (Future Crew had this on their Second Reality btw. Or was it using even Anisotropic?? :) ) to Displacement Mapping (with that amount of tesselation.) done in SW.
FC's rotozoomer was the worst part of that demo, a low precision unmipmapped point filtered mess :)

ciao,
Marco

nAo: well, the year was also 1992 so what else you expect? ;) 386 was a glorious thing and some rich ppl might have mighty 486 machine, but 286 wasn't rare either.

(btw, 2nd reality runs pretty well on 286 10Mhz with 287 on machine with MCA bus.) :)

nAo: and watch that demo!! :) it really something pretty cool. ;)

Re: It was done in Hardware

Hi Rags,
Listen to the voice. Clearly states it was done in Hardware with Matrox hardware.
Whoop, didn't realise there was a soundtrack with the movie (office PC . . .). I stand corrected. :oops:

OK, anybody in for a G800 speculation session? ;)

ta,
.rb
________
easy vape vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator:
pascal said:
Some Photoshop help needed here: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0322/dx9_5.jpg
Could someone invert the yellow to black and apply some sharp filter in the JPG above?
It's nothing too exciting, goes something like this:

FA? - Toggle Text Display
L?? - Dynamic Tessellation (on)
C? - Tessellation Factor (320:1) (not sure about these numbers)
?? - Displacement Scale (1.30:1) (not sure about these numbers either)
YA? - Displacement Interpolation Type (linear)
TA? - Sun Angle 135,000000 degrees
Z/X - Sun Light Factor 1.000
C/V - Sky Light Factor 1,000
1/2 - Toggle Terrain & Sky Radiance Texture (on)
3/4 - Toggle Detail Color & Detail Horizon Map Texture (off) (could be "on" as well...)
5/6 - Toggle Normal Map & Horizon Map Texture (on)
7/8 - Toggle Clouds Texture (on)
W?S - Fill Mode (solid)
R?? - Fog (enabled)

Nappe1 said:
nAo: don't jump on gun.

I am 99% sure that those videos weren't running on SW.
Displacement maps with that amount of tesselation on CPU and getting acceptable framerates?? well, I really would like to see that.

I have one pretty simple Displacement Mapping demo running totally on SW and with 1Ghz Athlon TB I get about 14 fps with 18Kpolys tesselation and 320x200x8 displacement map. And eventhough that demo on those videos would have used some parts on HW and some SW, it would have been just too much for CPU.

I really don't see what should be so hard in having Disp map on SW,
I use it all the time... it just calculate the new position of the vextex once.
I even use to run an .avi file for disp map, 256*256, on a 40*40 patch, no
problem.

Listen to the video again:
"version pixel shader ... and displacing mapping ... and the Matrox displacing mapping hardware"

Well, was it done using some Matrox hardware partially or totally?

The key is the "version pixel shader". What is the current Matrox hardware supporting pixel shader? None right? :D

edited: Looks like it was a 1024x768 pixel shader with displacing mapping presentation. The totally done by Matrox hardware looks more plausible 8)

From www.matroxusers.com
Friday March 22, 2002
Displacement Mapping At GDC
News item posted at 20:37 GMT by Ant
It seems Microsoft have demoed DirectX9 displacement mapping at GDC showing off a couple of demo’s, and what's interesting about that you ask? Well it's displacement mapping for one and for two the demo had the word Matrox plastered over it. A report is over on a Japanese site, they have mpeg videos of the demo's and there are translations of sorts here and here in our forums. From the translation it seems to indicate the demo's are run in software but on one of the videos a voice can be heard to say it is running on Matrox displacement mapping hardware and it sure doesn't look like a G550 to me.
Are you starting to believe yet?

Tuesday March 19, 2002
Matrox To Sneak In A Glimpse Of Parhelia At GDC?
News item posted at 2:26 GMT by VigilAnt
As was posted here before by Ant, Matrox is scheduled to have some presentations at GDC. The most interesting is one by Juan Guardado . If you remember from last year, Juan showed a demo of displacement mapping running on unnamed hardware (now a G550). If you were at the event, you will remember the demo ran at a snail-paced 1-3 fps. Well, this year he is at it again, but this time I would bet we see some real hardware to push a demo of displacement mapping. Barring any unexpected problems, expect a preview of what Parhelia will be capable of.

Discuss this here.

VigilAnt

Matrox had used the software emulation before with a unanounced card.
Two things:
- It was too slow, then probably it is not the same software emulation.
- They used an announced card, maybe they are using another announced card this time too 8)

We need Sherlock Holmes help :)

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0329/dmap2.htm

dmap16.jpg

dmap10.jpg

now where is the hardware shot???

Parhelia will have displacement mapping demo on CD.
From MURC:
Haig:
I'll add something to clear it up.

If you get our card AND if we do have hardware DM, AND there is a DM demo on our cd, try it with your current XP system as is and see what happens.

This japanese articles states:
In GDC 2002, MS demonstrated displacement mapping demo with Software Emulation.
Not Matrox Hardware.

Back