Low-profile, RGB, membrane (or silent) keyboard

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
In a strange twist of fate my wife is gladly letting me get a new keyboard after accidentally spilling a coke all over mine yesterday. :)

Currently typing on a Velocifire brown mech keyboard, but my finger sensitivity has went to shite over the last few years and I've found that low profile keys help a great deal. Went to a cheap Redragon S101 that actually worked out fantastic for me. The lower keys made it much less stressful on my hands and easier for me to locate keys by feel, the built in wristrest really helped. Nothing real fancy, just I could set it to what color I wanted and brightness. The keyboard had a bit too much flex for my liking and bounced a bit since it wasn't perfectly flat, but it worked a hell of a lot better with my fingers!

Now I'm in the strange position where I don't have to cajole/argue with my wife about it, she knows I've been stressing out for a few weeks with the new puppy and losing my keyboard last night was a bit of a last straw and I snapped a bit. I didn't yell at anyone, just yelled as loud as I could while gritting my teeth trying to keep it in, then spent 20 minutes cleaning it all up.

So any advice on what to get? I want something soft and quiet, with low-profile. Was kicking around getting a Corsair K70 RGB low-profile, but they make a clicky noise. I don't want clicks, this Velocifire with browns and o-rings I put on it is still too loud for my likings. I don't mind membrane, I know that's not cool but it's better for me right now. I was looking at the Logitech Ultrathin K740, I used to love 'em a decade ago before the redesign but I've heard they have issues with ghosting on "shift"-"w"-"space", which would be a deal breaker...but it was the most comfy keyboard I ever typed on.

Now I don't know keyboards well, I just want something with a wrist rest that lets my hands know their position and low profile illuminated keys. I thought I'd ask y'all for advice since I know some of you are incredibly knowledgeable about this stuff.

Any suggestions? I decided the Huntsman Elite is a bit out of budget, don't want to be a dick. ;)

EDITED BITS: Oh yeah, most Corsairs are gone too. I don't like any keyboard that has a row of keys to the left of the esc/tab/caps/shift/cntrl key. Also want a full 104 key board. Thanks!

Hmm, the Corsair really isn't that loud and the reviews seem extremely good about comfort and such. I think I'll order it and forget about it. :)

It's here, the shade of blue I like and I got the wrong one. Got the silver switches instead of the red, but they feel good to me so I'm not bitching. :D

Feels fantastic actually, as nice as I imagined. Seldom does hardware live up to that for me. :love:

Note to self:
next time Digi wants a recommendation only look at the really expensive shit....
This is NOT standard operating procedure for me and you know it, but a combination of liking the low-profile membrane I had and just aggravation with life/overwhelming husbandly duties fueled me to search for the keyboard I wanted more than any other out there if price wasn't an object. After 2 days I found the this one and fell in love instantly, felt like it was "the right one" and decided even if it's double the cost of a normal mobo it's still less not that much at $150 and we're flush enough right now to afford it.

Plus any residual guilt just left me about an hour ago. My wife was getting fed up with dealing with the dog and the puppy and the puppy biting her was driving her insane while Buffy is STILL a little aggressive towards the pup so needs constant monitoring. She told me she was going to shower and go to the store, and could I make her an asparagus omelette while she was showering with toast with strawberry jelly on it? And then could I clean the dog/puppy piss/shit out of the living room rug, bedroom rug, her closet rug and anywhere else I could find. Also to do the dishes, and then to vacuum the swimming pool to get all the dead algea out of it.

Yeah, I earned this motherfucker. I'm having a bit of trouble with some double-taps on keys which I heard was a problem with the silvers switches which is why I wanted the reds, but it can be silent if I don't bottom them out and even if I do it's as quiet as a membrane unless I use hammer fingers.

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out the software and getting it to store the profiles I want onboard so I don't need the software running, but that's just something I gotta figure out. At least I don't have to log in to a cloud to make my keyboard work. ;)

I did get the default profile onboard to the shade of blue I like, so the rest is just play with and getting used to it. I think my double-types are just a getting used to it too, I REALLY like this board! The angle of the wrist rest up it is just bloody perfect, my hands are soooo comfy!!!!

I have a feeling this board will last a while, if not Corsair has always been great about warranties with me. Always loved their power supplies and memory, their keyboards are impressive too!

(I'd say I'd try one of their mice but hyper-scroll made me a Logitech bitch. Using a G502 Hero for a while now and it's been nothing but a pleasure.)

Oh, and sorry for the post lengths but a combination of a bitching new keyboard and me starting my amphetamine again makes for a noisy/chatty combination. Hopefully an effective one too...

I've also found that it's better to buy the slightly more expensive shit that's good than the cheap shit that isn't. I'm never happy down the road with settling, and it usually breaks a lot easier and just isn't as enjoyable.

Like my grampa used to ask me, do you buy a $5 pair of shoes that will last you a few months or do you buy a $50 pair that will last you for years? (He had his shoes repaired every 3 months, the 60s were a different time. Yes, I've been to a cobblers shop!)

Having had it a bit and having the color a dim blue I must say it's an exceptional typing experience and a whole lot easier for me to type on. Less typos, better speed, and more importantly I'm confident my fingers are where they're supposed to be.

The keys are incredible! Minimal travel distance to activate, yet resting my hands on the keys doesn't set them off. Quiet even when I bottom them out, and I've been learning not to bottom them out.

It wasn't an idiotic overspend like I thought, it was the right product for my needs and I'm quite satisfied and pleased. :love:

My 1 3 7 9 keys have just died on my keyboard {they still work on the numpad}
So I just ordered the GameMax Strike Outemu Red Mechanical RGB USB Gaming Keyboard that i reommended to digi

Ps: when it arrived the left shift keycap wasnt a left shift it was another "#" key so I emailed Gamemax and asked if they could send me a shift keycap in the post, it arrived today

Back